Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 9 Jun 2006, 01:44 (Ref:1630322)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's as old as me.

John Turner seemed concerned that this sub-forum might die off due to lack of interest, so I'll try and start an interesting new thread every other day.

Instead of the usual, "what's your favourite classic car", I thought I'd try something a little different.

What's your favourite car from the year that you were born? Of course, I'm assuming that all of us are old enough to ensure that the cars from our birth year our now classic.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1630323)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll get things started.

I was born in 1969 in Australia, when the Muscle Car era was in full swing.

I'll have to give an honourable mention to the Chevy V8 powered Holden HT Monaro GTS350, victor of the 1969 Bathurst 500 enduro. But, the winner for me is the car that famously lost that race due to excessive tyre wear, the Ford XW Falcon GT-HO.

351 ci Windor V8 power in a large 4-door sedan with 4 speed top loader gearbox, 9" diff and disc brakes on the front. Sold in bright colours with garish racing stripes and extensive black-outs, they were almost as loud as their exhausts.

Only a couple of hundred were built and they were sold from Ford dealers for around $5K. If you can find one nowadays, you're looking at a 6 figure sum to make it yours.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1630488)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I suppose mine would be the XK140 or a Ford Fairlane...1956
Old 9 Jun 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1630782)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
David, a nice idea!

I was born in 1949 and I'm going to cheat slightly because my choice was not actually announced until April 1950, but there were a prototypes around before the turn of the year and one, with a 2.6 litre Bentley engineered Lagonda engine was at the 1949 Le Mans. I give you the Aston Martin DB2.
Old 9 Jun 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1630830)   #5
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1967 - Aston Martin DB6, naturally.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 10:29 (Ref:1814761)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well this one could have done better or is everyone afraid to give their date of birth away?
Old 2 Feb 2007, 10:32 (Ref:1831704)   #7
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford XY Falcon GTHO... the mighty Phase III. I only just snuck into 1971, being a NYE baby... had I waited the extra day, the results may have been tragic - 1972 being the year of the stillborn XA Falcon GTHO Phase IV and all...
Old 2 Feb 2007, 15:38 (Ref:1831967)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
1971 . . .last of the 1600E's my Dad had one and a beach buggy, although the latter wasn't very practical with a wife and baby boy ! scimitaer Se5 was prety good ( and I've inherited it)

all our vehicles are older than us except the van ( 2 x '63 cortinas and a '67 Midget, two 1960 lambrettas )
Old 2 Feb 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1832021)   #9
chaparral_2f
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester
chaparral_2f should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1984 - Audi 'Ur' Quattro
Old 16 Mar 2007, 18:41 (Ref:1868456)   #10
Raspberry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Raspberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something like this for me maybe (1954)...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/1...des-300-sl.jpg
Old 17 Mar 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1869122)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a good year to be born in

Ciao Marco
Old 17 Mar 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1869383)   #12
Raspberry
Rookie

United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Raspberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah...if only my parents had given me one of those as a christening present...
Old 18 Mar 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1870422)   #13
daj
Racer

daj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1976 !! TVR 3000M
Old 11 Apr 2007, 16:33 (Ref:1889113)   #14
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, my own classic is a 1967 Bond Equipe GT4s 1300, which is therefore a year older than me. I think they'd stopped making them by 1968 and had moved on to the Morris Marina lookalike that, sadly, most people associate with the Equipe name. There's a mini pic of mine in my avatar*

Of cars being made in 1968, I'd go for the Ford GT40 - in Gulf racing colours, natch. Phreeow.

* oops! my car appears to have been obscured by a rogue rhinoceros
Old 12 Apr 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1889585)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I like the early Bond Equipe (Triumph Spitfire engine?) like the one you own, Mathias, but I always thought that the subsequent model with the lovely smooth Triumph 6 cylinder 2 litre unit as a natural, logical progression. Must admit that I have never thought of it as a 'Morris Marina lookalike' - I'll never be able to look at it the same way now!