Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 20 Aug 2013, 18:57 (Ref:3292116)   #1
TrickyLad
Rookie

TrickyLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton - Gold Cup

I originally only volunteered for the Monday, but it turns out I can now do the Sunday as well. As the tickets cover the full weekend, can I just turn up on the Sunday and add my name onto the sign in form, or should I be letting someone know first?

If I should be speaking to someone first, does anyone know if that someone would be Margaret or someone else?

Happy I can do 2 days, there looks like there is a LOT on!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3292133)   #2
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyLad View Post
I originally only volunteered for the Monday, but it turns out I can now do the Sunday as well. As the tickets cover the full weekend, can I just turn up on the Sunday and add my name onto the sign in form, or should I be letting someone know first?

If I should be speaking to someone first, does anyone know if that someone would be Margaret or someone else?

Probably best to drop Margaret an e-mail just to be sure. I don't think it would be a problem to have more marshals though!
Old 20 Aug 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3292146)   #3
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As Chris said, send Margaret an email. I can't see it being a problem. I did exactly that today, I was originally only doing the Saturday but I'm now doing another duty on the Sunday, so I've dropped her a message to let her know my intentions.

I already have the ticket stubs for Saturday and Sunday so that will be easy to sort out.

Elliot.
Old 20 Aug 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3292163)   #4
TrickyLad
Rookie

TrickyLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers guys. Email sent.

See you there!
Old 21 Aug 2013, 05:30 (Ref:3292262)   #5
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I realised that I couldn't plan the year's marshalling in advance I spoke to a number of chief marshals.

The general consensus was not to volunteer but, if able, to turn up on the day. They would rather fit an extra body in somewhere than have to sort out how to cater for someone apologising who had been allocated already.

But if you know you can make it in advance and let them know then that gives those chiefs a better idea of who they have available when they do the allocations.

So this was good advice all round.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 08:06 (Ref:3292308)   #6
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A small contingent of Southern Softies are breaking out the Winter thermals and feeding up the Huskies at this very moment for their annual trip to the hinterlands of Cheshire, that delightful land of cheese & potatoes. All three sleds have been waxed with whale blubber and I have purchased a new charcoal stick for making inscriptions and hieroglyphics of horseless carriages in the snow.

We look forward to it....

Bladders
Old 21 Aug 2013, 12:31 (Ref:3292378)   #7
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
A small contingent of Southern Softies are breaking out the Winter thermals and feeding up the Huskies at this very moment for their annual trip to the hinterlands of Cheshire, that delightful land of cheese & potatoes.Bladders
But the whole country has been basking in a heatwave - including the Cheshire Gap which brings nasty weather down to us in Stafford! I assume the sleds are on wheels?
Old 21 Aug 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3292445)   #8
drewchef
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
drewchef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyLad View Post

When I found out I could do an extra day at the BTCC I emailed the same question and was told just turn up

Andy.
Old 21 Aug 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3292499)   #9
peteh
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
peteh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_08 View Post
As Chris said, send Margaret an email. I can't see it being a problem. I did exactly that today, I was originally only doing the Saturday but I'm now doing another duty on the Sunday, so I've dropped her a message to let her know my intentions.

I already have the ticket stubs for Saturday and Sunday so that will be easy to sort out.

Elliot.
Would that be brewing up then
Old 21 Aug 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3292510)   #10
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
A small contingent of Southern Softies are breaking out the Winter thermals and feeding up the Huskies at this very moment for their annual trip to the hinterlands of Cheshire, that delightful land of cheese & potatoes. All three sleds have been waxed with whale blubber and I have purchased a new charcoal stick for making inscriptions and hieroglyphics of horseless carriages in the snow.

We look forward to it....

Bladders
It'll be good to see you again, Martin. It's Oulton's 60th birthday. I guess you remember when it opened!
Old 21 Aug 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3292530)   #11
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
It'll be good to see you again, Martin. It's Oulton's 60th birthday. I guess you remember when it opened!
I am wounded - me....

Look forward to seeing all old friends at Oulton, great bunch......

Bladders......
Old 22 Aug 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3292634)   #12
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh View Post
Would that be brewing up then
Where I'm going that is extremely likely Pete.
Old 22 Aug 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3292651)   #13
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewchef View Post
When I found out I could do an extra day at the BTCC I emailed the same question and was told just turn up

Andy.
If you are down to incident yes that's fine as I allocate on the day. If you are PC or Flag they like to know in advance as they pre-allocate. so if they've got spaces they know you are there to fill rather than hope for the best on the morning (especially if you aren't front of the queue!)
Old 22 Aug 2013, 22:28 (Ref:3292859)   #14
Fro5TI
Rookie

England
South Fylde, Lanc's
Fro5TI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshalGirl View Post
If you are down to incident yes that's fine as I allocate on the day. If you are PC or Flag they like to know in advance as they pre-allocate. so if they've got spaces they know you are there to fill rather than hope for the best on the morning (especially if you aren't front of the queue!)
Ah good, that answers my question too I can now make it on Monday as well as the Sunday that I originally volunteered for. Looking forward to this
Old 26 Aug 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3294348)   #15
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Great day at island today, hope the 500cc f3 driver is ok, nasty hit, medical crew did a great job as ever. Think the 2nd Derek bell trophy race was the best race I've seen all year. An absolute pleasure and honour to see those cars driven like they did, and Michael Lyons is just incredible! The guy is just what historic racing needs, a young driver that's not affraid to drive the cars as they were intended. Thanks to the Lyons clan (and all the other drivers/owners for that matter) for letting us watch their prized possessions out on track :-)
Old 26 Aug 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3294421)   #16
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a quick note to say thanks very much to the marshals who rescued me (grey Ford 100E in the Historic Touring Cars) after I spun (span?) at Island. An 85 mph spin isn't something I'd care to repeat, and I had a very pleasant 5 laps sat on the tyres like a pixie!

Cheers all
Old 27 Aug 2013, 06:50 (Ref:3294561)   #17
Nicki_B
Rookie

Nicki_B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park - Gold Cup

What a great weekend at the Gold Cup, thanks go out to David, Mark and everyone in the Pit Lane who made this visitor so very welcome. Sorry guys but like Arnie "I'll be back!" thanks again
Old 27 Aug 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3294589)   #18
Nadine J Lewis
Veteran

England
Hartford, Northwich
Nadine J Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimkin View Post
Just a quick note to say thanks very much to the marshals who rescued me (grey Ford 100E in the Historic Touring Cars) after I spun (span?) at Island. An 85 mph spin isn't something I'd care to repeat, and I had a very pleasant 5 laps sat on the tyres like a pixie!

Cheers all
Not a problem :-) You looked a little shaken afterwards but no damage done and you got to drive off again at the end
Old 27 Aug 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3294599)   #19
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to all the team at Deer Leap by keeping us flaggies (Keith & me) out of mischief.
Good racing, good weather and good craic.
Radio message of the weekend though had to be from Signal 1 (aka Mike C, chair-person) asking us to wave our green flags with more flourish!
We hope we did it right and we now look forward to our next flag training day when we will be asked to wave with flourish, panache, style, elegance, frantic and grace.
Liberal interpretation may be needed though for style and elegance.
Ha, see you all next Saturday.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3294646)   #20
drewchef
Rookie

England
Huddersfield
drewchef should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had an excellent 3 day weekend at the Gold Cup. Camping for the first time, must get a bigger tent though next long weekend.
Flagging experience day at Clay Hill on Saturday mentored by the vastly experienced Graham B, thanks for all the tips. The "usually" quiet Clay Hill had a couple of beautiful Chevrons trying to destroy each other just before the bridge which brought out the red flag.
Then, Monday morning, mayhem in the Derek Bell Trophy Race 1. I was one of the first two on scene to find about half a dozen cars strewn across the track, axles, wheels and wings scattered about and lots of leaking fluids.
All drivers were smartly out of the cars and were OK, thankfully no injuries or fires. The Rescue teams were quickly among us plus the incident guys from Knickerbrook who ran up the hill.
A wonderful variety of machinery racing over the 3 days with a highlight being the Super Tourers, hope this series gets bigger and returns next year.
A memorable weekend!

Andy R
Old 27 Aug 2013, 11:31 (Ref:3294673)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
I've posted on the "Poorly PieLady 2" thread about my visit to Oulton yesterday so won't repeat here, except to thank everyone who sent their best wishes via Bill on Saturday and Sunday - much appreciated.
Old 27 Aug 2013, 14:56 (Ref:3294773)   #22
Fro5TI
Rookie

England
South Fylde, Lanc's
Fro5TI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
Thanks to all the team at Deer Leap by keeping us flaggies (Keith & me) out of mischief.
Good racing, good weather and good craic.
Radio message of the weekend though had to be from Signal 1 (aka Mike C, chair-person) asking us to wave our green flags with more flourish!
We hope we did it right and we now look forward to our next flag training day when we will be asked to wave with flourish, panache, style, elegance, frantic and grace.
Also on Deer Leap for a cracking couple of days, and that wasn't just the weather! The racing was superb and a great bunch of guys to marshal with and to learn from
Nice to meet you Mike and put a face to the name, the "flourishes" we're indeed a sight to behold
Old 27 Aug 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3294886)   #23
black merc
Rookie

United Kingdom
manchester
black merc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Great day at island today, hope the 500cc f3 driver is ok, nasty hit, medical crew did a great job as ever. Think the 2nd Derek bell trophy race was the best race I've seen all year. An absolute pleasure and honour to see those cars driven like they did, and Michael Lyons is just incredible! The guy is just what historic racing needs, a young driver that's not affraid to drive the cars as they were intended. Thanks to the Lyons clan (and all the other drivers/owners for that matter) for letting us watch their prized possessions out on track :-)
Couldn't agree more fantastic day
Old 27 Aug 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3294892)   #24
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Bean' Broadbent View Post
What did the Deer Leap jury award you for technical merit and artistic impression?
Old 28 Aug 2013, 06:29 (Ref:3295043)   #25
Steve Milward
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Steve Milward should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee View Post
What did the Deer Leap jury award you for technical merit and artistic impression?
9.4 however Race Control gave a straight 10