Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 26 Jan 2001, 22:53 (Ref:60521)   #26
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
hmmm... [thinks] Dave works in the motor industry... he must have a few contacts at vehicle rental companies - and i'm sure he'd not like to be referred to as a 'tight arse'...
Old 28 Jan 2001, 21:37 (Ref:60869)   #27
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 days gone by and no reply

I think we need a show of hands here.

Do we:

a) Take a couple of cars (I don't mind putting the mileage on my car - it's a saloon - it's reliable and has low mileage for it's age. People obviously chip in for the cost of petrol and a little extra for wear and tear.

b) Hire out a people carrier/mini bus and all chip in for the cost. If the prices I found are anything to go by, we talking about £60 per day @ 4 days (Fri - Mon). I don't mind paying for it, collecting the minibus and collecting the money from everyone but if people let me down, I'll be after their blood (every pint!!!!!)

Example of cost: We have so far......

6 definites
2 maybes

Counting on definites is £40 each plus petrol/diesel.

Including the maybes £30 each plus petrol/diesel.
Old 28 Jan 2001, 22:07 (Ref:60880)   #28
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, I could be a very stong maybe for this trip.
It should help lower the cost of a mini bus or whatever.
Old 28 Jan 2001, 23:45 (Ref:60902)   #29
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
With that many it's going to have to be a mini-bus not an MPV. Remember you've got bags, tents, Craig's beer supply to shift and most MPV's are people or luggage not both.

Either way put me down for a probable - cash, work, sunspots, etc permitting (or am I one of the definates already ?)
Old 29 Jan 2001, 00:49 (Ref:60913)   #30
Lorna
Veteran

Sunspots?????

I had you down as a definite, Redshoes. I'll send you an email.
Old 29 Jan 2001, 06:43 (Ref:60935)   #31
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couple of questions a) Where would we be starting this journey from? or more to the point where have I got to drive to to join you all?
and b) as I am no camper - is anyone going to B&B and how could I get to the track??
Old 30 Jan 2001, 00:04 (Ref:61089)   #32
Lorna
Veteran

Nice one Lee. Let us know when you fall into the definite category

As we haven't ascertained the finer details yet, it's hard to say, Les but I am assuming that I would be your nearest neighbour in Milton Keynes - ooh! Sorry - Aylesbury by then , you can drive to mine? There will be a safe place to park your car for the week, assuming that you have a car that the other half doesn't need for the week? So hopefully, that part will not be a problem regardless if we take cars or minibus.

As far as you staying in B&B, I am sure that it will not be a problem coming to pick you up. Are you insured to drive other cars? If so, then if I drive my car, I do not mind you taking mine back to the B&B once we are settled in campsite. Do you have a B&B in mind already or is that still up for investigating? Considering my sleepless nights in tents so far - I may be joining you! It's not the most comfortable way to sleep and I still can't get those people that were snoring loudly when I camped at Oulton Park after travelling from Luton! Oh! and that noisy generator at Snetterton!
Old 30 Jan 2001, 18:34 (Ref:61164)   #33
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I hope your not expecting an sympathy for Snetterton. Who's stupid idea was it to camp right next to the toilets anyhow
Old 30 Jan 2001, 20:32 (Ref:61187)   #34
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We HAD too, it was the only way we could stop Craig and Dave driving THROUGH any more tents!!!!!!!!!
Old 30 Jan 2001, 20:53 (Ref:61194)   #35
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say I reckon you ought to put me down as a 'probably not'. It's just that to go up for 4 days with 3 nights B&B is about the same as 1 night B&B and 2 flights (and less holidays to take as I'm short of days this year).
I am also not a 100% sure that Kev can't make it.
Old 31 Jan 2001, 12:40 (Ref:61328)   #36
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The secret is to fly Friday morning very early and then get a flight back Sunday PM...
Would offer a space in my hire car but last year I cleared off after the Clio race to avoid the traffic leaving after the feature, blagged my way onto an earlier flight and was sat on the roof terrace in London in the sunshine before the team had reached the Scottish Border...
I will be sleeping in the team truck which is anti-social as well but solidarity with the mechanics and all that!
But this was cheaper and easier (if you value lost holiday as highly as me...)

RickP
Old 1 Feb 2001, 20:40 (Ref:61738)   #37
Lorna
Veteran

Booking the holiday is not a problem with me - my company is quite generous there (6 weeks a year - YAY!) Just trying to keep the cost down (I've got a house to save for )

I flew to Scotland in 1997 to go to Knockhill. Thrashed the pants off the hire car (as you do) Said hello to Tarquini in the airport before we boarded our plane.

Does the truck have heating, Rick? Tents don't!

Hmm, the guys told me that they camped next to the loo's because they wouldn't have to walk far when they needed to use them. The "driving through tents" reason does sound like a more feasible explanation, Lee And it wasn't my idea Red! Honest! The tents were pitched by the time I got there! Honest!
Old 1 Feb 2001, 21:11 (Ref:61748)   #38
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry guys - having no luck with getting a decent deal on a minibus, so it looks like it'll be several cars for Knockhill afterall..

About Snett... the reason we decided on that spot was that it was the closest we could possibly get to the paddock when we arrived - the rest of the place was jammed full with tents. After that poxy generator fired up when the sun went down, we realised why...!
Old 1 Feb 2001, 21:24 (Ref:61759)   #39
Invader
Veteran

Invader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we looking at 4 days?....I'll have a bash next week with some of me customers....do I have a target price to barter with?
Old 1 Feb 2001, 21:35 (Ref:61771)   #40
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Yep - early (very) Friday AM til sometime (late ? ) Monday PM...

Price ? As cheap as possible. I reckon that we can get one from TLF for around fifty quid a day, but we're really looking for something just a tad cheaper Cannot get any response from TLS right now for some reason though

It really depends on how the total cost of 1x minibus plus fuel compares to 2 or 3 cars and their fuel...

Your help is much appreciated Daveo - see what they offer you and we'll do some sums
Old 1 Feb 2001, 21:51 (Ref:61781)   #41
Invader
Veteran

O'diddley'kay!
Old 1 Feb 2001, 22:26 (Ref:61789)   #42
Lorna
Veteran

You star, Invader. That would help us out heaps if you have any luck. If not, I said before, I don't mind driving.
Old 2 Feb 2001, 14:52 (Ref:61925)   #43
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Lorna, the truck doesn't have heating and it does have ****ed mechanics struggling in when the pubs shut and then snoring all night. But I do get the VIP suite as the driver (the bit with the carpet on the floor) so it's not all bad... plus it means I can sleep until I hear the Renault chef finishing off the preparations to the bacon sarnies without worrying about getting in through race day traffic.
RickP
Old 2 Feb 2001, 21:18 (Ref:62026)   #44
Invader
Veteran

Bloody popstars
Old 3 Feb 2001, 02:59 (Ref:62104)   #45
Lorna
Veteran

Typical ... I'm usually the person making the bacon butties....
Old 3 Feb 2001, 09:01 (Ref:62127)   #46
Veteran

England
Zurich
Oi! Less of the sarcasm, I've done my time, earn't my way to this degree of unheated, carpeted luxury.
The number of tracks I've slept in the car and believe me, my old 911 was not exactly the most comfortable thing to sleep in!
Try 3 nights in a row in Anglesea, with the car rocking gently as the rain lashes against the window? Then tell me that being woken my the Renault chef making my breakfast to the dulcit tones of Terry Wogan (yet to persuade him to change his radio choice) has not been earnt??
Old 3 Feb 2001, 11:39 (Ref:62142)   #47
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RickP:Clio33
Oi! Less of the sarcasm, I've done my time, earn't my way to this degree of unheated, carpeted luxury.
The number of tracks I've slept in the car and believe me, my old 911 was not exactly the most comfortable thing to sleep in!
Ooh, you poor thing! Do you wanna borrow my Mini?
Old 3 Feb 2001, 11:48 (Ref:62147)   #48
Veteran

England
Zurich
I deserved that...
RickP
Old 3 Feb 2001, 11:57 (Ref:62153)   #49
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That you did, Mister!

I was only getting you back for not recognising me at Autosprout.
Old 3 Feb 2001, 12:39 (Ref:62170)   #50
Invader
Veteran

I hope your current 911 is more comfy
My Bond Bug sleeps fourteen comfortably with it's F1 style hydraulic hospitality area.