Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Sep 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2295594)   #1
Jeff Barley
Racer

Jeff Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ali Hussein?

Not sure if I have the spelling correct but Ali ran a camaro in the Ascar series in late 70's I believe.. anyone know if he's still around?
Old 23 Sep 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2296269)   #2
Tim Barry
Racer

United Kingdom
Rainham, Kent, UK
Tim Barry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember him racing as a team with Tony Rosen in a Mustang in special Saloons at Brands in the 70's
Old 23 Sep 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2296297)   #3
scoop
Rookie

scoop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't there a connection from Ali Hussein to Colin Davids, who is still racing (Porsche in Heritage GT this season)?
Maybe Colin prepped the car - I do remember it from the early/mid 70s.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2297048)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He had the Camaro in 1973. I was marshaling at the entrance to the old pits and could see when he spun and parked it gently against the Woodcote sleepers, facing the wrong way. Unfortunately a few laps later a mini hit it head on, very hard.

I don't remember seeing him after that.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2297096)   #5
Jeff Barley
Racer

cheers guys.. if you come across any contact details / email addresses (either direct or indirect) then that really would be appreciated!
Old 6 Oct 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2305339)   #6
k818th2
Rookie

k818th2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Guy's, Hi, this is my first time on 10Tenths, so not so sure how to drive the threads just yet. Anyway my name is Tasgin and I am the younger brother of Ali Hussein who owned and drove the ex Martin Thomas Ovaltine Camaro in the seventies. Also my brother in law Tony Rosen Nash drove a Mustang (ex Martin Birrane (prepared by John Robinson ? out of Lewisham/Bromley) around the same time and prior to this a Fairlane. Both the Camaro and the Mustang were sprayed white with the Rothmans blue and gold stripes and run as a team (with their own company Frox Jeans as sponsorship) before eventually both the Camaro and the Mustang were sprayed black with lime green Stripes and run for a couple of seasons before they were sold on, to whom I am not sure. Ali went on to race a Tiga SC81 (light blue with Sponsorship by Ali's old company The Body Shop - (clothing)) (prepared by Colin Davids) and notched up 3 victories in the Sports 2000 series prior to retiring in the Eighties and Tony went on to race the ex-Martin Birrane/Mick Hill V8 Capri Super Saloon (Initially prepared by Bracey - Price). The Capri was originally Navy Blue when he bought it off Martin Birrane, it was raced a few times before it was further modified and sprayed light blue with dark blue, white and red stripes, before finally being modified further and sprayed black. Tony also had 3 victories in the capri before retiring and selling on the car to some rich person out in Dubai (who then subsequently supposidly raced it out there). I have no idea where any of the cars are today. The late 60's, 70's and early 80's were the best years of Motor Racing for me with many happy memories of touring round various club circuits each and every weekend during the season watching them race. If anybody has any pictures out there I would be extremely grateful as all my memorabilia over the years got completely ruined last year in the floods of July last year.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2305717)   #7
Blazerteam
Rookie

Blazerteam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting story Tasgin.You dont know what type of Fairline Tony Rosen Nash drove?
Old 7 Oct 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2306247)   #8
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
He had the Camaro in 1973. I was marshaling at the entrance to the old pits and could see when he spun and parked it gently against the Woodcote sleepers, facing the wrong way. Unfortunately a few laps later a mini hit it head on, very hard.

I don't remember seeing him after that.

Think you will find that the Mini was Jon Mowatt's that hit the Camaro i was on the pits that day.

Pete
Old 10 Oct 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2308316)   #9
k818th2
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerteam
Interesting story Tasgin.You dont know what type of Fairline Tony Rosen Nash drove?
I think it was a 1964 Ford Fairlane (an ex ASCAR ?) with a huge 7.1 Litre ? Can Am engine in it. I'm not sure where it went to I just remember it ran a couple of races which included one at snetterton in the very early seventies. The car was sprayed white and full of polly filler, didn't handle too well around corners being so long, however, it was extremely quick in a straight line !
Old 10 Oct 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2308318)   #10
k818th2
Rookie

I forgot to mention that after Ali had the Camaro and the Tiga SC81 he went on to race Clubmans series with a Mallock Mk21 and then a Mallock Mk23 (again sprayed in the 'Body Shop' clothing Team Colours of light Blue), it was this car that was prepared by Colin Davids that he won his 3 races plus just being pipped in 1st place having started at the back of the grid in the last race on a rain flooded very dark Silverstone track.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2308472)   #11
Jeff Barley
Racer

Hi Tasgin.. thanks for taking the time to reply to my enquiry about your Brother.. I was interested to see that Ali had the Ex-MT Ovaltine car because that provides a good piece of the jigsaw on that particular camaro.. Can I ask if Ali took delivery of the car straight from MT or if he bought it from someone else?.. and can you remember the paintwork / colours etc when he got it ?.. it would just help complete the picture if you can remember or can check?
do you know what happened to the camaro ?.. Did Ali sell it on / was it badly damaged etc?..
Old 10 Oct 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2308492)   #12
Blazerteam
Rookie

Blazerteam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by k818th2
I think it was a 1964 Ford Fairlane (an ex ASCAR ?) with a huge 7.1 Litre ? Can Am engine in it. I'm not sure where it went to I just remember it ran a couple of races which included one at snetterton in the very early seventies. The car was sprayed white and full of polly filler, didn't handle too well around corners being so long, however, it was extremely quick in a straight line !
I had the feeling it was that car.There havent been many Fairlanes racing in Europe.

That Fairlane was very special.It was a project that Nascar wanted to see if smaller cars could be used i nascar.

Its the only one built i think too.There has been built some more by Holman Moody in the later years.One of them is grey,and are being raced by some one in Germany.

Seen here in a advert form Alan mann in the sixties.This car is very special.You should find out were it went.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2311334)   #13
martin thomas
Rookie

martin thomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not Ovaltine car, but chassis built by us to same spec used in Btcc and sponsorship from Alltryes. Car was blue and white and ex celebrity car from Jack Brabham days , Have photo of car, . Also took from Ali the Ford Fairlane you mention in this thread that belonged to Martin Birrane. This still belongs to me and has been used at a school for engineering lessons. Shotly to have it back,
Old 13 Oct 2008, 15:47 (Ref:2311336)   #14
martin thomas
Rookie

martin thomas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also Alltyres Camaro after Ali ,went on to Clive Baker who unfortunatly cannot remember who it went to other than he put a apace frame in the engine bay!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2312868)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin thomas
Also took from Ali the Ford Fairlane you mention in this thread that belonged to Martin Birrane. This still belongs to me and has been used at a school for engineering lessons. Shotly to have it back,
You say you own the The Holman Moody built Alan Mann experimental NASCAR Fairlane in the above pic?!!!

Blimey, that car has some original historical significance doesn't it!

Alan said he raced it one Boxing Day at Brands (mid 60's?) or something - it was I think the one and only race it did over here, and it won!!
Old 24 Nov 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2340786)   #16
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm fairly sure that Martin Birrane used the car in club racing . It was painted a fairly unappealing orangey-brown colour , and at one time was kept in some lock-up garages-cum-workshops in Penberth Road , Catford A mechanic called Paddy used to work there , and looked after the car for Martin .
Old 7 Feb 2016, 12:17 (Ref:3612761)   #17
Mrs p gosbee
Rookie

Mrs p gosbee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barley View Post
cheers guys.. if you come across any contact details / email addresses (either direct or indirect) then that really would be appreciated!
Hell0 there, yes I am Ali's sister and Tony's sister in law and both are very well thanks
Old 7 Feb 2016, 12:22 (Ref:3612763)   #18
Mrs p gosbee
Rookie

Mrs p gosbee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by k818th2 View Post
Guy's, Hi, this is my first time on 10Tenths, so not so sure how to drive the threads just yet. Anyway my name is Tasgin and I am the younger brother of Ali Hussein who owned and drove the ex Martin Thomas Ovaltine Camaro in the seventies. Also my brother in law Tony Rosen Nash drove a Mustang (ex Martin Birrane (prepared by John Robinson ? out of Lewisham/Bromley) around the same time and prior to this a Fairlane. Both the Camaro and the Mustang were sprayed white with the Rothmans blue and gold stripes and run as a team (with their own company Frox Jeans as sponsorship) before eventually both the Camaro and the Mustang were sprayed black with lime green Stripes and run for a couple of seasons before they were sold on, to whom I am not sure. Ali went on to race a Tiga SC81 (light blue with Sponsorship by Ali's old company The Body Shop - (clothing)) (prepared by Colin Davids) and notched up 3 victories in the Sports 2000 series prior to retiring in the Eighties and Tony went on to race the ex-Martin Birrane/Mick Hill V8 Capri Super Saloon (Initially prepared by Bracey - Price). The Capri was originally Navy Blue when he bought it off Martin Birrane, it was raced a few times before it was further modified and sprayed light blue with dark blue, white and red stripes, before finally being modified further and sprayed black. Tony also had 3 victories in the capri before retiring and selling on the car to some rich person out in Dubai (who then subsequently supposidly raced it out there). I have no idea where any of the cars are today. The late 60's, 70's and early 80's were the best years of Motor Racing for me with many happy memories of touring round various club circuits each and every weekend during the season watching them race. If anybody has any pictures out there I would be extremely grateful as all my memorabilia over the years got completely ruined last year in the floods of July last year.
hello Tutty nice to see you on this site any luck with photos yet x