Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Sep 2016, 21:12 (Ref:3670352)   #1151
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As long as MSR has been in the game I expect them to be better at it I guess. I really Want them to do well, and they seem to have all the pieces in place ....
Old 5 Sep 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3670354)   #1152
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's the drivers that really kill it off for them. And not only Pew...

But even with them onboard, I think the team would be a force with Oak backing things up, I mean at LM debut they would have been pretty damn high in order if it weren't for the bizarre engine rules
Old 7 Sep 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3670746)   #1153
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Regarding ESM in IMSA: There is talk of allowing DPi engines without bodywork in 2017 ONLY as part of the grandfathering aspect of 2017. This would allow HPD to race one last season without having to rely on equipment deliberately bopped to uncompetitive levels while they evaluate 2018.
This is your first bit of "inside information" in a long time I find credible so thanks for sharing.

I also believe this stuff is more than a rumor - might we be better off continuing discussing this development in the dedicated DPi thread? You're welcome!

I can see both Shank and VF.com benefiting from this break as well.

Quote:
More likely, though, if ESM goes back to IMSA it'll be a grandfathered JSP2 with the engine HPD plans to use in the DPi and they'll make 2017 a public engine development run. They'd have no chance of running up front due to IMSA's BoP plan for older P2s, but there could be valuable engine data for 2018 to be gathered from such a program were it done right.
Yet, it's a public secret ESM has ordered 2 new Ligiers, wouldn't it make sense to use those cars for their 2017 campaign? I guess another WEC + NAEC program isn't off the table either. Also, I would expect HPD to use their current 3.5L engine as being used this year, no need to develop a new engine for DPi.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 13:28 (Ref:3670747)   #1154
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There's the NSX GT3 engine, which is very different from the current sedan-based stock block engine that caused HPD so much trouble when they saw Nissan skip in with a detuned VK45 Super GT GT500 engine.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 14:43 (Ref:3670763)   #1155
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
This is your first bit of "inside information" in a long time I find credible so thanks for sharing.

I also believe this stuff is more than a rumor - might we be better off continuing discussing this development in the dedicated DPi thread? You're welcome!

I can see both Shank and VF.com benefiting from this break as well.

Yet, it's a public secret ESM has ordered 2 new Ligiers, wouldn't it make sense to use those cars for their 2017 campaign? I guess another WEC + NAEC program isn't off the table either. Also, I would expect HPD to use their current 3.5L engine as being used this year, no need to develop a new engine for DPi.
Current HPD HR35tt can't make 600hp and last 24 or 12 hour race.Also next year the engine isn't cost cap so they can use the more expensive NSX engine(street legal race engine design) cast by Cosworth.
Old 7 Sep 2016, 15:03 (Ref:3670767)   #1156
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
Current HPD HR35tt can't make 600hp and last 24 or 12 hour race.Also next year the engine isn't cost cap so they can use the more expensive NSX engine(street legal race engine design) cast by Cosworth.
ESM... cough, cough...
Old 8 Sep 2016, 00:31 (Ref:3670861)   #1157
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
ESM... cough, cough...
Are you suggesting they used this motor to win Daytona and Sebring this year?
Old 9 Sep 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3671240)   #1158
Coach Ep
Veteran

in case anyone is interested:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...ement-in-2017/
Old 9 Sep 2016, 15:58 (Ref:3671268)   #1159
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, let's hope that either Honda or Nissan would come along the ride. Then again, I wish IMSA would tell ACO to race their cars in Le Mans in the LMP1-L class after being snubbed!
Old 9 Sep 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3671271)   #1160
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Just confirmation of Racer's piece from last month.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/13323...a-s-dpi-future

Though it is nice to see it confirmed.

L.P.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3671286)   #1161
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Marketing fluff. It's no more likely than it was a month ago.
Old 9 Sep 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3671293)   #1162
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Marketing fluff. It's no more likely than it was a month ago.

Wonderful optimism FF

I think we will see a decent enough grid in 17, with maybe a few more in 18.

I think most would be happy with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 Sep 2016, 00:48 (Ref:3671344)   #1163
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Wonderful optimism FF

I think we will see a decent enough grid in 17, with maybe a few more in 18.

I think most would be happy with that
I don't disagree, but it's going to be mostly ACO-spec P2s. There simply hasn't been anywhere near as much interest in DPi as IMSA wants you to believe.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 01:03 (Ref:3671346)   #1164
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another confirming for the P class next year.... PR1/Mathiasen moving up in a soon to be determined P-2, for now.....

Link

L.P.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 02:18 (Ref:3671352)   #1165
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I don't disagree, but it's going to be mostly ACO-spec P2s. There simply hasn't been anywhere near as much interest in DPi as IMSA wants you to believe.
Agree on that. I don't believe any new manufacturer cars will run dpi next year. And I only see one maybe two more in 2018. They don't want to make body kits that have no benefit imo. I think that's what's holding up a few more entries,or at least engine makes.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 02:30 (Ref:3671353)   #1166
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For once I agree with FormulaFox and the LMP2s will out number the DPis but I think IMSA knows that's coming and cooler heads have prevailed knowing 17 is going to be a test year and bide their time with Mazda and Caddy while wooing Honda, Panoz, etc to join the fun. Commissioning their own P2 to hang the homologated bodywork on the same chassis at Windshear to me shows they are at least trying to be better than they've been accused of being. Course they're showing their usual pattern with waiting to the last minute with their rulebook and then wondering why no one is ready.

Bodywork is tied to engine but not limited to one chassis so you could have a Caddy/Riley and a Caddy/Oreca in the future and in theory? And no, I don't expect that kind of variety but it's easier for anyone coming in to pick up a team if they don't need a new chassis.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 02:34 (Ref:3671354)   #1167
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Another confirming for the P class next year.... PR1/Mathiasen moving up in a soon to be determined P-2, for now.....

Link

L.P.
Interesting that the team's motivation for moving to the P2 was to be ready when a manufacturer comes calling with a DPi program. In combination with the potential to sell a Le Mans ride. I think those are both perfectly sensible reasons, but just surprised they admitted it openly.

Also funny how this is the 3rd "confirmed" P2 program, but the article says it's the first to fully confirm. Even though there is the same level of commitment as the first 2.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 03:26 (Ref:3671359)   #1168
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
For once I agree with FormulaFox and the LMP2s will out number the DPis but I think IMSA knows that's coming and cooler heads have prevailed knowing 17 is going to be a test year and bide their time with Mazda and Caddy while wooing Honda, Panoz, etc to join the fun. Commissioning their own P2 to hang the homologated bodywork on the same chassis at Windshear to me shows they are at least trying to be better than they've been accused of being. Course they're showing their usual pattern with waiting to the last minute with their rulebook and then wondering why no one is ready.

Bodywork is tied to engine but not limited to one chassis so you could have a Caddy/Riley and a Caddy/Oreca in the future and in theory? And no, I don't expect that kind of variety but it's easier for anyone coming in to pick up a team if they don't need a new chassis.
Assuming it hasn't changed, the manus can only work with one chassis.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 03:29 (Ref:3671360)   #1169
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That is incorrect! You will only see a Caddy/Dallara, the OEMs (Mazda, Caddy etc...) can only be tied to a single Constructor. The Constructor can be paired with as many OEMs as they want, so you could see a Caddy/Dallara, Bentley/Dallara, Audi/Dallara etc....

L.P.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 03:32 (Ref:3671361)   #1170
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Interesting that the team's motivation for moving to the P2 was to be ready when a manufacturer comes calling with a DPi program. In combination with the potential to sell a Le Mans ride. I think those are both perfectly sensible reasons, but just surprised they admitted it openly.

Also funny how this is the 3rd "confirmed" P2 program, but the article says it's the first to fully confirm. Even though there is the same level of commitment as the first 2.
Yeah, you know how them rich guys are, they want to be the ones who say what they are doing. Not being told by some media type.

L.P.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 03:34 (Ref:3671362)   #1171
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Remember when people said nobody would switch to the higher prototype class if they got rid of the lowest common denominator prototype class?
Old 10 Sep 2016, 09:23 (Ref:3671387)   #1172
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice to see a couple PC teams likely to step up.

Here's the list so far, obviously Shank is pretty unlikely...

- Speedsource - Mazda Riley Multimatic DPi

- Speedsource - Mazda Riley Multimatic DPi

- Spirit of Daytona / Visit Florida Racing - Mazda Riley Multimatic DPi

- Action Express - Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Action Express - Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Wayne Taylor Racing - Cadillac Dallara DPi

- Ben Keating - Riley Multimatic LMP2

- Starworks Motorsport - Riley Multimatic LMP2

- PR1/Mathiasen Motorsport - TBC LMP2

- Tequila Patron ESM - Ligier JS17 LMP2 Honda ( possible)

- Tequila Patron ESM - Ligier JS17 LMP2 Honda ( possible)

- Panoz Racing - Panoz Riley Multimatic/Dallara DPi (unlikely)

- Michael Shank Racing - Ligier JS P2 Honda (unlikely)

- Former Dragonspeed Oreca 05 for sale to be upgraded to 07

Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:24 (Ref:3671391)   #1173
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
- Spirit of Daytona / Visit Florida Racing - Mazda Riley Multimatic DPi
Source on that one? I've heard the Multimatic connection for that one repeatedly, but never that it would be a Mazda.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3671392)   #1174
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Remember when people said nobody would switch to the higher prototype class if they got rid of the lowest common denominator prototype class?
Won't speak for others, but I for one certainly never said "no" teams - not while being straight serious, at least(the occasional hyperbolic statement aimed at making a point more than being 100% accurate may have included such a statement, of course). I was more bothered by the ramifications for teams who didn't want to/could not afford the increased cost of running a P car or a GTD car.

But let's be honest, two PC teams moving up to P, and frankly neither of them reliably confirmed(Starworks has been waffling between confirmed and possible since March, and I can't bring myself to consider a team that hasn't settled on a chassis to be anything close to a guarantee) is far from the mass migration to P that numerous others predicted.

Granted, PC's still around for one more year, so there isn't an IMMEDIATE impetus for the jump to P, but I strongly doubt you'll see many more.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3671393)   #1175
Bcarr6
Veteran

Quote:
Source on that one? I've heard the Multimatic connection for that one repeatedly, but never that it would be a Mazda.

No source, just what I've read. Meant to put (possible) next to that one!

Apparently the Riley Multimatic bit of it is decided, but whether it takes a Gibson engine or a Mazda is still under discussion