Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Mar 2014, 04:58 (Ref:3383199)   #1
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Peter McKay

FAVOURITES NO MORE
It really has been a crushing one year or so for Australian devotees of Ford and Holden.
First came the introduction at the beginning of last year of the new V8 Supercars Car of the Future formula, which opened up the category to brands other than the Lion and the Blue Oval.
After two decades of red versus blue, they were forced to share the glory with newbies Nissan and Erebus-AMG.
Then came the tragic news last year that both will soon shutter their local vehicle manufacturing operations.
And then last Sunday at Albert Park came another bitter pill to swallow when the old brandswere beaten by a bloody Volvo. The newest V8 Supercars manufacturer’s machine was driven by a precociously swift young Kiwi barely off his P-plates, Scott McLaughlan.
The two armies, those in red shirts and blue shirts, are very confused. Already the win by Volvo (in a non-title race) has freshened the debate about fine-tuning the performance of some cars to maintain parity between the five makes in V8 Supercars.
Those who were adamant last year that performance parity between the five brands did not need any meddling are now already suggesting the Volvo is going too quickly too soon.
It’s all a bit premature chaps. Volvo (and Erebus-AMG) are still to win a V8 Supercars championship race. Nowhere is it written that Holden and Ford have a right to rule.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...#ixzz2wplIRzk6
Old 23 Mar 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3383226)   #2
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
So now Peter Mackay is putting words into my mouth. Jeez I don't recall
crushing disapointment. And Erebus & Datto have hardly covered themself with glory.

Some success, yes. But if you were to believe this media hack, you'd think we were all about to slash our wrists.........
Old 29 Jun 2014, 06:29 (Ref:3427701)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And now leaves the building @ Fairfax..

Story Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcKay's Article
TIME FOR A PIT STOP
Forgive me. This will be pathetically indulgent. I may even steal from Peter FitzSimons’ bottomless cache of personal pronouns…
On Sunday April 5, 1998 this column spluttered feebly into life. Blame the then-new sports editor of The Sun-Herald Michael Koslowski. He recognised the global appeal of motor sports, unlike a contrarian queue of his predecessors. Let’s give the column a trial, Kos told me. These were great times. Mick Doohan was en route to bagging his fifth world 500cc title. Jacques Villeneuve went on to win the formula one crown.
V8 Supercars was growing fast, but I could always see limitations, potentially terminal, with a formula based on just two brands. I said as much, often.
V8 Supercars’ chairman Tony Cochrane’s vision splendid included taking the Aussie category to the world. Great in theory, but hopelessly flawed. Every international deal collapsed. V8 Supercars also had a habit of demanding taxpayers’ money to fund its circus. Occasionally, like Townsville and Darwin, it can be justified. But the Sydney street race should never have happened. I wasn’t too unhappy when Cochrane was pushed out by majority owner Archer Capital in 2012.
When legal letters sporadically arrived at Fairfax calling for my head, I was encouraged to “keep it up”. The seven sports editors who followed Koslowski continued the unstinting support. None of my sports editors told me what to write. Or what not to write. Ever. The role of the media is not to be cheerleaders for any sport, but to keep people honest when needed. And deliver praise when warranted.
The sport has given me tough moments too. Losing friends Gregg Hansford, Gary Patterson, Denny Hulme, Possum Bourne and Peter Brock hit particularly hard.
Sad times and grand times, it’s been an honour for me to tap out a column every week for more than 16 years – from the top of Pikes Peak, Monaco, New York, Detroit, exotic Winton, and on two occasions, a hospital bed. Now it’s time to take a break. Thanks for being good sports.

Mr Cochrane might be pleased...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Jun 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3427722)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad to see the Inside Line column disappear, hopefully only for a short time.

I am sure we will see Mr McKay around racetracks around Australia

Peter is one of the good guys who will tell it how he sees it - which is quite refreshing these days when you have so called journalists on the wage list at V8SC pumping out the party line 'stories' to suit.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 23:14 (Ref:3428277)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't we just have someone who sits in between the 2 extremities? THAT would be refreshing.
Old 29 Jun 2014, 23:56 (Ref:3428287)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Couldn't we just have someone who sits in between the 2 extremities? THAT would be refreshing.
agreed.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 01:22 (Ref:3428314)   #7
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Since the departure of Cochrane and a few others in V8s, he has been far more balanced and most recently has even been positive of the current formula and its management.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 04:08 (Ref:3428359)   #8
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter is one of the old school reporters/scribes telling it the way it really was. His newspaper was regarded as conservative in its views(on most things) and Peter had the benefit of actually knowing what he was writing about. A long and distinguished career in motor sport (as it was in earlier days) and automotive journalism as well as being a pretty good driver to boot gave him credibility as against that displayed by numerous hacks today.
Sure, Peter had his pet subjects like we all do however to my mind he was always far more credible and balanced in his scribing even if it did result in him being barred from the v8 sports sedan media circus by 'cockroach'.
I wish Peter well and can't wait until he returns to the sport in one form or the other in the not too distant future-now that could be the start of a great rumour couldn't it !!
Old 30 Jun 2014, 04:23 (Ref:3428365)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Peter is one of the old school reporters/scribes telling it the way it really was. His newspaper was regarded as conservative in its views(on most things) and Peter had the benefit of actually knowing what he was writing about. A long and distinguished career in motor sport (as it was in earlier days) and automotive journalism as well as being a pretty good driver to boot gave him credibility as against that displayed by numerous hacks today.
Sure, Peter had his pet subjects like we all do however to my mind he was always far more credible and balanced in his scribing even if it did result in him being barred from the v8 sports sedan media circus by 'cockroach'.
I wish Peter well and can't wait until he returns to the sport in one form or the other in the not too distant future-now that could be the start of a great rumour couldn't it !!
Nice use of the word cockroach, did you back the 2l side in the 90s also?
McKays vendetta against the v8 series was a sad issue in his articles

Its why we would really like a reporter somewhere in between Phelps and McKay
Old 30 Jun 2014, 05:08 (Ref:3428378)   #10
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Having known Peter personally for over 20 years I'd agree with all of that, except for the bit where he was balanced and credible in his coverage of V8s until recently.

While he leaned to the 2L camp initially, he used his column to further a personal vendetta against Tony Cochrane. The two absolutely despised each other.

Interestingly though, the person that banned McKay from V8 rounds was not Cochrane, but Wayne Cattach - he and McKay were not friendly from back in the DJR days.

For about 3 years there Peter's coverage of the V8s was simply off the rails. There was not a single, positive mention of anything V8 Supercars in his coverage and I commented at the time that, while I did't agree with V8s banning him for reporting factually accurate material, I did understand why they wouldn't bother trying to mend fences given his obvious agenda against them.

But since the ousting of Cochrane and the change in management (and attitude) at V8s what we've seen recently is the type of balanced reporting that he does so well. Great perspective and intelligence and a flair with this writing. At his best, he is one of the very best and I really enjoy his writing and will miss his Sunday column.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 05:10 (Ref:3428381)   #11
old fart
Racer

Australia
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been around the sport for too many years to have favourites or side with any particular party, make, ideology and whatever-just a person who has loved and been involved in the sport since I was a youngster.
I enjoyed the 2ltr racing just as I enjoy supercarts or the various one make series that abound from time to time.
I didn't say Peter was a saint and did allude to the fact that he had his particular pet subjects just like you-that's what makes it fun.
Has anybody else heard the rumour I mentioned ?
Old 30 Jun 2014, 05:27 (Ref:3428388)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Has anybody else heard the rumour I mentioned ?
Is Mr Hitchcock moving onto greener pastures?
Old 30 Jun 2014, 05:33 (Ref:3428395)   #13
old fart
Racer

Australia
Geez, it didn't take long ---and GTR Magic as well!!
Old 1 Jul 2014, 02:25 (Ref:3428828)   #14
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think everyone knew he hated V8SC and would knock them at any opportunity, but then the proof is in the pudding and he turned out to be dead wrong. Until V8SC there wasn't much of a race calendar, professional teams and drivers were few and far between and tech rules were erratic.

Unlike 20 years ago, Australia now has a professional motorsports scene and many thriving championships such GT's, Ute's, the developmental series, Touring Car Masters and many other secondary championships.

While it's possible to poke holes in things V8SC has done over the years, they lifted the game for everyone involved.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3428849)   #15
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think everyone knew he hated V8SC and would knock them at any opportunity, but then the proof is in the pudding and he turned out to be dead wrong.
I'd completely disagree with you. In fact most of the criticisms that McKay had about the series turned out to be correct.
  • It was unsustainable to have a series only open to 2 manufacturers - 100% correct
  • Having a series where most of your biggest events are dependent upon taxpayer funding is a dangerous business model - 100% correct. Imagine how different the series would look if Gold Coast, Townsville and Sydney 500 disappeared. And let's not kid ourselves that scenario came very close to happening this year, and may still occur in 3 years time. Ipswich, Darwin, Symmons Plains also all rely on Govt funding.
  • That the management of the category over the final few years of Cochrane's reign was chaotic and harmful to the category - Given the state of things when he left, I'd say he was correct about this. And while there were dozens of people toward the end that would say this privately, he was the only one to do so publicly.

That doesn't dismiss the overly negative approach he took for many years of course, but the fact he focused on the negative didn't mean he was wrong.

That also doesn't disagree with the remainder of your point - that V8 Supercars has been on balance good for Australian motorsport and has increased professionalism across the board.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 05:16 (Ref:3428858)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mind you its kind of disingenuous to say that Red vs Blue is unsustainable 20 years later...
Old 1 Jul 2014, 06:42 (Ref:3428877)   #17
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think everyone knew he hated V8SC and would knock them at any opportunity, but then the proof is in the pudding and he turned out to be dead wrong. Until V8SC there wasn't much of a race calendar, professional teams and drivers were few and far between and tech rules were erratic.

That is a rather 'interesting' view of Australian motorsport prior to 1997 when V8Supercar was born.

McKay never seemed anti-V8Supercar to me, just anti-Tony Cochrane and the way Mr Cochrane declared war on anyone who didn't share his views on Australian motorsport, and i'd never blame anyone for that.

At the very least all McKay did was balance out the gushing "can't do no wrong" attitude that the News Limited papers continuously heaped on V8Supercars.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3428897)   #18
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Ipswich, Darwin, Symmons Plains also all rely on Govt funding.
Moving off topic here, but realistically why do those sorts of events rely on Government Funding? Only because the circus thinks its bigger than it really is and *thinks* it needs more than it does to provide entertainment.

For example, pit lane garages. Installed at Symmons Plains, yet still absent from Ispwich. Do they still travel to Ipswich?

YES

Was the capital investment at Symmons Plains really needed.

Probably

As Ipswich wasn't the competition for the event it was more like Shanghai, Bahrain, Dubai, Texas and so on that had the $$$$$$$$$ to entice.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3428902)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300 View Post
Moving off topic here, but realistically why do those sorts of events rely on Government Funding? Only because the circus thinks its bigger than it really is and *thinks* it needs more than it does to provide entertainment.

For example, pit lane garages. Installed at Symmons Plains, yet still absent from Ispwich. Do they still travel to Ipswich?

YES

Probably

As Ipswich wasn't the competition for the event it was more like Shanghai, Bahrain, Dubai, Texas and so on that had the $$$$$$$$$ to entice.
Unless I missed something, Ipswich only exists on the calendar as part of a package deal with the Wueensland Governmemt for support at Gold Coast Indy and Townsville.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 10:22 (Ref:3428928)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts300 View Post

YES

Probably

You've conflated two separate issues with Symmons & Ipswich.

V8s dictates all venues have a certain level of infrastructure etc as part of the deal to race there. How circuits fund that is up to them, whether themselves or with Govt help.

The Govt money to V8s is appearance money - same as a concert promoter pays Springsteen, Beyonce or Bieber. They get paid for showing up regardless of the state of the circuit and facilities.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3429229)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other thing I think when declaring V8Supercars "evil" for demanding facilities is... That money doesn't just disappear, it gets spent in the local economy, creating employment, and then those facilities are not locked up for the permanent use of V8Supercars... Everyone can use them.

The Government pays for the AFL club expansions too, and the AFL makes serious coin. Why not motorsport?
Old 2 Jul 2014, 00:19 (Ref:3429236)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
The other thing I think when declaring V8Supercars "evil" for demanding facilities is... That money doesn't just disappear, it gets spent in the local economy, creating employment, and then those facilities are not locked up for the permanent use of V8Supercars... Everyone can use them.

The Government pays for the AFL club expansions too, and the AFL makes serious coin. Why not motorsport?
seems some people enjoy standing in the mud and the rain

part of why the 12 hour race needs to succeed, more people at Bathurst, better economic justification for better facilities
Old 2 Jul 2014, 00:23 (Ref:3429237)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

part of why the 12 hour race needs to succeed, more people at Bathurst, better economic justification for better facilities
It is highly unlikely that the B12 will enjoy 100,000+ fans across the weekend the way the V8SC 100km event does
Old 2 Jul 2014, 03:25 (Ref:3429285)   #24
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post

100% agree. Govt investment in upgrading permanent facilities is entirely justified in principle.

They've chucked hundreds of millions upgrading cricket grounds around the country and other sporting infrastructure.

There's no reason motorsport should miss out on a share of that, particularly when it's linked to multi-purpose uses such as driver training, function facilities etc.
Old 2 Jul 2014, 03:55 (Ref:3429297)   #25
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

Yes, get a production car enduro there too I say.