Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 23 Mar 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3810185)   #826
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I got used to them pretty quickly.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3810206)   #827
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
My HANs is pretty old, it's carbon fibre but it must be ten years since I bought it.
Same for me. First homologation number for the early types shows 8858-2010. New ones seem lighter and more efficient too (side and front). Its sometimes hard to buy something from the fantastic DT catalogue but can't explain why.
Old 23 Mar 2018, 22:08 (Ref:3810250)   #828
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I'll post the following in "Drivers" Forum, but in case some competitors don't get over there, I've had a missive from TRS regarding harnesses for 2018 that may be relevant:

FIA have introduced a NEW standard for harnesses, 8853:2016. For FIA regulated motorsport, NEW harnesses purchased from January 2018 must be to the 8853:2016 standard. They will also be identified with a Gold coloured FIA hologram label.
Yeah, thanks for posting Max - not your fault of course, but isn't March a bit late for news of this sort of reg change to be leaked out? What is up with the sport's regulators these days?
Old 23 Mar 2018, 22:14 (Ref:3810252)   #829
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too busy appointing liaison officers for this, that and the other and pushing the latest in data protection issues than informing actual competitors of new regulations. Don't forget we are the 'cash cows' here.
Old 24 Mar 2018, 15:09 (Ref:3810416)   #830
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Looking after a novice racer at a cold, wet and soggy Silverstone; cheered up by discovering we're sharing a garage with Al Weyman who seems in good spirits :-)
Happy days
Old 24 Mar 2018, 21:47 (Ref:3810502)   #831
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there tomorrow - CTC & BARC seem to have decent grids for the majority of the races except the Clio Juniors.

Trip to Brands Hatch today - total of 5 hours on the road for a 3 hour round trip thanks to a morning accident closing 2 lanes on the Dartford Bridge and goodness knows what closing one of the tunnels this afternoon.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 00:29 (Ref:3810535)   #832
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Been monitoring both Brands and Silverstone today courtesy of TSL - Brands because a couple of mates are racing tomorrow in BMW Compact Cup and were practicing late today, and Silverstone to keep an eye on Al, and various Alfas spread around the pre-66, pre-83, and pre-03 races

Glad to have the season starting again!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 18:02 (Ref:3810684)   #833
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There were lots of Mods (as in parka wearers) on appropriate machinery in the Norwich area today. Most looked like they were Mods in the original period as well. No idea what was going on.....
Old 25 Mar 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3810688)   #834
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
There were lots of Mods (as in parka wearers) on appropriate machinery in the Norwich area today. Most looked like they were Mods in the original period as well. No idea what was going on.....
A couple of period-looking Lambrettas zapped round a roundabout in front of me in Tenerife yesterday......fair took me back Although wearing a parka out here might be a little OTT......

Oh and well done to Al Weyman for a storming race in Bumble today - unlike yesterday when it was damp he could obviously get the power down, and passed two cars on the last lap for a 6th place!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3810714)   #835
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An auction I was watching has just seen a first edition Harry Potter book sell for £22K + fees!!!! Really??? Nothing exceptional about it, in fact it was quite tatty. Perhaps that adds to the value. The world's gone bleedin' mad.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3810748)   #836
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
An auction I was watching has just seen a first edition Harry Potter book sell for £22K + fees!!!! Really??? Nothing exceptional about it, in fact it was quite tatty. Perhaps that adds to the value. The world's gone bleedin' mad.

Difficult to argue with that.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3810837)   #837
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
I've got a box full of Harry Potter books to dispose of - perhaps I had better check what edition they are. They are certainly not tatty...
Old 26 Mar 2018, 08:46 (Ref:3810840)   #838
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking of strange prices, wandering around the private sales area at Techno Classica Essen, I discovered a Renault 4 for a mere 14,900 euros! For 1,000 euros less, one could buy a Rolls Royce!

One of the dealers had a tiny little Goggomobil van with 110,000 euros on it.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3810860)   #839
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The world certainly has gone mad. This month's Classic Car has an ad for a 1964 970cc Mini Cooper 'S' for a fiver under £85,000. In pristine condition sure, but £85 grand?
Old 26 Mar 2018, 19:34 (Ref:3811067)   #840
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
The world certainly has gone mad. This month's Classic Car has an ad for a 1964 970cc Mini Cooper 'S' for a fiver under £85,000. In pristine condition sure, but £85 grand?
Agreed, I remember when I worked in an Austin/Morris garage in the early 60s a brand new Std Mini was around 500 quid. I can't remember how much the S variants were in the day but I can remember the owner on the garage's son had a new 1275 one to impress his friends.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Mar 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3811081)   #841
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Did anyone watch the Beeb RAF documentary that was on last night? Just caught up with it and it’s a gem- and very moving.... My favourite bit (but it’s all good) was listening to the two ladies of the Air Transport Auxiliary. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Coincidentally when out cycling this afternoon a Triplane flew over, probably a Fokker replica, sounding suitably agricultural, and I also passed a group of people gathered on the site of a WW2 airfield (now farmland again), singing. Not sure what that was about....
Old 26 Mar 2018, 22:10 (Ref:3811095)   #842
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Missed it Mike, but intending to catch it on i-player when back in Uk next week.....thanks for reminder.....
Old 27 Mar 2018, 10:13 (Ref:3811194)   #843
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
a similar-sounding 970S went for £41k at auction over the weekend.
More reasonably a later 60s 1275 Mini competition car with lots of the right bits and ripe for recommissioning (but not a total rot-box resto) went for £6100 on ebay the other day.
Old 28 Mar 2018, 06:35 (Ref:3811416)   #844
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I think a 970S will always be worth more as it was made in much smaller numbers and was a homologation special. But agree about that price- I’d be well pushed to justify spending £85k on one! Makes an RS1600 cheap....
Old 28 Mar 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3811465)   #845
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Here’s a bit of good news for John Elwin...... Geely, owners of Lotus, have appointed Peter Horbury in overall charge of Design at Hethel. He is of course well known for his work at Volvo!
Old 28 Mar 2018, 12:58 (Ref:3811502)   #846
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Did anyone watch the Beeb RAF documentary that was on last night? Just caught up with it and it’s a gem- and very moving.... My favourite bit (but it’s all good) was listening to the two ladies of the Air Transport Auxiliary. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Coincidentally when out cycling this afternoon a Triplane flew over, probably a Fokker replica, sounding suitably agricultural, and I also passed a group of people gathered on the site of a WW2 airfield (now farmland again), singing. Not sure what that was about....
Must admit, I didn't think much to it. Some good bits, the aforementioned ATA Ladies, the Spitfire pilot talking about ghosts in the cockpit and the interviews with Dave Morgan and the Vulcan crew but generally I thought it was too trite and too much about McGregor. The build and flight in the Eurofighter took up nearly 1/3 of the programme.

Nothing really about the ground crew and engineering, nothing about AT, AEW or Nimrod, nothing about SAR, nothing about UAVs etc. Of course 90 mins isn't long to do a single programme about the history of the RAF - should have been a series - but take McGregor's gushing out of it and they could have fitted all that in. Sorry! I must be getting grumpier in my old age!
Old 28 Mar 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3811504)   #847
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a completely different note.

If anyone is thinking of using the M1 on the weekend of 11 May through Junction 23a and J24 (Donington Park, East Midlands Airport, A50 to Stoke), don't. The motorway is to be shut ALL WEEKEND for the installation of a new bridge from 20:00 on Friday 11 May to about 1500 on Sunday 13 May.

I think there is an endurance bike meeting on at Donington that weekend.

There is supposed to be a diversion along the parallel A453, however, I can foresee chaos.
Old 28 Mar 2018, 13:31 (Ref:3811508)   #848
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Must admit, I didn't think much to it. Some good bits, the aforementioned ATA Ladies, the Spitfire pilot talking about ghosts in the cockpit and the interviews with Dave Morgan and the Vulcan crew but generally I thought it was too trite and too much about McGregor. The build and flight in the Eurofighter took up nearly 1/3 of the programme.

Nothing really about the ground crew and engineering, nothing about AT, AEW or Nimrod, nothing about SAR, nothing about UAVs etc. Of course 90 mins isn't long to do a single programme about the history of the RAF - should have been a series - but take McGregor's gushing out of it and they could have fitted all that in. Sorry! I must be getting grumpier in my old age!
And not a mention of LAC Bull.
Old 28 Mar 2018, 13:34 (Ref:3811510)   #849
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ACE CAFE CELEBRATES ITS
80th BIRTHDAY AT THE SILVERSTONE CLASSIC
Old 28 Mar 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3811511)   #850
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

On the upside, it was good to see the Photographic Interpreters get a mention as I used to do that!