Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2014, 17:18 (Ref:3478644)   #651
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess there's no seat left for Vergne, a RBR test seat would mean nothing, so that's not a bad idea, especially considering Massa will leave relatively soon (he's not going to get younger) and there's a meaningful seat there, especially now Nasr has got a drive elsewhere, and his only competition (if testing is a battle to impress) is Susie Wolff...
Old 25 Nov 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3478701)   #652
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dunno if there's no competition, richie stanaway's been lurking around with williams today. that'd be one heck of a good signing by them for their youth team...
Old 25 Nov 2014, 23:13 (Ref:3478722)   #653
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Jev would be a huge loss to the grid when he's clearly still getting better.

Maybe that's just it as far as Marko's concerned...he's not a quick enough learner?

Nah simple case of the old fizzog not fitting the moment situation I reckon?

He hasn't got any money to bring so a paid testing role is probably all he can hope for for next year.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 23:25 (Ref:3478726)   #654
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Jev would be a huge loss to the grid when he's clearly still getting better.
I question his motivation, when Kyvat's move got announced, he was suddenly faster.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3478852)   #655
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
being a jev fangirl i view that slightly differently. the kvyat announcement was a bit more of a release from the last few years of waiting for a rbr seat/getting told to sling his hook. when it finally happened he could actually get on with being a racing driver.

i think people underestimate the stresses and strains of having your current and future existance defined by a third party in that kind of way. especially when you've done the lions share of your growing up in such a situation.

equally you can also be in a decent car with a decent team behind you but the style of management your team has doesn't suit what you need to keep developing as a driver and a person (not saying that's the case, just throwing it out there for thought). it might be that williams give him the environment where he can improve his single lap pace - after all, you can't question his racing ability.

where red bull excels imo is that they *do* give their drivers a bit of grief. the past 10-15 years in the junior stuff it's become unacceptable for a team or engineer to give a driver a serious telling off or to read him the riot act because they run off to daddy and daddy takes his money elsewhere when in fact his son needs a yelling at on a regular basis to achieve and push himself.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 12:35 (Ref:3478892)   #656
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think people underestimate the stresses and strains of having your current and future existance defined by a third party in that kind of way. especially when you've done the lions share of your growing up in such a situation.
I don't underestimate anything but a really good driver can deliver no matter what else is going on. No matter how fast JEV has the potential to be, he has been utterly disappointing in the last 18 months. Given how fickle Marko is, he was lucky to get 2 years, and I think his F1 career is likely over.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 13:54 (Ref:3478908)   #657
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
not necessarily. ricciardo couldn't deliver regardless. he's had to learn.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3478923)   #658
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Vergne has been solidly disappointing, then surely Ricciardo was the same??? Kvyat is the most promising STR driver since Vettel. So my bet is Ricciardo will give a hammering this season

But Kvyat will stay on for a long, long time in F1...
Old 26 Nov 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3478942)   #659
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sainz set to drive for Toro Rosso: http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/1...onfirms-split/
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3478989)   #660
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jean-Eric Vergne has said he is leaving STR. It helps to point the drive in Sainz direction but is yet to be confirmed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116949
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3479009)   #661
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd quite like to see Lynn instead of Sainz. Nagging feeling in the back of my head that Sainz is a bit more of a Nelon Piquet Jr than a Sebastian Vettel. He's often done a very strong job in FR3.5 but proper "wow" moments along the way?
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3479013)   #662
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Shoving Sainz into STR for one season wouldn't hurt either him or Lynn, as the Brit could slot into Sainz's FR3.5 seat. Or GP2.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:55 (Ref:3479042)   #663
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
something doesn't quite seem right with lynn, but i think that's a personal blind spot. i don't rate gp3 at all, but he had that won aside from pedantry before they got to abu dhabi, he's won macau and been through the fia academy thing so he clearly knows his bum from his elbow.

sainz hasn't been in that blind spot but i'm still not sure about him. i wanted to see a bit more from him this season (given how flaky his opposition was at times) and he kind of didn't necessarily deliver it.

sainz vs verstappen would be a verrrrrry interesting combination. my money would be on sainz...
Old 26 Nov 2014, 21:45 (Ref:3479064)   #664
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didn't watch much GP3 this year (and I don't rate the field), so my last impression of Lynn is him being outclassed by Lello Marciello in the same team last year. I don't rate Sainz all that highly either, but I'd favour him for the TR seat.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3479105)   #665
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lynn has said he's targeting an F1 reserve drive for 2015, so with that, Vergne leaving and Gasly looking at GP2 it does rather leave the way open for Sainz.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3479205)   #666
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've met Alex Lynn twice - once just after he'd barrel-rolled his FRenault at Oulton a few years back and was understandably rather shaken but still had time to wave to everybody and thank those who were nearest for the help, and once down at Fortec's factory. He took plenty of time out of his day to talk me and my son through the parts of his car that were at the time laid out on the floor waiting for a tub to arrive.

Thoroughly nice bloke. Driven, certainly, but thoroughly nice. I'd be chuffed to bits to see him in an F1 seat.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3479244)   #667
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
in that case, that's what's wrong with him. you can't be a thoroughly nice bloke *and* be in f1
Old 27 Nov 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3479247)   #668
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
If Vergne has been solidly disappointing, then surely Ricciardo was the same??? Kvyat is the most promising STR driver since Vettel. So my bet is Ricciardo will give a hammering this season
Not really, JEV faffed about in the STR doing not much for the first half of the season while Ricciardo was belting Vettel...

If you want to look at static results in STR DR and JEV looked similar, but DR outqualified JEV and DR had more mechanical DNFs.

Anyway JEV fans can say if this if that. If my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.

I strongly believe we've seen the last of JEV, I don't know anybody that ever got a third year in STR before....
Old 27 Nov 2014, 12:38 (Ref:3479248)   #669
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've always liked Vergne, but I do think unfortunately after three seasons of scoring fairly regularly, racing pretty well and being edged on outright speed by both Ricciardo and Kvyat, it's probably time for him to accept that an F1 race drive might be a thing of the past now. He can make a decent career elsewhere, but I think what he lacked in F1 was that last couple of tenths of raw one-lap pace (and he ain't alone on that), and the ability to step things up and grab his chance when it came. A Red Bull seat has twice been a real possibility. I remember them adding him to the shortlist midway through 2013 after his beauty of a drive in Canada, suddenly he was in the ascendency and was maybe just starting to inch up on Ricciardo. Then the two or three races after that, he was crap. Frustrating. Chance gone.

McLaren's quotes today about the decision between Button and Magnussen not being based on points.....bye bye Jenson.
Old 27 Nov 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3479355)   #670
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
in that case, that's what's wrong with him. you can't be a thoroughly nice bloke *and* be in f1
JB's managed both for several years, like Webber before him. So whilst what you say is largely true, they're clearly a dying breed. Hopefully Ricciardo can stick around for a bit longer
Old 28 Nov 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3479630)   #671
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Carlos Sainz it is, confirmed.

It may be a little early to guess, but who do you reckon will come out on top between him and Verstappen?
That could be a little harsh on young Max, but Toro Rosso aren't exactly known for being soft on drivers.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 17:25 (Ref:3479636)   #672
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
Well, Carlos Sainz it is, confirmed.

It may be a little early to guess, but who do you reckon will come out on top between him and Verstappen?
That could be a little harsh on young Max, but Toro Rosso aren't exactly known for being soft on drivers.
If you compare their F3 tesults Max had lots more wins in less races.
Old 28 Nov 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3479641)   #673
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Both appear to have basic speed in spades, so where will their differences show?
Old 28 Nov 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3479675)   #674
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Both appear to have basic speed in spades, so where will their differences show?
Verstappen in the rain. Will give Hulkenberg and Hamilton a good showing (I'm assuming Mr Rainmaster Button won't be back in this comment).
Old 28 Nov 2014, 21:15 (Ref:3479715)   #675
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
If you compare their F3 tesults Max had lots more wins in less races.
https://www.driverdb.com/head-to-hea...rlos-sainz-jr/