Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Nov 2014, 01:17 (Ref:3479443)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Lexus to join V8 Supercars?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257D9C00098AA2

Quote:
Lexus might also join an increasing number of non-Australian manufacturers in the V8 Supercar racing series to boost its profile and performance-car connection.

Mr Hanley said the company was considering a move in to racing now that it had an eligible car and that a Lexus race car would bring excitement to the brand.

“Excitement can only come from two areas: great design and great performance, and it’s the performance part of the equation where Supercar V8 racing has some association we're thinking for the future.

“LFA was not a car we could have used but now we are hearing about a few eligibility changes and we have an RC F coming with a V8 and suddenly we have a car you could race on Sunday that would be in the showroom on Monday.

“If you want to showcase a car in motorsport, you've also got to have a car of the same design to sell and we have that opportunity now.”
Old 28 Nov 2014, 01:24 (Ref:3479446)   #2
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW.

This attitude from Lexus is the Polar Opposite to Ford.

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)
Old 28 Nov 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3479447)   #3
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Ford has been burnt by the idiots (past and present) who run V8Supercars and Lexus actually believe the bull-**** Archer are telling them
Old 28 Nov 2014, 02:20 (Ref:3479456)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Downward spiral not detected
Old 28 Nov 2014, 03:04 (Ref:3479463)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Downward spiral not detected
Only because they were forced to make changes to open up the category, otherwise the downward spiral would have continued.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 05:32 (Ref:3479494)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Would like to see a modified version of Lexus new GT3 car join the category.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 06:51 (Ref:3479499)   #7
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Only because they were forced to make changes to open up the category, otherwise the downward spiral would have continued.
Really? Forced by whom?

The decision to make the change to COTF was taken some years ago before anyone was clamouring for it and one of the early statements from James Warburton was that they were looking at a further change to allow a wider range of motors, again before any manufacturers were demanding it (publicly at least).

You'd have to say that COTF has been good in that more manufacturers have become involved and that step 2 sounds like it's heading in the right direction for more to be at least interested.

There is plenty of work to do and V8SC is not as strong as it once was but it is doing OK and making changes without being "forced" to.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3479518)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Really? Forced by whom?
Forced by the way the category was heading, only two manufacturers and one of them losing interest.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3479545)   #9
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Forced by the way the category was heading, only two manufacturers and one of them losing interest.
Two manufacturers was fine for a long time & ultimately much of the appeal of the category was based around the tribal fan base of the two manufacturers.

Toyota and Mitsubishi looked very hard at it but ultimately did not jump in.

I'd suggest that Ford started to "lose interest" with the untimely death of Howard Marsden followed by Geoff Polities move to Europe - back in 2003/2004.

Seems to me rather than being "forced", V8SC have looked long and hard at their market and made some changes that have brought in more manufacturers and kicked some more interest into the category. As we enter the 3rd year of the new car, there are stories that Ford my not continue as a sponsor, so it sounds like rather than being "forced", V8SC got the timing about right.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3479696)   #10
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Two manufacturers was fine for a long time & ultimately much of the appeal of the category was based around the tribal fan base of the two manufacturers.

Toyota and Mitsubishi looked very hard at it but ultimately did not jump in.

I'd suggest that Ford started to "lose interest" with the untimely death of Howard Marsden followed by Geoff Polities move to Europe - back in 2003/2004.

Seems to me rather than being "forced", V8SC have looked long and hard at their market and made some changes that have brought in more manufacturers and kicked some more interest into the category. As we enter the 3rd year of the new car, there are stories that Ford my not continue as a sponsor, so it sounds like rather than being "forced", V8SC got the timing about right.
Personally, I think the timing is about five years late.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3479710)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Personally, I think the timing is about five years late.
Of course you would think that, saves you having to say something postive about the series

except that they are sitting her now with 5 brands, theyhave supported the australian car industry and are getting growing crowds to key events. and just written a massive tv contract.

Now if the perfect time to be considering the future
Old 29 Nov 2014, 01:10 (Ref:3479772)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The question might be which team becomes the technical partner for Lexus to join the series.

You might imagine 888 & Prodrive might be at the top of that list.

Two cars, four cars? 2017? Local build cars with 'works' engines?

Many interesting issues to think about
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Nov 2014, 03:47 (Ref:3479793)   #13
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Of course you would think that, saves you having to say something postive about the series

except that they are sitting her now with 5 brands, theyhave supported the australian car industry and are getting growing crowds to key events. and just written a massive tv contract.

Now if the perfect time to be considering the future
Not at all, they are heading in the right direction, I just think it should have been a few years earlier.

Just because you are getting a kicking in the 12hr thread, no need to take it out on me.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 05:01 (Ref:3479810)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Not at all, they are heading in the right direction, I just think it should have been a few years earlier.

Just because you are getting a kicking in the 12hr thread, no need to take it out on me.
Good, although the problem is we dont know the direction yet, lots of speculation still

But good news lexus is showing some genuine interest, time will tell
Old 29 Nov 2014, 05:03 (Ref:3479811)   #15
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I better go and check, Im sure they are all maning up and admitting just how wrong they were, Of course i imagine the sky is till falling and some how i am wrong even they i was right
You weren't quick enough to edit your initial response which is just as well as it needed an interpreter.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3479869)   #16
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
You weren't quick enough to edit your initial response which is just as well as it needed an interpreter.
Alcohol and keyboards do not mix.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3479905)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peckstar, Reload. Knock it off. Thank you.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 05:17 (Ref:3480967)   #18
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
As it stands, the RC F wont fit. Either the regs open up, or Lexus changes the car they intend to use. Should be a couple years before they intend to enter, so we'll see what happens.