Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 May 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2460505)   #26
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
Yep, supposedly they will be running private somethings (either their Vectras or some other S2000 car) with private sponsorship.

I don't think Lowndes problem is with the Holden factory team, but with Walkinshaw. If 888 became the Holden factory team, I can't see why that would be a problem, it's a great team, and why go back to FPR who couldn't provide Lowndes with decent cars previously.
Old 11 May 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2460508)   #27
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also a Believer View Post
With Vodaphone only fronting with enough coin for one car next season anything is likely. Although wait for the new adds from Mr Lowndes and his 5 year deal with a once departed tool company. If anything I hear is factual.
Makita????
Old 11 May 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2460514)   #28
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick Johnson has already said that a switch to red has never been off the cards, i think that if 888 go u may see the Jim Beam Racers go too, they are now back at the front after a long absence thanks mainly to the chassis that they have recieved from 888 so it will be very interesting. However i think that from a business point of view Dane ahs too much coin invested in the FG and its deveolpment to cross over to the dark side, he has a winning formula, and like a wise man once said if it aint broke why fix it. 888 will remain a Flying Pig however i would not be the least bit suprised if FORD rethink their $$$ for coming seasons.
Old 12 May 2009, 02:19 (Ref:2460569)   #29
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my read of the Enews email, it states very cleary "could" in the proposed changes.

Slow news week?

I wouldnt expect 888 are going anywhere given their business at present is building and maintaining Fords, not Holdens. If this is providing them with $$$ then where is the incentive to throw it all away to develop a new car??

I'm certainly interested in whatever is happening, but if the series turns more toward one make, then I'll watch lawn bowls.
Old 12 May 2009, 06:21 (Ref:2460614)   #30
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
...But a few hundred thousand profit per car (6 sales say $2 million max), is small changed compared to a 5-10 million dollar branding deal for Holden Racing Team signage to appear on 888 cars and team. + A reduced amount of 2-5 million in Vodafone signage to boot.

Of course, Roland would like to retain all the merchandise $$$, but the Lion would like to take the bulk share, could be a sticking point in the negotiations?
Old 12 May 2009, 08:00 (Ref:2460668)   #31
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
...But a few hundred thousand profit per car (6 sales say $2 million max)
Eh? I thought I read that the cars are about $300k each (no engine), so it would be bloody difficult to extract 'a few hundred thousand profit per car' on each one!
Old 12 May 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2460687)   #32
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Interesting if this happened.. among other things, Mr Lowndes would be back at a factory holden team. I remember him saying he would not likely see himself do that again. He also said to "never say never"

Assuming this has some credibility, and assuming it does happen, is it any guarantee that triple 8 would be successful if they went to a holden chassis?
I think you would find Graig, could drive a Holden, just not the same arragont management that was there before
Old 12 May 2009, 10:30 (Ref:2460766)   #33
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...-39478,00.html

Quote:
Lowndes said he was under the "most pressure of my career".
The biggest name on the V8 grid conceded he was facing an uncertain future, with his multi-million-dollar contract up at the end of the year.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2460782)   #34
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vodafone Holden Racing Team (888/KRE)
#88 - 888 - Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Jamie Whincup - VE Commodore
#888 - 888- Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Craig Lowndes - VE Commodore

i like the look of it but as i said before there needs to be more Fords, 20 Holdens to 10 Fords is a huge gap.
Old 12 May 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2460803)   #35
JustASupporter
Racer

JustASupporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer View Post
#88 - 888 - Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Jamie Whincup - VE Commodore
#888 - 888- Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Craig Lowndes - VE Commodore

i like the look of it but as i said before there needs to be more Fords, 20 Holdens to 10 Fords is a huge gap.
#88 - 888 - Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Garth Tander - VE Commodore
#888 - 888- Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Jamie Whincup - VE Commodore

Who said Lowndes will still be there ?
Old 12 May 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2460893)   #36
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASupporter View Post
#88 - 888 - Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Garth Tander - VE Commodore
#888 - 888- Vodafone/Holden/Nokia - Jamie Whincup - VE Commodore

Who said Lowndes will still be there ?
If they were going to take a HRT driver Will looks a better option then Garth.

PS I don't see it happening anyway.
Old 13 May 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2461353)   #37
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
Eh? I thought I read that the cars are about $300k each (no engine), so it would be bloody difficult to extract 'a few hundred thousand profit per car' on each one!
If Tom's ones are $600k each, then 888 must be selling the data to go with the car separate (for say 500k?) otherwise I can't see how it makes sense to sell rivals equal spec cars with all equivalent quality bits for near cost price. (????)

If the 888 cars are only $300k each with all the info needed to do reasonable lap times then IMHO Brighty would have been better off keeping his small Melbourne team together and running an 888 FG with SBR works engines (must be equivalent to KRE prepared versions of 888 owned ex-SBR engines at least to start with). And he can develop the set-up the way he wants and control his costs, therefore not potentially get into TKR levels of debt with continual fixed-size bills from a car preparer.
Old 13 May 2009, 01:48 (Ref:2461361)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But what do you get for $330k (as priced in the AA article)?

No engine, no gearbox.. do you get the fuel system, and electronics, and engine fitting kit, or are they all extra?

DJR & PCR had to help build the cars at the end of the program, do they get a discount for that, or is the work assumed in the price?

Mr Burgess has said that the damper work in the ex-888 chassis is all DJR handiwork... so I dont know that its as economical as might be suggested....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 15 May 2009, 06:58 (Ref:2462765)   #39
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Roland Dane and 888 risk the change to Holden, with every possiblity of GM going into Chapter 11 in the states?
Old 15 May 2009, 10:24 (Ref:2462850)   #40
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Mr Burgess has said that the damper work in the ex-888 chassis is all DJR handiwork... so I dont know that its as economical as might be suggested....
Is that the handy work of Greg Wheeler?
Old 16 May 2009, 00:18 (Ref:2463198)   #41
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Greg was back there JDI....doing Denyers car in the development series I suspect.
Old 14 Jun 2009, 04:13 (Ref:2482570)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr McKay's story is interesting today Here... basically replicating what is in the opening post of this thread....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jun 2009, 09:29 (Ref:2482769)   #43
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no new news really, slow news week.