Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Dec 2002, 20:53 (Ref:450607)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who is Peter Gregg

And why did he commit suicide?
Old 15 Dec 2002, 22:36 (Ref:450678)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm.. try Atlasf1 nostalgia board and do a search under his name - I recall reding all about his sad demise there. Basically he was a many time IMSA champ who may or may not have lost his ability to drivein a crash, and for various reasons took his own life. Very sad.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 23:05 (Ref:450711)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz - remember back in the seventies one of the iconic racing cars was a white Porsche Carrera with a blue and red bonnet, always carrying #59?

As often as not, that was Peter Gregg.

He ran at least two Le Mans, as well as his career in IMSA. Perhaps better than I can summarise, try his entry in the Motorsports Hall of Fame. http://www.mshf.com/index.htm?/hof/gregg_peter.htm
Old 15 Dec 2002, 23:17 (Ref:450719)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah. Manic Depressive, was he? So was James Hunt from what I undertand. You never do know what's boiling away inside people, do you?

Thank you for that link, Tim. I'm glad to know who he was.
Old 15 Dec 2002, 23:38 (Ref:450735)   #5
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He took privateer Brumos Porche and beat the factories more often than not. He had offers but refused to drive an open wheel car. He ended his life at a time when it appeared he was past his peak. His son is now a professional racer.

Thanks, Tim for the link to the Hall of Fame site. I was at the ceremony in which Gregg (and others) were inducted a year ago, but I'd never seen their site.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 00:59 (Ref:450763)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
His son is now a professional racer.
TransAm driver Simon Gregg: http://www.derhaag.com/gregg.htm
Old 16 Dec 2002, 02:22 (Ref:450776)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Liz - remember back in the seventies one of the iconic racing cars was a white Porsche Carrera with a blue and red bonnet, always carrying #59?

As often as not, that was Peter Gregg.

Hmm, and Simon carries the same number! Well, I'll certainly try to hook up with him next Trans Am race I attend (Mosport probably and I hope this year without any snow!)