Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 May 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3637788)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Holden to Renew HRT With WP?

Is it just me, or is this actually the elephant in the room?

There is noise around that Holden may not continue funding WP.. even Mr Noonan suggested as much tonite..

While other noise in the space has the squad courting another manufacturer..

Two drivers off contract, a risk with the Holden backing, few signs of commercial support... its not piling up to a championship contemding squad..

That said theybwill probably win in Perth just to shut down the noise.. but still...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 2 May 2016, 10:59 (Ref:3637797)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
would not surprise me at all.

Only so long the so called No1 Holden team can not be No 1
Old 2 May 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3637981)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
would not surprise me at all.

Only so long the so called No1 Holden team can not be No 1
Very good point.
Old 3 May 2016, 02:41 (Ref:3638012)   #4
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I once said to Mr. Noonan,

Triple Eight-Holden Motorsport?

Would be nice to see Lowndes driving the factory team car again.
Old 3 May 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3638070)   #5
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I said in another thread. Holden own the HRT name, not WP. 888 to acquire a 4th licence at Holden's request perhaps? 2 branded as Red Bull, 2 branded as HRT?

According to the V8 show on Foxtel last week. Holden are apparently still in two minds about continuing any support at all for V8SC.
Old 3 May 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3638102)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
As I said in another thread. Holden own the HRT name, not WP. 888 to acquire a 4th licence at Holden's request perhaps? 2 branded as Red Bull, 2 branded as HRT?
I would have thought Triple 8 were in the business of building their own brands (particularly the new TeamVortex based around Lowndes), why would they want to take on someone else's.

The fanbase moved on from HDT, i'm sure the same would happen with HRT
Old 4 May 2016, 00:02 (Ref:3638286)   #7
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the publicity that Walkinshaws are giving to their increasing involvement with their Porsche GT3 programme it is a sign that they are conceding the end of their time with V8SC.
Old 4 May 2016, 01:43 (Ref:3638308)   #8
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a hell of a lot of resources to walk away from if WP do depart
Old 4 May 2016, 02:33 (Ref:3638316)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
By the publicity that Walkinshaws are giving to their increasing involvement with their Porsche GT3 programme it is a sign that they are conceding the end of their time with V8SC.
Trying to work out how that works

Walkinshaw sell hot commodores, They use that to fund a race team.

They use some of their expertise to provide Porsche to customers on the side.

If they close the race team they no longer have the expertise and in all likelihood they will leave Australia, seeing how he doesn't live here, nor does he race cars thus no longer will they provide Porsche to customers.
Old 4 May 2016, 04:34 (Ref:3638333)   #10
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So I guess it comes down to: do Holden need Walkinshaw more than Walkinshaw need Holden?

I think one five five has a pretty good point about 888 that I'd never really considered, I don't see Roland ever wanting to adopt the HRT moniker for his team, I think his team has enough success and history to not need call itself HRT.
Old 4 May 2016, 05:46 (Ref:3638338)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does the sport need a brand called "HRT"?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 May 2016, 05:52 (Ref:3638341)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Does the sport need a brand called "HRT"?
Reckon i see more red bull merchandise that HRT merchandise now

however there is the HSV tie up, has there been any info on the future of that going forward?
Old 4 May 2016, 06:50 (Ref:3638356)   #13
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Reckon i see more red bull merchandise that HRT merchandise now however there is the HSV tie up, has there been any info on the future of that going forward?
HSV exists in the same vein as the HRT, it is owned by Walkinshaw under a license from Holden. HRT could easily be operated by 888 if it suited Holden to do it - and I am not sure I could see Roland Dane turning it down if it were offered to him - couple of million bucks a year and a bunch of associate sponsors?

HSV could be used as the venue to certify/warrant and sell the OPC cars from Opel (there is prior form for this), and for hot-up solutions to be sold through Holden/HSV dealers for other vehicles (like utes/SUVs). Certainly an organisation with a sizable amount of engineering talent there.
Old 4 May 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3638379)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Holden will struggle to shift brand perception comment

This may or may not be related, but Holden seeking to change their reputation.
Old 4 May 2016, 09:06 (Ref:3638393)   #15
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I would have thought Triple 8 were in the business of building their own brands (particularly the new TeamVortex based around Lowndes), why would they want to take on someone else's.

The fanbase moved on from HDT, i'm sure the same would happen with HRT
Agree about Roland always maintaining he want's 888 to have it's own identity / Brand. Makes it very easy to switch brands, like he has successfully done already.
The 2 main cars to remain 888 Racing brand with the premium sponsor in Red Bull. I'm sure if Holden increased the $$$'s to run 2 more cars under the HRT name, he'd be silly not to look at the marketing potential of it with Lowndes involved?
Old 4 May 2016, 15:58 (Ref:3638485)   #16
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also, with Walkinshaw making a serious wave to GT3, could WP and Holden shake hands at the end of the day and part ways? Leaving Walkinshaw becoming Porsche-Walkinshaw?
Old 4 May 2016, 21:39 (Ref:3638580)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Also, with Walkinshaw making a serious wave to GT3, could WP and Holden shake hands at the end of the day and part ways? Leaving Walkinshaw becoming Porsche-Walkinshaw?
Why would walkinshaw stay in australia if he parts ways with holden? A few porsche being run out of excess capacity in a barely watched category is not going to cause him to stay - 5000 people at rennsport on the weekend. Thats not going to fund a race shop for a guy from england
Old 5 May 2016, 01:14 (Ref:3638631)   #18
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why would walkinshaw stay in australia if he parts ways with holden? A few porsche being run out of excess capacity in a barely watched category is not going to cause him to stay - 5000 people at rennsport on the weekend. Thats not going to fund a race shop for a guy from england

But a category that manufacturers are actually interested in putting money into and not withdrawing from.....
Old 5 May 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3638636)   #19
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVKSS View Post
But a category that manufacturers are actually interested in putting money into and not withdrawing from.....
It doesn't matter, it isn't a category that can sustain the Walkinshaw operation in Australia so its nothing more than a curiosity at this point.
Old 5 May 2016, 05:14 (Ref:3638672)   #20
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We don't know what is being discussed between Walkinshaw and Holden regarding both HSV and HRT for post Commodore reality. If Walkinshaw thought that there was a grim future, and a return to England in the offing, why would they have invested in GT3 the way they have? GT3 won't sustain the operation, so I'm guessing Mr W has irons in the fire that will keep him here.

Of course if the calendar was all April 1st and there was a liberal sprinkling of fairy dust from up high, we might see an announcement about the 2 car Walkinshaw Porsche Panamera V8SC team! Please, no-one take that seriously - I'm off to find my medication .
Old 22 May 2016, 02:39 (Ref:3643547)   #21
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Looks to be another ordinary round for the factory Holden team. Will they have another 'come to Jesus' meeting after this round?
Old 22 May 2016, 03:37 (Ref:3643550)   #22
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tjey just don't have a clue with setup, completely lost.
Old 22 May 2016, 03:56 (Ref:3643551)   #23
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
Tjey just don't have a clue with setup, completely lost.
With the money thrown at the team via drivers salaries and staff, that's a bit scary...
Old 22 May 2016, 04:45 (Ref:3643553)   #24
Stram_man
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Stram_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The writing is on the wall as far as I am concerned. Firstly there is the PR on the Porsche GT3 program with connections back to the factory. Then I read the PR that GT will drive the Audi equivalent to the Porsche. Why would they be doing this if the focus by Walkinshaw Racing is the HRT deal?
Old 22 May 2016, 05:51 (Ref:3643559)   #25
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stram_man View Post
The writing is on the wall as far as I am concerned. Firstly there is the PR on the Porsche GT3 program with connections back to the factory. Then I read the PR that GT will drive the Audi equivalent to the Porsche. Why would they be doing this if the focus by Walkinshaw Racing is the HRT deal?

Garths drive in Aus GT isn't the latest outing for him in the category, it won't be the last either. It's got nothing to do with the team, he's been doing this in his spare time for the last couple of years, same as SVG. He's driven Audis, Astons and McLaren for different teams.

I wouldn't read too much into it.