Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 16 Jan 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1202077)   #1
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ROYAL OAK PUB - Silverstone Village

I drove though Silverstone Village yesterday ....

SHOCK !!!..The Royal Oak pub is closed and all the windows are boarded up !

How long has it been like that ? , its terrible as its a nice old pub that one . I really liked going int here for a pint and some lunch when ever i was up that way ...
We was gonna pop in there for a bit of lunch and a drink yesterday too until we noticed it was no more. ....gutted !

anyone know if its gonna open again ?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1202104)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm.

Don't know about that but there's a good one in Whittlebury (can't think of the name at the 'mo) and its only 5 mins from Silverstone village.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1202128)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a pub in the middle of Silverstone village called The White Lion, which is also really nice. I had a meal there after the LMES race last year.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1202149)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
White Lion??? Funny I'd always know it as the White Horse...

The Scabby Nag (as the Marshals call it) is the place to drinl at Silverstone - its where you will find the marshals, teams, drivers etc... the eveing before and after a race.

Alternativley if you fancy a slightly gentler eveing then the Bull and Butch in Akeley (go past whittlebury hall about 1km) or A pub who's name escapes me in Syresham.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1202150)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Hmm.

there's a good one in Whittlebury (can't think of the name at the 'mo) and its only 5 mins from Silverstone village.
Thats The Fox and Hounds isnt it ?....

Thats a lovley pub with a good resturant in the back as well .
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1202172)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the Johnny.

Pop in there for lunch when I go to get my Tyres.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1202491)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be the Scabby Nag, it's the "Staff Room" for thems that are instructors too!

Beer's good, atmosphere is good, etc..

Had many a good night out in there.

Rob.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1203304)   #8
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Oak always used to be the pub to drink in...then it got turned in to what seemed like a gay bar.

We now drink in the Scabby Nag. The place to be after a race meeting.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1203316)   #9
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to frequent a very nice place in Abthorpe (can't remember the name though) - excellent home cooked food and good atmosphere. Don't know what it's like there now.
Old 10 Feb 2005, 23:37 (Ref:1222545)   #10
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the Royal Oak went just before Christmas. I have to confess I only tend to drink in the White Horse - the Oak seemed to have a local reputation for being the one frequented by people who had been barred from the Horse!

Other nice ones I can suggest are the Queens Head near Stowe School and there's one just south of Towcester on the A5. The Folly, I think - or is it The Angel
Old 10 Feb 2005, 23:39 (Ref:1222546)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh, and pleasant as the White Horse is - and the food is consistently excellent pub grub - a couple of really chewy guest beers wouldn't go amiss.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2907321)   #12
plavix
Rookie

plavix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another option

Seems the other pub in Whttlebury has re-opened, The Fox & Hounds. I found it here: www.gpsurvival.com.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2907377)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And the original subject of the thread has been demolised!
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2907407)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back on topic,I used to lodge with friends in the village,long hard week at RMLs
would see half a dozen of us in there Friday night [easy walking distance for me!] It used to be a great place but as mentioned elsewhere,the little nasties started to frequent the place and it went downhill very quickly.
I think you'll find that its been empty for around three and a half years now.
Old 28 Jun 2011, 15:40 (Ref:2907422)   #15
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Terrance, as I said the Royal Oak has actually been demolished (unless they've re built it since the weekend??)
Old 28 Jun 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2907581)   #16
plavix
Rookie

I drove past it on the Saturday of the MotoGP 2011, and was sure it was still there and not actually demolished?

Obviously it's all still boarded up, so I don't think the Oak actually qualifies as a pub, whether it's got a tent and beer at the back or not!

And they only sell Fosters, which also disqualifies it as a pub because Fosters is only any good for cleaning lines and general washing up.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 17:29 (Ref:2909505)   #17
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Nope, pretty sure its gone and has been for some while. There is a big fence and gates where it used to be, but no building.

I'm sure it'll end up being houses at some point although if I remember correctly the land is owned by the circuit.
Old 1 Jul 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2909640)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
Terrance, as I said the Royal Oak has actually been demolished (unless they've re built it since the weekend??)

Ah,that would be the 'H' missing then. Cheers. Terence.
Old 5 Jul 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2922344)   #19
plavix
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza View Post
Nope, pretty sure its gone and has been for some while. There is a big fence and gates where it used to be, but no building.

I'm sure it'll end up being houses at some point although if I remember correctly the land is owned by the circuit.
Ha, probably on the list of things to do:

1. Rebuild Circuit, CHECK.
2. Build proper Grandstand, CHECK (but just the one mind).
3. Get everyone to camp with Silverstone Circuit so we can make even more money, CHECK.
4. Replace PA system with something modern, FAIL.
5. Install more screens so people can actually see them, FAIL.
6. Add 21st Century Communication and services to the track, FAIL.
. . .
101. Rebuild pub.