Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 28 Mar 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1878354)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Road Tax Exemption - Government Poll

Sign the petiton if you think the government should move the date for tax exemption.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/

Alternatively should the idea be scrapped?
Old 28 Mar 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1878361)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I've signed up to that. I'm biased, of course, but I think it should be a rolling 25 years. By then these cars will have paid their dues in tax, as well as neutralised their carbon footprint, despite what some of the environmentalists say. The problem I see is that there will be an opposing motion from those, and it could become a political hot potato.
Old 28 Mar 2007, 13:46 (Ref:1878414)   #3
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've signed.

Mind you I have a vested interest as well!

If there is no incentive many classic cars of the future will simply be allowed to rot away. As this country does not have a proper British car manufacturing industry any more it is essential that at least some of our heritage is preserved, and a sliding 25 year exemption could just be the incentive that is needed to do this.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 00:25 (Ref:1878832)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The UK must be one of the only places that has a fixed cut-off date for what constitutes an historic car, which is surely a bit hard to justify from a logical point of view, when the cars are now up to 35 years old.

In Australia it varies between states as 25 or 30 years old (rolling) but we don't have tax exemption, just concessional registration/permit that is cheaper than for a modern car.