Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Sep 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3671528)   #1176
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
No source, just what I've read. Meant to put (possible) next to that one!

Apparently the Riley Multimatic bit of it is decided, but whether it takes a Gibson engine or a Mazda is still under discussion
From everything I've heard, Mazda's only linked with Speedsource. I've never seen any mention of Mazda being linked to the SoD team.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 19:36 (Ref:3671549)   #1177
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
From everything I've heard, Mazda's only linked with Speedsource. I've never seen any mention of Mazda being linked to the SoD team.
there were multiple articles mentioning the prospect.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/vi...-dpi-decision/
Old 10 Sep 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3671551)   #1178
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

As Joeb says, but it's never been anything more than an evaluation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10 Sep 2016, 23:51 (Ref:3671616)   #1180
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Huh. Don't know how I missed those details, but it seems I did. None of my connections made mention of it - I guess they're not expecting anything to happen with regard to Mazda.
Old 11 Sep 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3671690)   #1181
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mazda has only been linked with Speedsource because they were the only group running capable of developing the RX-8, and the Renesis, and were subsequently tasked with the Mazda LMP.

They sold other RX-8's and took care of the engine work, chassis was still Riley built, Mazda, just like GM, or whoever will want to sell their product, or, at least branding to other teams.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 12 Sep 2016, 17:25 (Ref:3671922)   #1182
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
More details, mainly BoP related, are (slowly) coming out:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...dpi-machinery/

I didn't find this quote sounding overly comfortable:

Quote:
Raffauf said the plan will be to accept each FIA/ACO-spec LMP2 car, as homologated by each of the four approved constructors, without any major modifications, except for possible “initial variables” that have yet to be detailed.
Sound rather vague to me.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 17:27 (Ref:3671923)   #1183
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "glass half full" part of me sees the standard Gibson V8 engine as a backbone to the class as being a great thing in the long run. Think of it as the chevy small block to the early 80s IMSA GTP class. While the manufacturers get geared up to put out their proper cars with their individual bodywork, the majority of the privateers can pick up what should be a reliable and basic package and have a chance to take some overall wins while the OEM programs, inevitably, come up against some kind of learning curve.

Truth be told, if I was a well funded driver or a team looking for overall victories, this might be the best year to score some upsets.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3671981)   #1184
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
The "glass half full" part of me sees the standard Gibson V8 engine as a backbone to the class as being a great thing in the long run. Think of it as the chevy small block to the early 80s IMSA GTP class. While the manufacturers get geared up to put out their proper cars with their individual bodywork, the majority of the privateers can pick up what should be a reliable and basic package and have a chance to take some overall wins while the OEM programs, inevitably, come up against some kind of learning curve.

Truth be told, if I was a well funded driver or a team looking for overall victories, this might be the best year to score some upsets.
The cynic in me says that a well-established team needs to run a serious program with the ACO P2 in order to make sure that funny business doesn't start with IMSA P2s and the ACO P2s, BoP wise.

Starworks is just a ride-buy program now, and PR1 is too new. I don't know who that serious team could be though.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3671983)   #1185
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Initial variables" sounds an awful lot like "handicaps for foreigners to keep our favorite teams on top." Of course, that would Never happen in an IMSA series.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 23:35 (Ref:3671984)   #1186
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
"Initial variables" sounds an awful lot like "handicaps for foreigners to keep our favorite teams on top." Of course, that would Never happen in an IMSA series.
Exactly my thoughts. They have a way to handicap a team if need be. And who knows if it's for a legitimate reason.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 02:24 (Ref:3672014)   #1187
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Plus, teams using the Gibson have the ability to cross the Ocean if they want, to really be part of the race, or just to learn about the cars before the European campain (as Jaguar used to do in the Group-C/GTp era)
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3672094)   #1188
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I should post this one as DPi will have generic bodywork and reduced speed in Daytona 24 Hours:

Raffauf: 2017 Prototype Speeds Could Be Capped at Daytona (via Sportscar 365)
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3672102)   #1189
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
Plus, teams using the Gibson have the ability to cross the Ocean if they want, to really be part of the race, or just to learn about the cars before the European campain (as Jaguar used to do in the Group-C/GTp era)
It seems like a very flexible package.

I know a lot of the doom and gloomers will say that IMSA will make sure that the Gibson is not competitive with the DPIs, but it's honestly in IMSA's best interest to keep those cars in the hunt performance wise. It'll keep everyone on their toes, and keep the ride buyers and pro-am teams chasing results.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3672134)   #1190
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I know a lot of the doom and gloomers will say that IMSA will make sure that the Gibson is not competitive with the DPIs, but it's honestly in IMSA's best interest to keep those cars in the hunt performance wise. It'll keep everyone on their toes, and keep the ride buyers and pro-am teams chasing results.
They will be competitive. As you suggest, it is in IMSA's best interest for the entire field to be, for all entrants no matter if they are full time entrants or not.

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3672157)   #1191
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
.... it's honestly in IMSA's best interest to keep those cars in the hunt performance wise. It'll keep everyone on their toes, and keep the ride buyers and pro-am teams chasing results.
Excepting of course, any sort of reasoning based on past performance ... IMSA's and before that Grand Am's past performance ...

What seems like an obvious "best interest" to many of us ...

Let us recall, we are watching the combined management teams of two sports car series which somehow managed to find it in their own "best interests" to end up bankrupt.

Seriously ... for two years it suited their "best interests" to keep the DP teams winning, because there were more of them. Then suddenly BoP shifts and it is in the series' "best interest" to let a P2 win some ... seeing as DPs are toast anyway ...

I believe IMSA did indeed serve its own "best interests." They were pretty sure old ALMS fans would stick around even though the DPs won everything, and pretty sure the DP teams would stick around And the old ALMS fans would be all pleased and also stick around if they let a P2 win a few ....

But at no point was fair racing really a consideration, as far as I can see. Whatever pleased the stakeholders came first, and then whatever pleased the fans ... and straight-up, best-team-wins racing seems never to have been a consideration (The crappy "We trust you" self-testing for BoP is one clear indicator here. If the series wanted fair BoP, they'd test the cars themselves with their own drivers.)

Not saying I won't attend every race I can afford to, and not saying I won't watch the rest on TV ... but I am not going to expect IMSA to start seeking a level playing field when I can see no evidence that they ever have before.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3672158)   #1192
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I know a lot of the doom and gloomers will say that IMSA will make sure that the Gibson is not competitive with the DPIs,

Very Nostradamus like!

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 18:04 (Ref:3672181)   #1193
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I think I should post this one as DPi will have generic bodywork and reduced speed in Daytona 24 Hours:

Will the Conti tires hold up?
Old 13 Sep 2016, 18:18 (Ref:3672186)   #1194
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Will the Conti tires hold up?
They're new.... already been testing them.

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 18:20 (Ref:3672187)   #1195
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post

I see no mention of generic bodywork for DPis at Daytona in that article.

The only mention of bodywork I see there is the note that the cars will use standard bodywork instead of unique low-drag bodywork as they currently do.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 18:23 (Ref:3672189)   #1196
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I see no mention of generic bodywork for DPis at Daytona in that article.

The only mention of bodywork I see there is the note that the cars will use standard bodywork instead of unique low-drag bodywork as they currently do.
That's the way I read it too, just the single aero kit for the year per car, DPi or LMP2.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 20:23 (Ref:3672207)   #1197
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Very Nostradamus like!

L.P.
Natestrodamus?

As far as the DP/LMP2 during the merger, I do agree that early on performance was very much in favor of the DPs. That said, now that some general level of parity has been reached I think it comes down to teams. At the end of the day the current top-running DP teams are better teams than the P2 entrants. Whether it's luck, budget, talent or some combination of the three, if a better team had been running a P2 full season I bet they could easily be in the championship hunt.

As an example, if ESM had been able to convert their early momentum and ran a full season they would most definitely be fighting with Action Express. They've done reasonably well in the WEC and that is arguably a deeper pool in some respects.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:46 (Ref:3672913)   #1198
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ESM is looking at Nissan engines in a pair of Ligiers for next year. Not sure if this includes Nissan bodywork or just the engine.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...programme.html
Old 16 Sep 2016, 23:48 (Ref:3672915)   #1199
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm deeply confused by this, I thought "DPi" required custom bodywork...
Old 17 Sep 2016, 00:43 (Ref:3672924)   #1200
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm thinking IMSA has hired a brain to share and are willing to allow an engine with bodywork to come. And they have mentioned a few companies are working toward introduction at a later date. I know we all dismissed it but maybe there's something there with Nissan and not as much coming from HPD. But with the NSX coming in 2017 any HPD kit could be delayed and ESM needs something sooner than 'in the future.'