Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Nov 2016, 14:41 (Ref:3686520)   #1351
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post
It's the chassis BoP that bothers me. Balancing the engines would seem to be hard enough, throw the chassis in to the mix and you have a gazillion variables. It could so easily become the same BoP mess that the GT classes are.
Agreed, IMSA has already announced they will be micro-managing the whole process (and series for that matter). Opening up things is very contrary to that philosophy and won't happen therefor.

Q: the Nissan Dpi project with ESM/Patron+Ligier keeps getting referred to as 'customer project', how does that work? I'm guessing Nissan is paying the required mnf. fee and ESM/Patron pays for the styled bodywork designed by Ligier. Is Nissan supplying the engines or are Sharp & Co. paying for those as well?

I can see others doing something similar in the nearby future (Keating with AMG for example).
Old 8 Nov 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3686539)   #1352
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Agreed, IMSA has already announced they will be micro-managing the whole process (and series for that matter). Opening up things is very contrary to that philosophy and won't happen therefor.

Q: the Nissan Dpi project with ESM/Patron+Ligier keeps getting referred to as 'customer project', how does that work? I'm guessing Nissan is paying the required mnf. fee and ESM/Patron pays for the styled bodywork designed by Ligier. Is Nissan supplying the engines or are Sharp & Co. paying for those as well?

I can see others doing something similar in the nearby future (Keating with AMG for example).
ESM might not have to pay the 'bribe' because Patron sponsors IMSA races.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3686579)   #1353
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Nissan said they were providing engines and engine support only, and I'm guessing giving their blessing to a "Nissan" bodykit and it sounds like ESM is paying that portion and probably the fee as well. The rules don't say it has to reflect a street car, just modified from the standard P2 bodykit so think some Ligier tweaking and now you have an ESM Ligier/Nissan DPi.

Plus side is one fee is required only, not one per class so if someone wanted to get a GTR GT3 the fee is paid and it could be a GTD car, I think. The Nissan guy had mentioned that in passing in the S365 article I believe, something along the lines of we will support any team and Nissan product that comes to the track the best we can (or that team can afford).
Old 8 Nov 2016, 19:31 (Ref:3686586)   #1354
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It'll probably have some unique headlights and a little Nissan grille or badge on the front. That's their 'manufacturer bodywork' And if it's only that, I think IMSA looks a little foolish.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 19:34 (Ref:3686587)   #1355
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Plus side is one fee is required only, not one per class so if someone wanted to get a GTR GT3 the fee is paid and it could be a GTD car, I think. The Nissan guy had mentioned that in passing in the S365 article I believe, something along the lines of we will support any team and Nissan product that comes to the track the best we can (or that team can afford).
I recall a dedicated article expressly about Nissan's hope someone will grab a GT-R to run due to this factor, but I can't find it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It'll probably have some unique headlights and a little Nissan grille or badge on the front. That's their 'manufacturer bodywork' And if it's only that, I think IMSA looks a little foolish.
Depends on what GM and Mazda do with theirs. If Nissan's the only one who takes the lazy route, not many will think much of it.
Old 8 Nov 2016, 23:54 (Ref:3686638)   #1356
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I recall a dedicated article expressly about Nissan's hope someone will grab a GT-R to run due to this factor, but I can't find it now.
Marshall Pruett discussed this at length on MWM when it was announced.

Quote:
Depends on what GM and Mazda do with theirs. If Nissan's the only one who takes the lazy route, not many will think much of it.
GM/Mazda have not taken the lazy route.. I've seen both "possible" renders this week... they will be stunning.

Nissan will likely be 'lazy' ... others have spoken with IMSA about potential future entries and have been given the okay to also 'be lazy' so long as it's relatable to the brand.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:16 (Ref:3686642)   #1357
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Marshall Pruett discussed this at length on MWM when it was announced.

GM/Mazda have not taken the lazy route.. I've seen both "possible" renders this week... they will be stunning.

Nissan will likely be 'lazy' ... others have spoken with IMSA about potential future entries and have been given the okay to also 'be lazy' so long as it's relatable to the brand.
Renders in this week? Can you publish the link?
Old 9 Nov 2016, 00:24 (Ref:3686644)   #1358
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Everybody will see it in a couple days(Cadillac and Mazda DPi).

Honda is having their press event(this week) before the LA Show like everybody else because you just do not get enough time at the show.(around only 20 minutes per brand)
Old 9 Nov 2016, 05:11 (Ref:3686672)   #1359
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Renders in this week? Can you publish the link?
There are no links. What I was shown may or may not even be the actual designs. Point being, both Mazda and GM have come up with very pretty cars that nobody will be complaining about.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Nov 2016, 06:47 (Ref:3686678)   #1360
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Point being, both Mazda and GM have come up with very pretty cars that nobody will be complaining about.
Heh....Not in this world. Someone will find something to complain about and you know it.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3686839)   #1361
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Heh....Not in this world. Someone will find something to complain about and you know it.

I agree with you FF, and I think the manu's are helped by the P2 bar cars being rather nice looking in the first place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 Nov 2016, 21:35 (Ref:3686844)   #1362
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
From the IMSA twitter feed:

They "hinted" at it being a DPi. But if that's in any way an accurate representation that looks like a relatively wide cockpit to me...
Old 9 Nov 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3686845)   #1363
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Old 10 Nov 2016, 03:27 (Ref:3686893)   #1364
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

They "hinted" at it being a DPi. But if that's in any way an accurate representation that looks like a relatively wide cockpit to me...
I'm sure that ACO won't allow DPi to compete in Le Mans due to its wide cockpit. Might as well compete in Super GT instead!
Old 10 Nov 2016, 03:49 (Ref:3686896)   #1365
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
I'm sure that ACO won't allow DPi to compete in Le Mans due to its wide cockpit. Might as well compete in Super GT instead!
Building some unique prototype rules around those Class One tubs wouldn't be a bad idea, to be honest.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 04:05 (Ref:3686899)   #1366
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post

Was it the Mercedes?
https://scontent.fsst1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...36&oe=5897931C
Old 10 Nov 2016, 04:17 (Ref:3686901)   #1367
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's probably just a random image they came up with. Too low and wide to be a GT and cockpit not narrow enough for a p2.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 04:29 (Ref:3686902)   #1368
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't tell me that they just ditched LMP2 regulations for Class One? Then again, it won't happen and you're right TF110, it could be a random image.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 05:28 (Ref:3686907)   #1369
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks like a cover thrown over a 'prototype BHF' to me, at least along the right rear line below the wing to the fender. So if it is well bloused across the front from the roof to the fender it would be hard to tell just how wide the cockpit is. Just sayin'.

L.P.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3686937)   #1370
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Eh the full season numbers open up a reasonable debate

IMSA / WEC
13 Manufacturers > 5 Manufacturers
P (11 entries) > P1 (5) - Especially if you throw Penske in that mix
GTLM (9/10) > GTE-Pro (8)
GTD (15ish) > GTE-Am (7ish)

WEC P2 will obviously be light years ahead of PC but I am not sure if that is enough to tip the scale. I would also take the IMSA schedule over the WEC schedule (minus Le Mans) any day of the week.

WEC vs IMSA:
LMP1 5 - 0
LMP2 ~10 - 11
GTE ~15 - 10

Yes WEC is still superior. PC and GT3 is lesser categories and thus neglected in the comparison.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3686963)   #1371
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
All those GTE-Am cars would be GT3 if they were allowed to be.

IMSA is stronger.

The image from IMSA looks to be a manipulated R8.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3687005)   #1372
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
SDR should be announcing in the next few days, so we will find out if it is in a DPi or P2. P2 would seem to fit better as Flis said Visit Florida would like to go to Le Mans and they do bring a good chunk of the budget, so....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...54745743862193
SDR confirm it will be a R/M Mk.30 that they will campaign in '17.

http://www.sdr-motorsports.com/visit...onship-effort/

L.P.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 19:04 (Ref:3687012)   #1373
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
All those GTE-Am cars would be GT3 if they were allowed to be.

IMSA is stronger.

The image from IMSA looks to be a manipulated R8.
Not to mention calling the CLM P1/01 a P1 is a bit of a stretch
Old 10 Nov 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3687016)   #1374
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Not to mention calling the CLM P1/01 a P1 is a bit of a stretch
Well, no more than saying DPi are the same as LMP2, despite them not being the same. And the 5 could also include the possible 3rd Toyota.

I don't see what comparing the series really achieves. One has GT3s, one doesn't. One has DPis, one doesn't. One has P1s, and the other doesn't. One is a world championship, the other isn't. Whilst there is a cross over, saying X is stronger than Y is losing sight of the the fact that everything is looking pretty strong right now.

ELMS had 36 cars at Estoril btw.
Old 10 Nov 2016, 19:52 (Ref:3687020)   #1375
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
SDR confirm it will be a R/M Mk.30 that they will campaign in '17.
You mean R/G, unless your M meant something other than Mazda that went over my head.