Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 May 2012, 18:11 (Ref:3074476)   #1
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Senna/Bottas?

Just read a piece here:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/B...tas,41877.html
It says Senna isn't looking good for 2013 at Williams, with Bottas likely to replace him.
From the way it's explained it seems perfectly plausible, maybe Senna was just a year stopgap while Bottas matures a little more.
What does anyone else think?
Is the website decent, or are they rubbish?
We certainly know that Sir Frank loves the young Finn, could he have his mind made up already?
Old 14 May 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3074487)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If Maldonado proves to be the 'real deal' and Senna doesn't, then who knows what might happen. Senna's abilities will stand or fall on their own merit, regardless of the surname he has.
Old 14 May 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3074570)   #3
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought a Bottas to replace Senna story would have been very obvious, even at the start of the year.

As much as Bruno is a genuinely great guy, I just don't think he has it in him to do what Pastor did on Sunday. I think Bottas absolutely could given the car. Maybe he'll get a chance to later this year.
Old 14 May 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3074593)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this is Senna's big chance and if he doesn't get it this time, that will be it.

Personally I'm not into all this name recognition or nepotism, either they can cut it on their own or they can't. And he really has not shown the signs of being a great. No doubt he can drive an F1, but beyond that, not so sure.

He's a guy that without his family money and connections, plus the name, we would have never heard of him.
Old 14 May 2012, 22:51 (Ref:3074618)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Just read a piece here:
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/B...tas,41877.html
It says Senna isn't looking good for 2013 at Williams, with Bottas likely to replace him.
From the way it's explained it seems perfectly plausible, maybe Senna was just a year stopgap while Bottas matures a little more.
What does anyone else think?
Is the website decent, or are they rubbish?
We certainly know that Sir Frank loves the young Finn, could he have his mind made up already?
Mika Salo started all this rumour. He said that Senna isn't F1 material and Bottas should replace him. He said that he spoke with Sir FW about it. It's all fine, just one big problem:money from sponsors.

Now,

really ??????????
Old 15 May 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3074673)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
To me, it depends on whether Maldonado can prove he isn't just a one hit wonder.

If, IF, Maldonado goes on to score another victory (or two), there's no reason why Williams couldn't net a few handy sponsors who would like to appear on a race-winning car.

IF this does happen, there's a much better chance of seeing someone like Bottas fill in the 2nd seat.

Selby
Old 15 May 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3074704)   #7
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder what the performance triggers are in Senna's contract?
Old 15 May 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3074715)   #8
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I read that rumour. I would prefer to get a little bit more of the season under our belt before we wright off anyone (apart from Massa!).
Old 15 May 2012, 11:42 (Ref:3074759)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a good rumour, as good as any other !
Old 15 May 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3074768)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose it is.

What I find strange is that Senna hasn't had an awful season, has he?

Selby
Old 15 May 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3074840)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

That's Mika Salo playing his part on the rumour to favour his country mates.
Old 15 May 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3074845)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
To me, it depends on whether Maldonado can prove he isn't just a one hit wonder.

If, IF, Maldonado goes on to score another victory (or two), there's no reason why Williams couldn't net a few handy sponsors who would like to appear on a race-winning car.

IF this does happen, there's a much better chance of seeing someone like Bottas fill in the 2nd seat.

Selby
One hit wonder ? If Maldonado goes on to score another victory or two this season, he'll be so red hot that Williams will have little chance of keeping him ! He'll be a prime candidate for Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull... maybe even McLaren !
Old 15 May 2012, 15:22 (Ref:3074853)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
One hit wonder ? If Maldonado goes on to score another victory or two this season, he'll be so red hot that Williams will have little chance of keeping him ! He'll be a prime candidate for Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull... maybe even McLaren !
Wow ! From where are you taking this enthusiasm ? I mean, no doubt it was a flawless performance, but this season is different in many ways, so I can't see just one guy dominating from now on.
Old 15 May 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3074856)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Wow ! From where are you taking this enthusiasm ? I mean, no doubt it was a flawless performance, but this season is different in many ways, so I can't see just one guy dominating from now on.
I agree. I was responding to the point if he won more GPs this year. In other words, in a year when most are finding the challenge of F1 more difficult than ever to master, a three time GP winner so early in his career would certainly be something special... don't you think ?
Old 15 May 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3074862)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I agree. I was responding to the point if he won more GPs this year. In other words, in a year when most are finding the challenge of F1 more difficult than ever to master, a three time GP winner so early in his career would certainly be something special... don't you think ?
Absolutely.
Old 15 May 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3074864)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
If Maldonado proves to be the 'real deal' and Senna doesn't, then who knows what might happen. Senna's abilities will stand or fall on their own merit, regardless of the surname he has.
To be fair to Senna, up until sunday he was leading Maldonado 14 points to 4 and had it not been for Michael, maybe he would have got a point or too?
Old 15 May 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3075013)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
To be fair to Senna, up until sunday he was leading Maldonado 14 points to 4 and had it not been for Michael, maybe he would have got a point or too?
Exactly.
Old 16 May 2012, 06:50 (Ref:3075123)   #18
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True about the points. But still the big picture is Pastor has had the edge it seems. I know "If" doesnt put points on the board, but last lap argument with barrier in Aus. Engine retirement in Malaysia. In Bahrian had a gearbox penalty. So has had his own share of bad luck, some of it his own doing.

Will be interesting to watch through the year but I tend to think momentum has Pastor well ahead of Senna to date. Kind of to be expected given Senna is new to the team
Old 16 May 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3075193)   #19
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco will be interresting, as it's a track on which both Pastor and Bruno have been successful in the past.
Old 16 May 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3075282)   #20
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's also one on which Pastor has a... chequered history, if you'll excuse the pun. Us marshals have a long collective memory.
Old 16 May 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3075344)   #21
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just out of interest does Senna bring anything to the team financially? The general thought is that Maldonado is a "pay driver" through his sponsership and that Senna is an "employed/paid" driver.
Old 16 May 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3075375)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Just out of interest does Senna bring anything to the team financially? The general thought is that Maldonado is a "pay driver" through his sponsership and that Senna is an "employed/paid" driver.
AFAIK Senna brings 4 sponsorships to Williams.

They are :

Embratel

Gillette

MRV Engenharia

OGX

Last edited by Bononi; 16 May 2012 at 17:35. Reason: Edited number of sponsors
Old 17 May 2012, 07:40 (Ref:3075572)   #23
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Senna will have his share of the glory at Williams this year but he has to step up his qualifying permormance to have a good chance at it.
Old 17 May 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3075862)   #24
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
It's also one on which Pastor has a... chequered history, if you'll excuse the pun. Us marshals have a long collective memory.
This is right

Hoping that this poor marshall has fully recovered since then.
Old 18 May 2012, 17:52 (Ref:3076197)   #25
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give Senna the full year before judging him, there is talent there although Spain was an unfortunate blip in what has been a good season so far.
Regardless of the performances Williams may find themselves at the end of 2012 bringing more sponsers to the team thanks to track results. This may allow them to chase a star name which would replace Senna or Maldonado.