Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 28 May 2015, 06:42 (Ref:3541986)   #1
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZTC 2015/2016

Thought a new thread was in order for the upcoming 'new look' v8 touring car series in NZ. I am taking an educated guess that the new series will be called NZ Touring Cars. If this is the case then this name change certainly points to a series that has a vision and will be open to different engines and body shapes sometime in the future.
I am hearing some very positive things with the co-op, mostly that there will be at least 12 STs and 5 TLXs and a gaggle of TLs which could result in a grid approaching 30 cars.
Parity doesn't seem to be a big issue, however there may be minor tweaks to ecu's to settle things somewhat.

Anyway this thread is for any news/gossip/rumours etc for the new series. Bring it on as far as I am concerned!!

Personally, I am looking forward to the beginning of a new series that will hopefully bring fans and sponsors alike back to our tracks from north to south
Old 28 May 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3542292)   #2
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
More may come out to play for V8SC at Puke. Let's hope so.

Are there currently any ST's for sale?
Old 2 Jun 2015, 03:45 (Ref:3544080)   #3
Environmentalist177
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Environmentalist177 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Little update on the situation here.

http://v8superfans.co.nz/update-on-t...015-16-season/

Last edited by Environmentalist177; 2 Jun 2015 at 03:54.
Old 3 Jun 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3544385)   #4
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thanks 177, interesting article.

I don't know if having Brian Budd involved is a good or bad thing! Lets see....

Having Foggy step up to the board should be good too.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3553174)   #5
MarcosAmbroseFan
Racer

New Zealand
Hamilton
MarcosAmbroseFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSNZ just announce the 2015-16 calender
http://www.v8superfans.co.nz/motorsp...alander-in-nz/
Old 22 Jun 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3553192)   #6
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Yes, I got the news today. Sounds like a nice chunky calendar of 9 events, 2 of which are in the South Island. I don't know what the issue is with Levels, but at least they are going to Teretonga. So one can say that finally the top tier is, to some extent, covering the entire country.

Lets hope the new look top tier can bring back some much needed confidence in the sport.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 04:58 (Ref:3553224)   #7
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Yes, I got the news today. Sounds like a nice chunky calendar of 9 events, 2 of which are in the South Island. I don't know what the issue is with Levels, but at least they are going to Teretonga. So one can say that finally the top tier is, to some extent, covering the entire country.

Lets hope the new look top tier can bring back some much needed confidence in the sport.
It seems pretty odd that there are two events at hampton downs and puke, yet Timaru doesn't get an event. The crowd is usually great there, so its a surprise they don't get an event. Also what about Highlands?
Old 23 Jun 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3553245)   #8
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Highlands is not really suited for public events, Tony Quinn has pretty much said so. Who knows why they left Levels out but maybe the drivers only wanted two South Island rounds to keep costs down.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 18:54 (Ref:3553425)   #9
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Highlands is not really suited for public events, Tony Quinn has pretty much said so. Who knows why they left Levels out but maybe the drivers only wanted two South Island rounds to keep costs down.
Hi GB,

I agree with you view on Highlands, at the end of the day Tony built it for himself and other like minded well heeled racer's, thats not to say that Highland can not become an annual Iconic event's circuit but it has to be something special to get the public to along, as its not 'cheap' for the competitors or the public to attend.

On the other hand, Hampton Downs under Tony's ownership will finally become what Chris and Tony dreamed of and a credit to all concerned.

The reason Timaru missed out is that Toyota flat-out refused to race their cars their and therefore the new Premier Circus is once again obliged to support Toyota and trek further South. We, Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing voted not to do either South Island round, as they are back to back and as such to expensive for our 'Mom and Pop' teams.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 21:48 (Ref:3553460)   #10
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Thanks Mark, I agree with your sentiments on Hampton Downs - I hope they start work soon!
Old 23 Jun 2015, 22:36 (Ref:3553468)   #11
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Jones View Post
It seems pretty odd that there are two events at hampton downs and puke, yet Timaru doesn't get an event. The crowd is usually great there, so its a surprise they don't get an event. Also what about Highlands?
When you say great, are you meaning 1-2 Thousand People?
Old 23 Jun 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3553472)   #12
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
We, Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing voted not to do either South Island round, as they are back to back and as such to expensive for our 'Mom and Pop' teams.
I realise as the organiser you have an obligation to the people running the teams, however to me this once again represents the approach motorsport officials in NZ have taken to its fans in recent years. There should be an obligation to run South Island events purely for the fans alone!

Secondly, how can going to the South Island twice on two separate occasions be cheaper than going there once for two weeks?

This is a national racing series and it actually makes me quite mad that the organisers are voting to try and keep it to the north island only, especially as so much work is being done to get things back to grass roots and make a decent spectacle for the fans. Racing on only the same 4 tracks every year is not a spectacle, it is just boring and if the teams can't afford to go to a different track, perhaps they shouldn't be racing.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 23:02 (Ref:3553475)   #13
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I was going to put this up in the CRC thread, but maybe this is the better one.

I have a question that I hope some on here might be able to answer.

I have been waiting, patiently, for the United V8 races (now NZTC - hence why I have put this enquiry in here) to screen on TV3. Every week I diligently go through the planner and see whats on the telly. We have seen the Ssangyong's, and we have seen the UDC Utes. But to date, I can't seem to find the 'United V8 racing' which if I remember correctly, was 'history in the making'.

Does anyone know if and when we are likely to see these races screened on the TV? I tried to bring a few new sponsors along to be on the car I was on, and I am sure they would want to see how well their brands 'popped' on TV. Especially when we were all told that TV was 'definitely going ahead'.

I know SsangYong funded the TV, which explains why their races were screened (and quite rightly so). Did the other categories have to pay for their own TV time?
Old 23 Jun 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3553482)   #14
Bill Brown
Racer

Bill Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LEVELS SHAFTED AGAIN

I see once again that Levels has been dumped from the summer series. So all its hard work supporting the series when others were ducking for cover meant nothing. Why has this happened, mainly because two years ago some kids in TRS did not have the skill or discipline to get through the first corner of the first race without taking each other out and they where not even at race speed, so toyota pulls the pin. I suppose it is easier to blame the circuit than the drivers. Money talks and MSNZ jumps. What happened to sharing the rounds this is the second year Levels has been dropped yet some circuits have more than 1 round. If the summer series is going to be controlled by one manufacturer it's future is not all that rosey. Some of the biggest crowds that the summer series had have been at Levels. The facilities and organisation are on a par with most NZ. So where does Levels go from here?
Old 24 Jun 2015, 00:21 (Ref:3553493)   #15
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Levels is a great circuit and I have always found the officials there welcoming and helpful. The nice green grassy pit area is very pleasant and a real credit to them too.

Interesting that the replacement for Levels last year which was Taupo had virtually zero promotion or spectators, despite spectator entry being free! Also the TRS carnage at that meeting was very high and probably on a par with Levels the year before so there can't have been much benefit from that perspective. I believe Toyota hired the circuit for the meeting which was basically all about TRS and their TV coverage. The only other class there was Formula Ford. The whole thing was a real anti climax!

I'd love to see Levels back on the calendar....
Old 24 Jun 2015, 02:19 (Ref:3553505)   #16
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bill Brown, from what I have been told Motorsport New Zealand had voiced their desires to race at Timaru, but everyone else - not just Toyota - refused to race there because of the safety hazards. Timaru isn't the only circuit that has it's issues, it's just they felt there were too many and not enough was being done to rectify those problems, particularly with 'safety barriers'.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 02:56 (Ref:3553512)   #17
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20b View Post
Bill Brown, from what I have been told Motorsport New Zealand had voiced their desires to race at Timaru, but everyone else - not just Toyota - refused to race there because of the safety hazards. Timaru isn't the only circuit that has it's issues, it's just they felt there were too many and not enough was being done to rectify those problems, particularly with 'safety barriers'.
As always the circuit is compliant and has a current FIA Grade 3 licence:

http://www.motorsport.org.nz/resourc...raceway-levels

As I said it is always easy to blame the circuit rather than lack of driving skill.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 03:35 (Ref:3553516)   #18
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit may be compliant, but that doesn't mean that it's safe in the views of the drivers, teams and organisers.

The North Island circuits typically have two, three or four rows of tyres then an earth embankment on every corner. Timaru however only one or two for the most part.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8OJrsffMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgtec7awEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8OJrsffMY

You can't tell me that's safe?
Old 24 Jun 2015, 04:19 (Ref:3553520)   #19
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brown View Post
I see once again that Levels has been dumped from the summer series. So all its hard work supporting the series when others were ducking for cover meant nothing. Why has this happened, mainly because two years ago some kids in TRS did not have the skill or discipline to get through the first corner of the first race without taking each other out and they where not even at race speed, so toyota pulls the pin. I suppose it is easier to blame the circuit than the drivers. Money talks and MSNZ jumps. What happened to sharing the rounds this is the second year Levels has been dropped yet some circuits have more than 1 round. If the summer series is going to be controlled by one manufacturer it's future is not all that rosey. Some of the biggest crowds that the summer series had have been at Levels. The facilities and organisation are on a par with most NZ. So where does Levels go from here?
Judging by the last couple of Euro F3 rounds it does not matter which circuit they are on, just the Shunts get bigger
Old 24 Jun 2015, 06:53 (Ref:3553530)   #20
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
...if the teams can't afford to go to a different track, perhaps they shouldn't be racing.
I think the organizers are trying to encourage as many teams to compete as possible, not discourage them. An extra round in the South Island could make the difference between racing and not racing for some teams I don't doubt.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 07:03 (Ref:3553531)   #21
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I think the organizers are trying to encourage as many teams to compete as possible, not discourage them. An extra round in the South Island could make the difference between racing and not racing for some teams I don't doubt.
I understand that aspect, certainly, but this isn't club racing. This is national level motorsport and for an organiser to vote AGAINST doing EITHER South Island event is disappointing to hear.

I know a couple of guys who race and have taken their vehicles south and while the costs are significant, there are ways to reduce these when shipping a large numbe of vehicles. Combining the events also helps to save on costs per round.

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks this return should visit the South Island?
Old 24 Jun 2015, 07:48 (Ref:3553538)   #22
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

We, Ssangyong Actyon Sport Racing voted not to do either South Island round, as they are back to back and as such to expensive for our 'Mom and Pop' teams.
Wasn't the whole idea of this new 'Premier Race Series' that not all classes would do all rounds, so why not come South & do just one round? Even if it was the substitute "Premier" race meeting at Levels the week before the Ruapuna & Teretonga rounds.

Especially when the team at Timaru worked overtime & bent over backwards to help out the 2 ute classes in March when the V8ST's puled out of the Timaru round at the last minute

How any class can be part of a National Series/NZ Series & not even come to the South Island is pittiful
Old 24 Jun 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3553555)   #23
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess that it is important to the race fans to see these cars in action on the circuits that are likely to be turned into housing estates, industrial sites or gravel extraction pits while they are still available for once they are gone where are they going to race other that on the circuits that are owned by Tony Quinn, or have a 99 year lease in place with their District Council and are operated by a car club, or are 100% freehold and owned and operated by a car club.

It has to be faced, there is a quite a distinct possibility in the future that there will be only Hampton Downs in the North Island and the South Island circuits will be from Timaru south.

This will not worry the current group of competitors for they will have finished their 5 years n the sunlight and packed up an gone but what are they leaving for the future of the sport. I would suggest s.f.a

As for Timaru being "dangerous" or "unsafe" I would like to remind you that the most dangerous or unsafe thing a person can do is go to bed for over half the deaths in NZ occur whilst a person is in bed.

No circuit in he world can totally prevent stupidity and / or incompetence occurring with race drivers.

Finally, check your history on the numbers who have been killed on our various circuits and check the numbers that have had to leave the various circuit by Ambulance, only then can you confidently state which are the unsafe or safest circuits in NZ.

Cars are repairable, people aren't.
Old 24 Jun 2015, 09:15 (Ref:3553561)   #24
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I guess that it is important to the race fans to see these cars in action on the circuits that are likely to be turned into housing estates, industrial sites or gravel extraction pits while they are still available for once they are gone where are they going to race other that on the circuits that are owned by Tony Quinn, or have a 99 year lease in place with their District Council and are operated by a car club, or are 100% freehold and owned and operated by a car club.

It has to be faced, there is a quite a distinct possibility in the future that there will be only Hampton Downs in the North Island and the South Island circuits will be from Timaru south.

This will not worry the current group of competitors for they will have finished their 5 years n the sunlight and packed up an gone but what are they leaving for the future of the sport. I would suggest s.f.a

As for Timaru being "dangerous" or "unsafe" I would like to remind you that the most dangerous or unsafe thing a person can do is go to bed for over half the deaths in NZ occur whilst a person is in bed.

No circuit in he world can totally prevent stupidity and / or incompetence occurring with race drivers.

Finally, check your history on the numbers who have been killed on our various circuits and check the numbers that have had to leave the various circuit by Ambulance, only then can you confidently state which are the unsafe or safest circuits in NZ.

Cars are repairable, people aren't.
Hi Carl,

I understand your frustration, and s.f.a comments, indeed your crystal ball may well be proven to be correct.

Unfortunately CDM comments are not at all helpful, and ignore the huge cost to Ssangyong NZ to pay for the cost of running in essence a stand alone meeting with out being able to share the TV costs [in excess of $45K]

FTR, we Ssangyong have no issue with racing at Levels, but we are only one voice.

The Elephant in the room is Toyota, they dictate were the Circus goes and the principle dates.

Cheers,

MP
Old 24 Jun 2015, 19:28 (Ref:3553688)   #25
Bill Brown
Racer

Quote:
Hi Carl,

I understand your frustration, and s.f.a comments, indeed your crystal ball may well be proven to be correct.

Unfortunately CDM comments are not at all helpful, and ignore the huge cost to Ssangyong NZ to pay for the cost of running in essence a stand alone meeting with out being able to share the TV costs [in excess of $45K]

FTR, we Ssangyong have no issue with racing at Levels, but we are only one voice.

The Elephant in the room is Toyota, they dictate were the Circus goes and the principle dates.

Cheers,

MP
The Elephant in the room . . .

My point exactly Mark