Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Feb 2003, 11:08 (Ref:505312)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZ Tourers

It seems to me that NZ Tourers are much closer parity wise than V8 Supercars. Maybe they have the formula right.
With V8 Supercars going to NZ i would the NZ Tourers to come to Aus. I for one would go and watch them and if it was in their current time slot it would fit in nicely with the holiday break for V8 Supercars.
Old 13 Feb 2003, 12:29 (Ref:505358)   #2
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They are almost the same as Future Tourers no need to bring something over that we've already got.
I think they had a good look at the NZ Touring Car racing and thats why they chose to run Super Tourers with Future Tourers here instead of relegating the Super Tourers to club only events

Last edited by mixxer; 13 Feb 2003 at 12:37.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 04:28 (Ref:506098)   #3
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All

Well, I really enjoy the NZ V8 class, it has been great racing all summer, and the championship looks like going down to the wire Even better is that the final round in March is at my local track again

Although, funny how you should mention parity - it seems that there is an issue that has just arisen over here with Ford being allowed to change the block of their engine, and TKR and Holden are not happy about it - see http://www.car.co.nz/race.asp?articleid=4817 for more details.

The technical specs for the class are available on the motorsport NZ website. www.motorsport.org.nz
Old 14 Feb 2003, 06:51 (Ref:506131)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NZ tourers wouldn't even begin to fill the grandstands in their own right, but I guess having them on the PROCAR schedule for one race would be nice for the drivers.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 07:08 (Ref:506143)   #5
pete55
Veteran

Sorry i only meant for one or two races. i think they should run to the future tourers regulations really even if it is only Holden and Ford.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 07:29 (Ref:506160)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
NZ Tourers ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........boring.

V8 Supercars any day!
Old 14 Feb 2003, 08:13 (Ref:506193)   #7
pete55
Veteran

Armco Bender, How do you really tell the difference except for the paint jobs. If you painted them the same not a lot of people would even know the difference. Especially the trendies at the street races like Surfers and Adelaide who it would seem make up the bulk of the crowd.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 09:02 (Ref:506216)   #8
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not much of a car fan but the racing I have seen in this class was well worth watching,I can see why the Holden camp would not be happy with the block change and to do it part way through the season without very good reason is rubbish.

Hi Tracy,I raced at your home track last August using the full 4.2km track, and will probably do another meeting there this year,nice layout but the track surface isn't very good to many bumps.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 09:44 (Ref:506241)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
pete55 the NZ Touring cars look just like V8 supercars only slower.If you have a Supercar meeting here you get a sell out crowd,NZ tourers sheep outnumber spectators.Theres a bit of money around at the moment so they have a few more cars on the grid,but over the years Tourers struggle to run good feilds,some years they have to let in Ladas and Hillman Hunters to fill the grids.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 10:05 (Ref:506253)   #10
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new nz class is here to stay, they even modifying tracks to suit them. The racing is good because the drivers are not quite the standard of the super V8's so there is more passing (and gaurd rubbing). The parity is good but the ford does have about 15 more horses and better weight. I find the racing bloody exciting.
Old 14 Feb 2003, 13:15 (Ref:506456)   #11
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
After watching the last couple of 500k enduros that Optus have replayed I dont mind the racing they provide and for NZ they are probably a very cost efficient class but even for a demo over here I think you'd only get ex-pats going to spectate.
Having said that maybe a Trans Tasman Series with Future Tourers and the NZ Tourers would spark a bit more interest If you can get the enough teams who would be prepared to wear the extra cash needed for the travelling expenses then It might work
Old 14 Feb 2003, 22:08 (Ref:507001)   #12
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

I would have to say the one thing I find odd about the v8 tourer class here in NZ is that they have the 500km enduro race as the first round of the championship, when some of the cars have had no chance for testing. I think it would be much better (and more cars would probably finish) if it was nearer the end - maybe about round four or five out of seven?

There were 33 cars on the grid at Manfeild BTW.

Maybe they don't get much of a crowd at other tracks, but at Manfeild a few weeks ago it was packed - no seating left and the amount of people around the pits was amazing (not sure of what the crowd was though), it was a bit of a shock leaving the timekeeping area and seeing all the people that were there (we can't see the crowd from where we are - just (almost) the whole track )

Warwick - glad you like the track What do you race? I haven't been timekeeping at the track when they have used the long circuit yet. Keep your fingers crossed that the $6.5 million upgrade there goes ahead, as resurfacing the track is part of it I think
Old 15 Feb 2003, 02:10 (Ref:507250)   #13
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Tracy we ran 250 superkarts at the last round of the winter series,probably not so noticeable in a car but it is a very rough track,especially down into splash and on to the start/finish straight.

The facilities need a major upgrade as well,but all of the NI tracks need that and a couple of the SI ones as well.

Jack Racer what tracks are you talking about being modified,I thought Taupo was the only one in for major changes,which shold turn it into a awesome track.

I've only been to the Yellow pages 500 event(mainly for the bikes) and the place was packed.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 05:25 (Ref:507307)   #14
Jack racer
Racer

Taupo has to put a chicane in before the sweeper (Ithink that sucks) because there is not enuff run off and manifeild has to be upgraded pits etc.
Tracy can you tell me when they are going to get the timing fixed properly, must put allot of stain on you guys.
Is very frustating for the teams. Warwick what times do you do on the normal track?
Old 15 Feb 2003, 08:28 (Ref:507367)   #15
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Jack racer - well, the problem a few weeks ago was with the transponders, which Manfield's crew of (volunteer) timekeepers don't operate. People from motorsport NZ came in (well, I think they are from motorsport NZ??), and the system didn't work. Apparently it may have been the software they were using (I am not sure on this though), as when they replaced the loop in the track it made no difference. I hope they get it sorted by the next meeting too.

There was also the problem with the cars running anticlockwise and hugging the wall, which meant we couldn't see the car numbers, (and most of them even have the numbers on the windscreens on the left hand side which we couldn't see). Next meeting is clockwise thank goodness
Old 15 Feb 2003, 09:17 (Ref:507382)   #16
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Best lap from Taupo was 39.1,Nigel who beat me was 38.2 and outright lap record,we don't have times from Manfield as we only ran the full track,and we don't run transponders on club days,but I'd expect to blow the V8 tourers into the weeds.

Manfild certainly needs the upgraded pits in the last 15 years they have only put up a few pit sheds.

Taupo already has the s bends before the sweeper or are you talking about on the planned new track layout.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 12:00 (Ref:507478)   #17
Jack racer
Racer

Yep just after the end of pit wall there will be a chicane.
the taupo people don't want it but the nz V8's say they won't run there with out it. My mate has run his 250 round manield and I believe they are pushing the minute barrier in the supercars. Not Dissing the time keepers it's manz being bloody unprofessional, they should own there own transponders by now, my home kart track even own them. You's did a good job but for those that did get dud times it is hard to swallow.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 12:06 (Ref:507484)   #18
Jack racer
Racer

Buy the way Warwick that is bloody fast I hope to have one of my cars do a sub 40 before the track gets ripped up, you never know might be monday I hope.
Old 15 Feb 2003, 19:50 (Ref:507850)   #19
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Hi All

Jack racer - don't worry, we hated the fact that a few times were screwed up too! Just thinking though, isn't it funny that you'll see the fireys, rescue, grid marshalls, CRO's all wearing gear announcing what they are, but you'll never catch us wearing 'timekeeper' on our gear

If you don't mind me asking, what team/class are you involved with?
Old 16 Feb 2003, 11:28 (Ref:508440)   #20
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen the plans for Taupo and noticed the new chicane before the sweeper of the existing circuit.
http://www.taupocarclub.org.nz/files...plan_large.jpg

If the picture is true to scale, it looks like you could just about straight line it (the chicane), so exacly how much time would this add to a lap time?

Of course only one car at a time will go through the chicane which means no going side by side into the sweeper - is the idea to actually slow cars down, or mainly to prevent people going side by side into that sweeper.

The NZ Touring car rules make sense.... not that much slower than the V8 Supercars, but a whole lot less money.... which is why this story about allowing the more expensive race blocks in the Ford does *not* make sense - that's if it's really the way it's described in the story.
Old 16 Feb 2003, 12:16 (Ref:508475)   #21
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
sheep outnumber spectators.

Nah - Better not make a comment- 5 minutes Murph might be reading. And we dont want any more tantrums do we.

Last edited by The Tool Man; 16 Feb 2003 at 12:17.
Old 17 Feb 2003, 06:25 (Ref:509187)   #22
Jack racer
Racer

Was helping Paul Manuell at manifield. Was Mechanic for Ashley Stichbury last 5 years and I run some of the ff1600.
You's have a hard job up there I wouldn't do it.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 06:51 (Ref:510251)   #23
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Well if the NZ V8s want the chicane they are pillocks,as alfasud pointed it will probably limit the overtaking into the sweeper which is one of the best passing places on the track,why do they want it?

Just don't worry about putting the chicane in,what would they rather do,race at boring old Pukekohe or drive a few hours to a real track,guys I know from Wellsford said they would rather drive to Taupo (with the extension) than race at Pukekohe.

Last edited by Warwick; 18 Feb 2003 at 06:53.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 07:04 (Ref:510255)   #24
Jack racer
Racer

Because the road is so close to the track they can't extend the run off and that is is fastest point on the track. We lost our first and only nose there last year but you are right it sucks and will ruin the best corner in nz.
Old 18 Feb 2003, 08:00 (Ref:510272)   #25
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Ah lack of runoff ok I see their point.

Best corner in NZ? they'd have to resurface it first and even then it wouldn't beat the loop at Teretonga or the decreasing radius at levels.

I'll have it admit its the one of the few corners I struggled with because of the radius change on exit,I found it hard to find a good line in without stuffing up the exit

Last edited by Warwick; 18 Feb 2003 at 08:01.