Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 17 Apr 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3060971)   #1
Mike Harvey
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Mike Harvey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire Extinguisher Carry Strap

I was thinking of knocking up some sort of carry strap for a fire extinguisher so that it could be carried over your shoulder or on your back like a rucksack.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to have lost there balance jogging to an incidence over uneven ground with a bottle in both hands. If the bottle was on your back you could balance better, see the ground right in front of you easier and probably get down off the bank and to the incident quicker??

My thoughts are that it would have to be quite universal to fit different sizes and styles of extinguisher. To save fitting one to all bottles set out, it would have to be quick and easy to attach so you could run to the closest bottle to the incident with the strap, attach and carry on.

Has anyone already tried this before? Do you think it could work? Do you think it would help or hinder you?
Old 17 Apr 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3061007)   #2
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure how well that would work to be honest. In theory it sounds good, but in practise, if were going to an incident 'at pace' , it might end up banging against the back repeatedly as you walk/jog/run to the incident, plus if you do trip you're going to have the extra weight of the extinguisher on top of you. They aren't the lightest of things to carry

I could be wrong of course, might be great !
Old 17 Apr 2012, 16:44 (Ref:3061032)   #3
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats alot of weight to get onto your back in an incident situation,plus I think all the straps could get in the way of the basic function of the bottle.

Personally I dont think the idea will work very well
Old 17 Apr 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3061038)   #4
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem would be when you fell flat on your face with an extinguisher on your back. I am fairly certain this would end up with broken ribs and possibly a damaged spine.

I agree the extinguishers are awkward and heavy - especially when you are short like me (an extinguisher will drag in the gravel for me - so I have to hold it higher with a bent elbow - which is even more uncomfortable).

I wonder if the way forward is using slightly smaller extinguishers? Maybe 9kg instead of 12kg (have I got the weights right?). These are smaller and much easier to carry I find.

My thinking is that we rarely discharge a whole bottle - and when we do we normally use more than one anyway. So I think in the real world it would make very little difference. Perhaps a post could have a mix of 12kg and 9kg - so you can use the most appropiate at the time?

I suspect costs and resistence to change will be the issues here!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3061080)   #5
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about getting more bottles at more gaps, so you don't have to carry them long distances?

or when a driver does come in to a post, make it clear where you would like him to stop (assuming he has enough control of the vehicle to make that choice)
Old 17 Apr 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3061086)   #6
Rob Williams
Rookie

England
Birmingham
Rob Williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't often reply on TT but on this one, DON'T do it. Fire extinguishers are designed to be carried by the handle and base in front or to the side of you. The extra weight on your back will have you over in no time along any sort of banking and if you had to get over a tyre wall no chance. Then you have to get it off your back to start it up. Bottle's are put out on the bank for a reason next to a "F" mark on the Armco or barrier if its on you back and you have to pass another one to get to the fire, well, I don't think you will get much support for this.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 20:26 (Ref:3061145)   #7
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
how about getting more bottles at more gaps, so you don't have to carry them long distances?

The simplest solutions are usually the best!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3061149)   #8
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeee View Post

The simplest solutions are usually the best!
the simplest solutions come from the simplest people.....errrr, well, you know what I mean!!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3061172)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Curborough provide natty little trolleys, but I have to say I find them more trouble than carrying the bottle so I've never used on in anger.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3061175)   #10
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is, if you trip while running with a bottle, you can just drop it. Bit hard to do if it's on your back. Good idea in principle (I agree, running with a bottle is knackering!) but this isn't the solution I'm afraid.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 07:19 (Ref:3061288)   #11
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As already said, Don't, DON'T do it. Use the extinguisher as per its and your training day training. If you change this and no one is aware and something happens, I am sure questions would be raised, worse case scenario, if you use this starp and delay fire fighting in a real incident because the strap failed in some way resulting in the delay then again I am sure questions would be raised.
I do have one question for you. You mentioned you carried the extinguisher in both hands? If you are doing this across your chest this is extrememly dangersour too, especially if you trip or fall( wait for the flack now)
Extinguishers to be carried by the handle and you get to the incident as safe as you can. If you are having a problem with carrying extinguishers then please chat to your club, chief etc and see what can be done. Remember and I know its contraversal( I know someone will shoot me for this) you do sign on and that says as per the paragraph at the top of the sheet you are signing to say you are fit for that duty you are doing.
incoming...
Old 18 Apr 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3061444)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except that at a previous training day I was told not to carry it by the handle as you could trip up, you should carry it in two hands across your chest. This followed a video where I was shown carrying one by the handle.

I followed this advice at a later meeting, and while heading downhill at Shelsley Walsh discovered that this had changed my centre of gravity and I was unable to stop, promptly falling over the car I was meant to be assisting and disappearing down the bank.

Whatever you do, be careful when carrying a bottle, but I don't advise any sort of tools to assist. There's already the effect when you're running back to post and traverse the tarmac/grass-gravel interface, slowing your feet but not your upper body. I can imagine doing this with a bottle strapped to your back will be interesting. Unless, or course, you fancy a starring role on 'What happened next' sometime in the future!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3061453)   #13
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
I was thinking of knocking up some sort of carry strap for a fire extinguisher so that it could be carried over your shoulder or on your back like a rucksack.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to have lost there balance jogging to an incidence over uneven ground with a bottle in both hands. If the bottle was on your back you could balance better, see the ground right in front of you easier and probably get down off the bank and to the incident quicker??

My thoughts are that it would have to be quite universal to fit different sizes and styles of extinguisher. To save fitting one to all bottles set out, it would have to be quick and easy to attach so you could run to the closest bottle to the incident with the strap, attach and carry on.

Has anyone already tried this before? Do you think it could work? Do you think it would help or hinder you?
Hi Mike and welcome,
My problem with this idea would be the time it would take.
If you were to design a "rucksack" to hold the extinguisher, you would need to fit it into the rucksack and then try and get the rucksack on your back and then reverse the process when you get to the incident. If there is a fire, seconds are very valuable. A good idea, in theory.

Regarding bottles perpost, I heard this weekend, at Snetterton, that the MSA have said there should be only 2 bottles per post, though I cannot confirm this.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:18 (Ref:3061454)   #14
Mike Harvey
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Mike Harvey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your comments guys. It's clear this ideas has flaws and is a non starter. Just to clarify this was just an idea put out there for experienced marshals to comment on. I wouldn't have modified equipment without first seeing what other marshals think of the idea, seriously testing it away from track and finally if it had ever been ready for use for real, got approval of my post chief and informed the team on post.

I would class myself as fit enough to do the job (31 years old and not overweight) I think the reason I do carry the bottles two handed (one on the carry handle, one on the base across the chest) is because I'm quite short (5ft. 4) With a locked arm the bottle isn't far off the floor on even ground, hitting the floor on uneven ground. It's always seemed the natural position, if that is wrong it's never come up.

Last edited by Mike Harvey; 18 Apr 2012 at 12:23.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3061457)   #15
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having spent several years actively scuba diving (as opposed to inactively, which I suppose is why I'm still here... anyway) I can assure you that running with a cylinder of compressed gas on your back isn't easy. I appreciate that dive kit weighs a lot more than a fire extinguisher so the effects are exaggerated, but most divers try to spend as little time and effort as possible fully kitted up out of the water simply because it's so bloody cumbersome to move very far*

Carrying extinguishers by hand, by the handle, keeps the centre of mass low and means you are far less likely to topple or overbalance. It also means that they can be deployed the moment you get near enough to the fire.

*My rig when I finished regularly diving weighed almost 40kg when complete. I could hardly stand up, let alone move very far wearing it!
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3061458)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Richard has said is good advice, I have always been told to carry it by the handle mainly, because this does not alter your center of gravity and so you are less likely to trip. Recently this has also changed to holding it backwards so as to speak (with the hose to the back) so if you are to trip/drop it the extiguisher will fall away from you and not in front.

If you are carrying it across your chest with both hands you are raising your centre of gravity and like Woolley may find that you aren't able to stop and also that you are more likely to fall over.

I know there has been talks of moving to smaller extinguishers, although smaller the firefighting capability isn't greatly reduced and makes it easier to be carried for those who are vertically challenged and the increasing female marshalling fraternity.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3061462)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Regarding bottles per post, I heard this weekend, at Snetterton, that the MSA have said there should be only 2 bottles per post, though I cannot confirm this.
checks diary
date =/= 01/04/20**

WFM stop starting silly rumours.
This is such an absurd idea it should not get any more discu
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:30 (Ref:3061463)   #18
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
checks diary
date =/= 01/04/20**

WFM stop starting silly rumours.
This is such an absurd idea it should not get any more discu
I know what you're saying Al, but with things I've heard recently I'm, almost, prepared to believe anything.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:36 (Ref:3061467)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
It's a few years since I did fire training, so I don't know if this is "officially" approved or not, but the best way I've found of carrying bottles is to hold it by the handle with one hand & support the other end by hooking the fingers of the other hand under the base. The bottle is held stably, but if you do trip or slip the hand supporting the base will tend to lose grip, thus allowing the bottlw to swing away from you.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3061472)   #20
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
I was taught:
  1. This is your extinguisher.
  2. This is your new best friend.
  3. You will take your best friend to any incident you attend.
  4. Even if you have to take your best friend past one of his mates, rule 3 applies.
You have no idea what state any particular bottle is in at any time, it could have lost pressure, could have gained pressure, could be leaking, whatever. At least you can check your best friend during the day. Also means that if you do have to run past an extinguisher you know it's there as a potential backup.

Only exception to this rule is if you are going to cross the track to an incident. Yes, many say "don't cross the track", I will do so if I feel it's necessary, safe and I trust my flag to find me a gap.
Old 18 Apr 2012, 13:02 (Ref:3061478)   #21
nate93
Racer

United Kingdom
Tattershall, Lincolnshire
nate93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid as this may sound - i find carrying a bottle backwards easiest.
It rests in you hand far better and takes hardly any time to spin it round and pull the pin on arrival.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3061959)   #22
Tris1976
Rookie

Wales
Carmarthen, South Wales
Tris1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate93 View Post
Stupid as this may sound - i find carrying a bottle backwards easiest.
It rests in you hand far better and takes hardly any time to spin it round and pull the pin on arrival.
So i is angled TOWARDS the shins - no thanks
Old 19 Apr 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3061986)   #23
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris1976 View Post
So i is angled TOWARDS the shins - no thanks
Actually if you pick the extinguish up by the handle with the hose pointing backwards, the balance tilts he base AWAY from your shins and holds the top closer to the body, this gives you more control and more room for your legs and feet.

No one actually says that you should run with the bottle, it is better to walk quickly and get there than run and fall flat on your face in the dirt.

If it is a long distance work with your team buddy and share the carrying distance.
Old 19 Apr 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3061992)   #24
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's an acronym (one of many millions I suspect) in some fields of computer programming:

TMTOWTDI or "TimToady".

I'm not going to lay out what it stands for exactly, just to point out that whatever works for you is the right thing *as long as* it isn't dangerous or downright stupid.

Personally, being vertically challenged, I will carry an extinguisher generally with my right hand with the handle facing backwards. It works for me, and if it's a long way I have another one on the left that can help
Old 19 Apr 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3062045)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazza View Post
No one actually says that you should run with the bottle, it is better to walk quickly and get there than run and fall flat on your face in the dirt.