Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Apr 2004, 13:36 (Ref:942562)   #1
Steve L
Rookie

Steve L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HGPCA Donington Park

Just been reading the new Motor Sport magazine and learnt of this 3 day meeting over the May Bank Holiday Weekend.

On the Saturday, there will be separate races for 1950s GP cars, 1960s GP cars and also races for similar period sports racers.

Does anyone know what entries have been made ?
Old 19 Apr 2004, 08:27 (Ref:943849)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you go ionto the BRDC website you can see the 50' Historic Sportscar entries. Carol Spagg has a round of Gentlemen Drivers on Saurday as well. On Sunday and Monday its FIA GT and Touring Car rounds.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 09:00 (Ref:943876)   #3
Steve L
Rookie

Thanks for the link details, Simon.

It looks a good entry.

Hope you have a good run in the Lotus !
Old 19 Apr 2004, 09:12 (Ref:943883)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thanks so do I!!! after last season a trouble free run would be very welcome!
Old 27 Apr 2004, 13:52 (Ref:953552)   #5
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sunday and Monday will feature qualifying and then races for the FIA events. All in all, what with Saturday's race card too, Donington's Historic GP this coming weekend looks set fair to be an exciting meeting with lots of action on track. We will be bringing out the Cooper to try and get into the FIA Lurani Trophy race. However, the Bishop was somewhat over exposed to Easter eggs.
Old 27 Apr 2004, 18:42 (Ref:953821)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And there's me already agreed to go to the Jousting at Belvoir Castle...why do I make these rash promises...hopefully nip in on Sunday and catch the qualies
Old 3 May 2004, 20:03 (Ref:959703)   #7
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went along on saturday and had a really good time - my one year old son's first ever race meeting! The stuff dreams have been made of for the past two years.

The point I want to make is, I was rather suprised that I was charged £15 for entry - rather steep for an unpromoted (in advertising terms) club event. I enjoy the atmosphere at historic meetings better than any others, but wondered if I would have set off if I had known it would be so much. I appreciate that many of the spectators (of who there were very few) will not have payed at all and will have been on freebies, and that the circuit has to make money somehow. But do the clubs involved/circuit promoters wish to attract spectators to these types of events of are they ambivolent about the matter?

The following day I went to a Superleague Rugby match, £15 entry and watched a non-contest for all of 80 minutes. Does this make Donington good value? I can't decide. How much should it cost to spectate at these types of event.
Old 3 May 2004, 20:24 (Ref:959723)   #8
Steve L
Rookie

I went along just on the Saturday, too.

Yes, tickets "on the day" were £15 each. The ad in Motor Sport magazine said if you called the number provided and mentioned the magazine then tickets would only be £10 each in advance.

What they didn't tell you is that on top of the £10 would be a £2 handling charge plus a £2 charge for using a credit card! So, a £10 ticket bought over the phone was actually £14! Hardly much of a saving......

I did save a bit by posting a cheque for a ticket, so with handling charge it cost "only" £12.

I was surprised how small the crowds were on the Saturday.

The races were a bit disappointing, too. They ended up being very processional.

I was looking forward to seeing the "hot shots" Barry Williams in the Aston DBR4 and John Ure in ERA R9B shake things up in both their races, but neither ran. I don't know if they'd been entered at VSCC Silverstone the week before and had hit problems there?

There were hardly any trade stands to browse around either on the Saturday, although going by the small crowd I wouldn't blame the trade for not attending.

The commentaries on all the races were very good (although I don't think non-starters were mentioned), and enthusiastic!

And it was good hearing Julian Bronson being interviewed after his race in the Lister! It was said he'd been timed at 183mph in it recently!!!!!!
Old 4 May 2004, 07:33 (Ref:960061)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

I am sorry it all looked processional, I was in the 50's sportscar race and if it is any consulation it felt far from processional!
I thought the race bfore mine where Sytner crewed up the start was fantastic, especially seeing that Bugatti running so high, the Gentlemen Drivers qualifying was quite fast and furious, for a Lotus Eleven to be outqualifying Cobra's was quite impressive. sadly I didnt watch the other races. I thought the paddock was much better organised than on previous occassions. I didnt go Sunday/Monday so dont know how the FIA events went. If this was a tatser for 5/6 June Silverstone meeting it looks good!
Old 4 May 2004, 07:46 (Ref:960070)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon..the Gentlman Drivers looked and sounded great, as usual. I had all sorts of trouble with the sun (true sign of a rank amateur) so didn't get as much as I would've liked but there are a few nice(ish) pics here
http://www.paulsands.org/don020504/gents/gents.html
Old 4 May 2004, 07:59 (Ref:960082)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

as usual great photo's Paul! Thanks so which race had only 3 starters?
Old 4 May 2004, 08:09 (Ref:960088)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
wasn't there on the Monday but I'd hazard a guess at the pre 77 Historic Tourers & GT's? there were only 7 qualifying..that made for an interesting session
but...this was lovely
Attached Thumbnails
img_7241.jpg  
Old 4 May 2004, 16:37 (Ref:960558)   #13
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was also surprised at the £15 for entry on Saturday, I'd been expecting it to be 10 or 12 and the crowd was surprisingly poor.

The racing on Monday was great, thoroughly enjoyable day out. The only disappointment was the three cars left circulating at the end, there's no way you could even call that a race and a shame the day ended on that note because the rest of the day had been fantastic.
Old 5 May 2004, 08:38 (Ref:961233)   #14
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Ranter
We will be bringing out the Cooper to try and get into the FIA Lurani Trophy race.
Did you overcome the problem with your helmet Bishop? Your Eminence's presence was missed at Curborough.

Duncan

PS Was it just the Easter Eggs that caused concerns?
Old 5 May 2004, 09:15 (Ref:961256)   #15
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
The Bishop wore a FIA approved mitre but alas to no avail. Coming onto the line switch engine off. Wait for countdown board for green flag lap. Start engine. Fail to start. Prayers not answered. Engine seized!

Cooper in dog house. Bishop has taken up gardening!
Old 5 May 2004, 12:14 (Ref:961399)   #16
BugEyed
Racer

Oh dear! Sorry that you had such a fraught time.

Perhaps you should stick to Vintage Cars - they have different characterful ways of upsetting us. No doubt Mistress NoNo and Mistress Wiggle have filled you in on events at Curborough.

See you soon.

Duncan

PS I didn't see your Pa at Curborough either - are you going enmass to Wiscombe?
Old 10 May 2004, 09:14 (Ref:966254)   #17
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury

Only No No was present at Wiscombe. The old T.A.R.T.S. were flogging antiques at Ally Pally.

Cooper is now in bits...well engine, gearbox, clutch. So far looks far better than first feared. Starter ring came off flywheel and locked up on pressed steel cover over oil pump so damage is minimal.

Understand your missus could be heard in Dorset and Cornwall from the paddock

Old 10 May 2004, 11:59 (Ref:966404)   #18
BugEyed
Racer

Bish

Was she quieter than normal then?

Whilst I'm glad that the damage to your Cooper isn't as bad as first feared, I must say that you missed an excellent event.

Do you know whether it's true that the Friday of the Silverstone Festival has been cancelled? If so, what is the revised programme?

See you at Cadwell. Mrs B and I may be at opposite ends of the paddock - no, not just my snoring! - but we are swapping roles for the Eastern Rally ....

Duncan
Old 10 May 2004, 18:25 (Ref:966755)   #19
MGCooperman
Rookie

MGCooperman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop Ranter
Cooper in dog house.
Good heavens how did you know that, she barely talked to me all weekend.
Although my stepson did well got a third in class in the endurance race on Saturday, and a fortunate first in class on Monday, got shutted off by Tim Rice (I think) and the race was stopped on the same lap as an E type had a horror and must be finished, the driver was OK as he was seen holding an icepack to a real shiner in the FIA tent.

Looked for you Bishop but couldn't find you, you weren't flying your standard.

Last edited by MGCooperman; 10 May 2004 at 18:28.