Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Aug 2017, 06:37 (Ref:3761467)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corner Names for Mount Panorama

The Mt Panorama circuit is probably the most well known race circuit in Australia, but it seems very difficult, if not impossible, to ascertain the correct names for the circuits corners.

This started on another forum and there has been no resolution to date.

I thought I knew the corner names living not that far from Mt Panorama.

Then I Goggled Mount Panorama Circuit and got completely confused.

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=988

It seems from these various maps that its almost like you can pick any name you like for a corner.

Two corners in particular are the immediate question:

The right hander at the top of Mountain Straight is variously called Griffins Bend, Quarry Bend and Tomlin's Bend.

After going through the Cutting the next corner up the hill before Reid Park is variously called Quarry Corner,Griffen's Mount and no name.

After these corners I did not proceed with the rest.

Surely someone must know the correct names.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3761500)   #2
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry, have a look at the Bathurst Regional Council Mt Panorama website (www.mount-panorama.com.au) and read the' The Circuit' page.
It has all the information including historical aspects and from my memory as a local is correct.
I remember attending my first meeting mid 1950's and the names have been constant over the past 50 odd years with the only changes being the addition of Hinxman Vista, Brock's Skyline( instead of just Skyline) and 'The Chase' with the introduction of the Conrod Straight deviation.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 22:03 (Ref:3761600)   #3
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
Terry, have a look at the Bathurst Regional Council Mt Panorama website (www.mount-panorama.com.au) and read the' The Circuit' page.
It has all the information including historical aspects and from my memory as a local is correct.
I remember attending my first meeting mid 1950's and the names have been constant over the past 50 odd years with the only changes being the addition of Hinxman Vista, Brock's Skyline( instead of just Skyline) and 'The Chase' with the introduction of the Conrod Straight deviation.
Thanks Oldfart, greatly appreciated
Old 3 Sep 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3763981)   #4
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
The Mt Panorama circuit is probably the most well known race circuit in Australia, but it seems very difficult, if not impossible, to ascertain the correct names for the circuits corners.

This started on another forum and there has been no resolution to date.

I thought I knew the corner names living not that far from Mt Panorama.

Then I Goggled Mount Panorama Circuit and got completely confused.

https://www.google.c...iw=1920&bih=988

It seems from these various maps that its almost like you can pick any name you like for a corner.

Two corners in particular are the immediate question:

The right hander at the top of Mountain Straight is variously called Griffins Bend, Quarry Bend and Tomlin's Bend.

After going through the Cutting the next corner up the hill before Reid Park is variously called Quarry Corner,Griffen's Mount and no name.

After these corners I did not proceed with the rest.

Surely someone must know the correct names.
Hi Terry,

The names came from day's of old;

Forest elbow- Forest did his elbow in a crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Panorama_Circuit

this link tells all
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:24 (Ref:3769200)   #5
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Seemed a logical spot for it, but slightly off topic.

Just saw this and was an interesting watch for those a little interested in the history.

Takes a little while to get into it

1987 Bathurst 1000 - Adding The Chase