Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Aug 2003, 15:36 (Ref:686304)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new points system - a bit of fun

So... if we were to apply the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points sytem retrospectively:

Eddie Irvine would be the 1999 WDC (96 points to Hakk's 88)
Michael Schumacher would be the 1997 WDC (97 points to 89)
Damon Hill would be 1994 WDC (104 points to 96)

Discuss...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 15:43 (Ref:686311)   #2
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always meant to check that up, but never bothered!
Thanks cos!
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:20 (Ref:686408)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They would have driven differently due to the points system...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:26 (Ref:686416)   #4
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
They would have driven differently due to the points system...
Thats for sure. Take the 1983 championship as an example. Under the 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 system Piquet would have still beaten Prost to the title. But if some other points system had been in use and Nelson had needed to win or finish 2nd in the Kyalami race to seal the title then he would have done just that.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:26 (Ref:686418)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How many things would be different if we could come back in time...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 17:45 (Ref:686437)   #6
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The new points system - a bit of fun

Quote:
Originally posted by cos
Michael Schumacher would be the 1997 WDC (97 points to 89)
Schummy's points were removed at the end of the season
for that stupid move on JV
Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:06 (Ref:686459)   #7
cos
Veteran

England
But by the final race of the season he would have been champ anyway, so he wouldn't have made the move...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:23 (Ref:686479)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ern... and we enter in the twilight zone
Old 12 Aug 2003, 18:26 (Ref:686482)   #9
cos
Veteran

England
But just think... if the 'alternate' 94 happened, we could be here discussing how Hill blatantly took of MS at Adelaide to secure himself the title...
Old 12 Aug 2003, 19:17 (Ref:686537)   #10
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
omg, a little random knowledge and we instantly have a pro/anti TGF thread
Old 12 Aug 2003, 19:45 (Ref:686556)   #11
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So in all three cases, it would have been the driver who really was only the second best of the season who would have taken the title... let's not hope that happens this year.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 21:12 (Ref:686620)   #12
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
So in all three cases, it would have been the driver who really was only the second best of the season who would have taken the title... let's not hope that happens this year.

Richard Burns in this year's World Rally Championship hasn't won a race this year, but leads the championship by 5 points from Carlos Sainz (1 win) and Marcus Gronholm (3 wins)

Nothing against Richard, he is a good driver, but honestly this sort of championship standing doesn't exactly argue for the current system does it? Why the hell did the FIA use the same system for both anyway? They should have just done it for F1, as F1 has better reliability, at least this year.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 00:07 (Ref:686760)   #13
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I really think we need the system altered to 12-8-6-4-3-2-1 just to favour the winner a little more.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 07:37 (Ref:686873)   #14
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely agree.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:03 (Ref:686889)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it would mean a comeback to the past!
Anyways there is not a objectively better system: I think the most clamourours "distorsion" was in 1988, when Prost lost to Senna despite having more points than the brazilian.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:42 (Ref:686910)   #16
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Yeah, I really think we need the system altered to 12-8-6-4-3-2-1 just to favour the winner a little more.
Absolutey, though I might replace the word 'little' to 'lot'!

Quote:
Originally posted by climb
I think the most clamourours "distorsion" was in 1988, when Prost lost to Senna despite having more points than the brazilian.
But Senna won more races which, as far as I'm concerned, is the most important thing (this would give Prost 5 - or 6 depending on 1982 which I haven't checked yet - titles so I'm not being anti-Prost when I say that).

As far as I can tell, there have been 11 titles won by a driver who did not win the most races, plus another where the champion had the same number of wins, but fewer second places than his rival. The last time was in '89 - the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system, though not perfect, had NOT allowed this to happen. The new system makes it much more likely.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 08:54 (Ref:686917)   #17
cos
Veteran

England
Quote:
there have been 11 titles won by a driver who did not win the most races, plus another where the champion had the same number of wins, but fewer second places than his rival. The last time was in '89 - the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system, though not perfect, had NOT allowed this to happen. The new system makes it much more likely.
Quote:
Richard Burns in this year's World Rally Championship hasn't won a race this year, but leads the championship...
...this sort of championship standing doesn't exactly argue for the current system does it?
Going back to rallying for the sake of comparison, in 2001 Burns won the title on the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system even though McRae, Makinen and Gronholm won at least as many races as he did.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 09:08 (Ref:686925)   #18
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's a good point - with the old system that sort of thing was still possible, as the '01 WRC demonstrated. Personally, I'd have an even bigger gap between 1st and 2nd than 10-6, but I was just trying to demonstrate that the new system is even worse and makes this sort of thing even more likely!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 09:38 (Ref:686950)   #19
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the guy that finishes first should have a bigger advavtage than 2 pts on the guy finishing 2nd.
This year however if you see calculate the results with the old pts(10 6 4 3 2 1) system the gap is not much :
MS:57pts
JPM:51pts
KR:46pts
RS:38pts
Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:07 (Ref:686967)   #20
krt917
Veteran

Yes, this season has been more open for other reasons as well (like tyres). Mind you, I can't help but feel that a driver with four wins (in this case Michael) should have a bit of a bigger gap over two drivers with just two (JPM and RS) and one driver who only has one!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 10:14 (Ref:686968)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't carry this pro-race-wimmer reasoning to extremes.
After all, Prost in 1988 won anyways a good number of races, and consistency is a good quality itself.

This new system can be criticized, but kept the standigs very close all throughout the season, which is not that bad!

I mean that its philosophy is discutable indeed, but its consequences are rather positive.

Last edited by climb; 13 Aug 2003 at 10:15.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:19 (Ref:687056)   #22
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going to put here a post I did in another forum about "wins-is-the-only-thing-that-matter" point systems.

---------------------------------------
Given all the points to the winner (i.e. giving WDC to the driver with most wins) is not a solution, however intuitive it can seem. If wins are spreaded among contenders that system can become meaningless.

For example, let's suppose we have 10 rounds and driver A has 3 wins, more than any other. Let's suppose driver B has 2 wins. Apparently A must win the WDC. But suppose B did 8 second positions and A did 7 lower positions. In this case, B outperformed A in 7 out of 10 races, and A won B in only 3 of 10. I find very unfair A claims the WDC in this scenario.

It is not a rare scenario, if you modify somehow those assumptions you can easily reach realistic situations where "winning-races-is-all" is not the way to follow.

Some people could argue another reason: it would destroy most of the interest in fighting for medium positions if it will not be rewarded in some significant way.

Anyway, all this is just I.M.H.O.
----------------------------------------------------
Old 13 Aug 2003, 12:31 (Ref:687070)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by climb
I wouldn't carry this pro-race-wimmer reasoning to extremes.
After all, Prost in 1988 won anyways a good number of races, and consistency is a good quality itself.

This new system can be criticized, but kept the standigs very close all throughout the season, which is not that bad!

I mean that its philosophy is discutable indeed, but its consequences are rather positive.
Niki Lauda's philosophy "To finish first, you first have to finish" has been take to extremes by his disciples Piquet and Prost...
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:38 (Ref:687178)   #24
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
But by the final race of the season he would have been champ anyway, so he wouldn't have made the move...
True
Old 13 Aug 2003, 16:59 (Ref:687309)   #25
JFAUSSAN
Rookie

JFAUSSAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we can't all live in the past sure it's fun to think about it but i'm only looking forward to what will happen in the futur with all the new changes comming into effect !!