Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3807613)   #551
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
highly doubtful fans will pay $300 for a grandstand ticket at our major events to watch TCR, thus all our major events will be no more
Of course not, TCR is a $20 for a nice day at Wakefiled or Mallala (Shannons Nationals) type of category.

$20 is a FAR more reasonable ticket price anyway!

You can have reasonable ticket prices when you are not trying to prop up a category owned by a capital firm and needing to squeeze every dollar for team REC income (to prop up cars and drivers that cost more to run than their actual market sponsorship value!).
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3807618)   #552
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But if a category is going to be the premier tin top category in the land then it has to be one of the fastest and with multiple other categories in Australia that will be quicker then TCR cannot be the premier category.
Of course not. Nobody was suggesting it would be.

It can however be a great category for manufacturers or dealers (or just amateur owner-drivers) to get involved with, a place where fans can cheer on cars they actually drive which are still on sale (unlike HSVs or FPVs) (Golf GTI, Civic Type R, Peugeot 308 GTI etc) and a MUCH needed stepping stone for Australian drivers into international front-wheel-drive touring car racing.

I feel like those who don't "get" front wheel drives hot hatch tend to the ones who are more skeptical of TCR. Let Top Gear reliving their youth remind you of why hot hatches are so much fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXZ0rlx-MFY -- do bear in mind that not all countries have dirt cheap fuel like Australia... running a gas guzzling 6 litre HSV in the UK is expensive in the extreme for instance, a luxury that is really not a sensible choice.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 13 Mar 2018 at 00:23.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:17 (Ref:3807619)   #553
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Of course not, TCR is a $20 for a nice day at Wakefiled or Mallala (Shannons Nationals) type of category.

$20 is a FAR more reasonable ticket price anyway!

You can have reasonable ticket prices when you are not trying to prop up a category owned by a capital firm and needing to squeeze every dollar for team REC income (to prop up cars and drivers that cost more to run than their actual market sponsorship value!).
Yep, you are right, $20 is reasonable because few want to attend and you need to be cheap

you can charge $300 when people want to attend and are prepared to pay more for prime spots
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:20 (Ref:3807620)   #554
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The problem with MARC and NZV8 is they are still generic spaceframe cars just like COTFs. You can't attract manufacturers with generic spaceframe cars.

1. Yes that's the appeal.

2. So you don't buy the Audi, you buy the more reasonably priced JAS Motorsport Civic Type R!
So what happens the first time someone dies in a car....

There is a reason we have space frame cars.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:29 (Ref:3807622)   #555
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
What do they turn up for though? The names, drivers and racing? Or is it Robbie Williams.

I think you are placing to much value on a lap time to get people to attend an event
History shows its not robbie williams, he has never played bathurst or sunday at newcastle. However i acknowledge some people pay for the concert day, but you pay gen admin for that, not for a grandstand, about a quarter of the price

People come to watch the premier category racing in our land, which by result of it being the premier category has great drivers and names and racing. But TCR wont be the premier category, there are many categories faster than TCR

If people are interested in TCR they should attend Bathurst in about 3 weeks time. the production cars are much closer to TCR cars in speed than TCR are to Supercars.

TCR will take back bathurst 1000 lap times to 30 years ago, No one genuinely wants that apart from Supercar haters
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:40 (Ref:3807623)   #556
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:

TCR will take back bathurst 1000 lap times to 30 years ago, No one genuinely wants that apart from Supercar haters
^ Doesn't understand that TCR is a support category (and fun one at that).
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:41 (Ref:3807625)   #557
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So what happens the first time someone dies in a car....
Tell that to the WRC, there are far more obstacles to hit on rally stages (even trees and cliffs) and they still use production bodyshells....
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:47 (Ref:3807628)   #558
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Actually i said it was a support category to supercars, you quoted my posts that were debating people that said it should premier category
Old 13 Mar 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3807631)   #559
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think it is too expensive to be a full grid support category, unless manufacturer support is forthcoming. If it was my dollar I would buy a GT car to race instead.

Old 13 Mar 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3807634)   #560
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I think it is too expensive to be a full grid support category, unless manufacturer support is forthcoming. If it was my dollar I would buy a GT car to race instead.

Gt4 has similar speed to a TCR car, similar price also (just adding in way of comparison)
Old 13 Mar 2018, 01:07 (Ref:3807635)   #561
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Tell that to the WRC, there are far more obstacles to hit on rally stages (even trees and cliffs) and they still use production bodyshells....
More obstacles but less concrete walls and far less chance of a tbone which is how the most serious and deadly accidents have happened most recently in Australia.

Old 13 Mar 2018, 02:03 (Ref:3807642)   #562
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
History shows its not robbie williams, he has never played bathurst or sunday at newcastle. However i acknowledge some people pay for the concert day, but you pay gen admin for that, not for a grandstand, about a quarter of the price
Hasn't Newcastle only had one event? You might want to give is a couple of goes before using it as a yard stick.

The sharp decline of Homebush and the dependence on musical acts to drive public support is an example of concerns around sustainability of the large style events.

Quote:
People come to watch the premier category racing in our land, which by result of it being the premier category has great drivers and names and racing. But TCR wont be the premier category, there are many categories faster than TCR

If people are interested in TCR they should attend Bathurst in about 3 weeks time. the production cars are much closer to TCR cars in speed than TCR are to Supercars.

I would challenge the notion that the public come to watch the premier category in the land - as opposed to the drivers, names and teams.

I also believe you are missing the point in regards to your connection to lap times , premier category and public support.

For example - NASCAR are not the fastest category in North America yet have the largest crowd support and would be deemed to be US Racing's premier category.

For Example - V8SC are not the fastest category in Australia in 2018 yet have the largest crowd support and would be deemed to be Australia's premier category.

If TCR brings in manufacturers, who contract the best teams (Penske, 888, BJR, Prodrive etc) who then pay the household drivers the best $$$ - where do you think the fans will go watch?
Old 13 Mar 2018, 02:15 (Ref:3807645)   #563
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Hasn't Newcastle only had one event? You might want to give is a couple of goes before using it as a yard stick.

The sharp decline of Homebush and the dependence on musical acts to drive public support is an example of concerns around sustainability of the large style events.

I would challenge the notion that the public come to watch the premier category in the land - as opposed to the drivers, names and teams.

I also believe you are missing the point in regards to your connection to lap times , premier category and public support.

For example - NASCAR are not the fastest category in North America yet have the largest crowd support and would be deemed to be US Racing's premier category.

For Example - V8SC are not the fastest category in Australia in 2018 yet have the largest crowd support and would be deemed to be Australia's premier category.

If TCR brings in manufacturers, who contract the best teams (Penske, 888, BJR, Prodrive etc) who then pay the household drivers the best $$$ - where do you think the fans will go watch?
challenge it then! The drivers, names and teams race every february at Bathurst. the cars are slightly faster, the fields are bigger it has manufacturer support and has been racing for over ten years. the crowds dont go. about a 5th of the supercars event

Whats going to cause them to come to a category that is as slow as 30 years ago. Nothing, not one thing.

Might be a good support category at its best
Old 13 Mar 2018, 02:20 (Ref:3807646)   #564
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Regardless of which way the category goes there is one certainty.

Costs must come down and not by a small margin either. The days of having half a million dollar cars and 100k engines cannot last long in this category if it is to succeed in these times of less manufacturer dollars and the fight for sponsorship being even more fierce with so many ways a company can spend their marketing budget.

Times have changed. The category has to change with it.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 02:29 (Ref:3807649)   #565
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Regardless of which way the category goes there is one certainty.

Costs must come down and not by a small margin either. The days of having half a million dollar cars and 100k engines cannot last long in this category if it is to succeed in these times of less manufacturer dollars and the fight for sponsorship being even more fierce with so many ways a company can spend their marketing budget.

Times have changed. The category has to change with it.
with multiple new investors in supercars in recent years, what do you base that on?
Old 13 Mar 2018, 02:48 (Ref:3807650)   #566
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the key thing is what cars will get a lot of people excited to watch them race? Plain hatchbacks aren't exciting enough, hot hatches and sportscars aren't relevant to enough people. Even Mustang vs Camaro would struggle I think.

When the 5L touring car formula was launched the Commodore and Falcon had around a third of the total market, so even without the Holden vs Ford heritage the cars were relatable to a lot of people.

I'm not sure what the future will hold, perhaps something like the Pirelli World Challenge GTS category in the US, ie homologate whatever you want with a performance balance/parity so you have sports cars, muscle cars, hot hatches. It could be a return to the pre-5L days where you have a heavy powerful car that kills its tyres, a small light car that makes ground under brakes. Balancing things will be tricky, but it might be only option and would make the racing more interesting.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 02:54 (Ref:3807651)   #567
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't GTS effectively GT4, TCR, and a homegrown class, all combined?

Or is that the IMSA one?
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:11 (Ref:3807652)   #568
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
challenge it then! The drivers, names and teams race every february at Bathurst. the cars are slightly faster, the fields are bigger it has manufacturer support and has been racing for over ten years. the crowds dont go. about a 5th of the supercars event
Many of those at the 1000 are bogans. The Summernats drunkard crowd. Hence the "one slab a day" limit.

The 12 hour is attended primarily by motor racing enthusiasrs, those who like hillclimbs, historic events and the like, and that is naturally a smaller audience.

Conversely, the urban street race crowd numbers are propped up by music fans -- some of which don't even bother to watch the car racing at all.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:17 (Ref:3807653)   #569
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Many of those at the 1000 are bogans. The Summernats drunkard crowd. Hence the "one slab a day" limit.

The 12 hour is attended primarily by motor racing enthusiasrs, those who like hillclimbs, historic events and the like, and that is naturally a smaller audience.

Conversely, the urban street race crowd numbers are propped up by music fans -- some of which don't even bother to watch the car racing at all.
Of course they are bogans, only bogans like motorsport. Its a given

But they spend money to enjoy what they like doing and there are a lot of them

not really sure what your point is. Any replacement still has to attract them
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:40 (Ref:3807657)   #570
StueyB83
Rookie

StueyB83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR as the main game in October wouldn't work. Simply put, it's not yobbo enough to identify with the current demographic that forms the bulk of the crowd.

The Supertourer 1000's of the 90's proved that it doesn't work, and TCR would be more of the same.

TCR would be better served as a class in the 12 hour - which serves a good turn-key race car event.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:42 (Ref:3807658)   #571
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
not really sure what your point is. Any replacement still has to attract them
I see!

I said it before, why not just run used [or new, it doesn't matter] NASCARs but with (BOPed) stock crate engines instead of the racing engines (since I figure the racing engine is the most expensive part of the stock car)? Chevy is there, Ford is there. NASCARs put on good shows on road courses.

Why do the cars in the Supercars series need to have working headlights or opening doors -- what does it matter, it's not the ATCC anymore?
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:45 (Ref:3807660)   #572
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
I see!

I said it before, why not just run used [or new, it doesn't matter] NASCARs but with (BOPed) stock crate engines instead of the racing engines (since I figure the racing engine is the most expensive part of the stock car)? Chevy is there, Ford is there. NASCARs put on good shows on road courses.

Why do the cars in the Supercars series need to have working headlights or opening doors -- what does it matter, it's not the ATCC anymore?
Because its working and the fans like it.

and NASCAR do not put on a good show on race courses,They put on a novel show and is significantly inferior to supercars
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:47 (Ref:3807661)   #573
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Because its working and the fans like it.
It's not working though! The field is small, grandstands are half empty, lots of cars don't have sponsorship.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:50 (Ref:3807664)   #574
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
It's not working though! The field is small, grandstands are half empty, lots of cars don't have sponsorship.
The field isnt small, there are 26 cars, thats heaps

And the grandstands are not half empty, you made that up. At bathurst they were full, at newcastle they were full and at adelaide they were mostly full (the bulk of the crowd only sit in the grandstands during the race)

Only one car doesn't have sponsorship and it did, but the sponsor was closed by the current owner just before the start of the season, but a lack of sponsor will happen in any motorsport
Old 13 Mar 2018, 03:52 (Ref:3807665)   #575
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
The field isnt small, there are 26 cars, thats heaps
Lol

Shall I read out the 1999 Adelaide 500 entry list and note how there are fourteen more cars on it?

That's roughly 50% more action for trackside fans!