Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Feb 2018, 04:43 (Ref:3802529)   #76
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
That was about as predicable as sunrise.
and so are your tired tactics of giving up when someone doesn't agree with every thing you gibber in a rational debate, throwing your toys out of the cot and attacking the man, rather than the ball!

[predictable son, predictable...]

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 20 Feb 2018 at 04:53.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3802532)   #77
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets just keep driving faster and put sand traps on every corner ... right!

Surely some people drive beyond their means or capabilities to get that "extra 10th" "sometimes end up in the wall" or become tired and relaxed and end up in the wall also. The more we run that fine line to get the Perfect Lap the line becomes thinner or fence becomes closer. I dont see an issue with the track to be honest but then again Im only a spectator and not a racer. What do the racers think of changing the Bathurst track?

Every track has its tricky/safety points and concerns.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3827634)   #78
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In-car hazard warning system set for Bathurst 12H trial

A new system has been earmarked to help prevent incidents such as the one involving Ash Walsh and John Martin at this year’s Bathurst 12 Hour. Hopefully it will ease the problem as it is long overdue.

I posted this also in the Bathurst 12 hour thread in the Sportscars sub-forum, but I know many dont venture into the Sports Cars area so included it here as well.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3827644)   #79
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm. A few thoughts off the top of my head:

1) It needs to be guaranteed to work. A reliable form of signalling in car would be an excellent thing, but it has to be 100% reliable. 99% isn't good enough. And we all know a race car is a harsh environment and small electrical bits can and do fail.
2) It'll presumably be something else the marshal needs to do - could be an issue if already waving two flags and trying to call in on coms.
3) A risk of the driver ignoring flags and looking only at the dash system.
4) If flags are out, they're out, driver could easily argue the light didn't come on in time/at all as his reason for the subsequent incident.
5) Drivers mostly just need to observe the existing flags, which is a constantly recurring theme. Ever more new and interesting methods keep coming in to cover for the fact that drivers don't take the appropriate action when given the existing signals.
6) Driversare generally of the mis-conception that flags are for their own safety and they can make a judgement when they see the reason. They're not, they're for the safety of stranded drivers and deployed marshals, and by the time they've seen those, it's too late to make that judgement.

As a footnote, I know there was a lot of discussion at the time about the flag being deployed late on drivers' right, and footage is inconclusive. However, I know from marshals on the previous post drivers' left that flags were displayed at that point. Certainly several drivers made it safely through, and that's consistent with previous incidents in the same place.
Old 8 Jun 2018, 14:20 (Ref:3827661)   #80
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will tell you how it goes on the 7th October
I hope still fast as ever.

Dont slow the racing, Use the warning systems
Old 9 Jun 2018, 06:08 (Ref:3827778)   #81
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall seeing a few mentions that race control to car radio contact is not an option - can anyone give an explanation to this line of thinking?

The club level racing I do has all drivers tuned into a channel from race control. We can still run pit to car as normal, but the race control channel takes priority and overrides the pit communication.

I'm obviously working at a very different level to 12HR competitors and have limited racing experience overall, but I find it to be extremely helpful as race control will update us of hazards on track, locations for any safety vehicles or crashes. And not just by corner but by what side of the track.

It seems to work well from my point of view and the only downsides I can see someone might argue are not actually related to safety - what am I missing?
Old 11 Aug 2018, 04:27 (Ref:3842925)   #82
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedrummer View Post
I seem to recall seeing a few mentions that race control to car radio contact is not an option - can anyone give an explanation to this line of thinking?

The club level racing I do has all drivers tuned into a channel from race control. We can still run pit to car as normal, but the race control channel takes priority and overrides the pit communication.

I'm obviously working at a very different level to 12HR competitors and have limited racing experience overall, but I find it to be extremely helpful as race control will update us of hazards on track, locations for any safety vehicles or crashes. And not just by corner but by what side of the track.

It seems to work well from my point of view and the only downsides I can see someone might argue are not actually related to safety - what am I missing?
Bathurst has about 31 Flag Points on a fixed loop (not Radio)/about the same number on radio (say) for Fire, Medical, Recovery and Rescue...your suggestion is not impossible, but access to the Teams Car to Pits channels would be needed and a Race Control Feed to that network.

However, with so much happening and to look after...I suggest it is just a "nice to have" ...