Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Feb 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3804121)   #276
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Good to see Pemex on the FI, takes me back to the Piquet/Brabham days !

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Feb 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3804124)   #277
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
It's snowing in Lloret on the beach at the moment (8.30pm Spainish time) just north of Barcelona!
Old 26 Feb 2018, 20:11 (Ref:3804135)   #278
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't commented since the launch of a number of cars...

Toro Rosso: Like last year I think TR has done a great job with their livery. I think the color combo along with the white/silver bull and lettering looks great.

Haas: I like it well enough. I know they try to include the corporate color pallet in the car livery. It's just unfortunate that the putty grey color is not particular inspiring on an F1 car. Otherwise I think it's fine given the constraints they had to work with.

Force India: I don't hate it, I want to like it, but can't. I know it is driven by sponsor color scheme.

Red Bull: I wish they would change it up. It's generally the same thing they have been doing for years. Not bad at all, but just a bit worn.

McLaren: As I joked earlier... "New and improved with more Orange!". But seriously, I think it looks great.

Overall, I think we are seeing a general improvement with respect to liveries over the past handful of years.

As to testing and specifically testing times. It's hard to not get excited, but... I think the main thing that can be taken from this is if teams are able to get the required laps in without significant issue. Times don't mean much at this point. In short, are they able to run their expected testing program. I think it is promising that TR/Honda seems to be running reliably (which I generally expected).

Richard
Old 26 Feb 2018, 20:30 (Ref:3804138)   #279
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane014 View Post
How come? Alonso's fastest times were achieved on super softs compared to his times on softs.
With different air and track temperatures and a more rubbered in newly laid track surface. You can't apply what makes sense at a standard GP weekend to testing in conditions where it's too cold to stand at the trackside.

Not to mention they're all running through set programs and lap times are meaningless. The important thing is the programs they are running through and the data they are gathering.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 03:55 (Ref:3804184)   #280
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature...ng-opening-day

Really liked this bit.

The Haas looked like a bit of a handful in Romain Grosjean's hands, and he still wants to brake five metres later than everybody else.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 05:24 (Ref:3804188)   #281
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post

The Haas looked like a bit of a handful in Romain Grosjean's hands, and he still wants to brake five metres later than everybody else.

Grosjean's ever present brake problems in a nutshell.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 06:37 (Ref:3804193)   #282
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I see the Williams genii are about where the forum thought they'd be.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3804198)   #283
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Day 2 about to get underway. Current temp's are 3ºC air and 4ºC track.

Perfect!!
Old 27 Feb 2018, 08:06 (Ref:3804199)   #284
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
They should move the second test to Melbourne Australia. Then two weeks later, we race!

Any members from Melbourne think this is a bad idea?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 12:19 (Ref:3804255)   #285
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
They should move the second test to Melbourne Australia. Then two weeks later, we race!

Any members from Melbourne think this is a bad idea?
Boy would that get the NIMBYs going.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3804306)   #286
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Vandoorne second fastest this morning, McLaren-Renault's first full day seems to be going well
Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3804323)   #287
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Kubica faster then Sirotkin and Stroll.

Not that you can read much into testing times of course but still:
Old 27 Feb 2018, 16:33 (Ref:3804340)   #288
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Apparently the teams are proposing to extend the test until Friday and potentially not run tomorrow (Wed) due to snow forecast and very cold track temp.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 16:45 (Ref:3804345)   #289
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Kubica faster then Sirotkin and Stroll.

Not that you can read much into testing times of course but still:
If the track temperatures they enjoyed were anything like comparable that might be relevant..... Track temp was 2.2C when the session started and climbed to double figures at midday. (There was no break today because they knew the best conditions would be early afternoon)When Kubica went out after lunch the sun was shining and track temp was reported at 18C and the two quickest guys got down to 19's.... although track temps fell later in the afternoon back to single figures and the times increased accordingly. The times today were even less meaningful than normal test times.
Hardly apples with apples.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3804349)   #290
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
If the track temperatures they enjoyed were anything like comparable that might be relevant..... Track temp was 2.2C when the session started and climbed to double figures at midday. (There was no break today because they knew the best conditions would be early afternoon)When Kubica went out after lunch the sun was shining and track temp was reported at 18C and the two quickest guys got down to 19's.... although track temps fell later in the afternoon back to single figures and the times increased accordingly. The times today were even less meaningful than normal test times.
Hardly apples with apples.
That's what I meant by "Not that you can read much into testing times of course" there are so many variables we don't know about (fuel load, what they were trying achieve on any given run etc etc etc) that direct comparisons are useless.

Just thought it was amusing that Kubica was the fastest of the 3 - it's a great soundbite.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 17:10 (Ref:3804350)   #291
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Apparently the teams are proposing to extend the test until Friday and potentially not run tomorrow (Wed) due to snow forecast and very cold track temp.
But as usual they can't agree on it so it probably won't happen.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 17:15 (Ref:3804352)   #292
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
But as usual they can't agree on it so it probably won't happen.
They all need to agree for it to happen.... Williams have the circuit booked privately on Friday for promo filming. Ferrari same for Saturday. As you say the 100% agreement required is a (very) long shot.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3804356)   #293
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Vandoorne second fastest this morning, McLaren-Renault's first full day seems to be going well
On the ultrasofts, the Red Bull was just as fast on the mediums(and did almost double the laps)
Old 27 Feb 2018, 20:02 (Ref:3804395)   #294
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
McLaren only managed 37 laps today, not even going out to play in the afternoon after an exhaust pipe clip broke.

They were also the only team to resort to using the pink hypersoft tyre to set their times.

Quote:
Vandoorne did not return to the track due to work required after the exhaust came loose.

"Unfortunately we had a small issue with an exhaust clip, just after lunch, which obviously detached the exhaust and blew a lot of hot air on some of the wiring looms," he said.

"One of those wiring looms was the brake wire as well, so the team took precautionary checks, which obviously meant things took a bit longer than expected."
Old 27 Feb 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3804401)   #295
AdrianM
Racer

They're all correlating wind tunnel data, mapping the cars, checking for installation issues etc etc. Times are utterly irrelevant especially in this weather. What tyres they run are also irrelevant when it's 2 degrees.

At the end of next week they'll all be going three seconds faster than they are now.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 06:38 (Ref:3804464)   #296
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Will there even be any testing today??

I don't think so. Going to need snow chains I think.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3804478)   #297
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
There’s a tweet on beeb sport showing snow falling at the circuit. Better now, just realised we’re there in 5 weeks......
Old 28 Feb 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3804492)   #298
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
These have just arrived in pitlane!

Old 28 Feb 2018, 09:25 (Ref:3804504)   #299
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Catalunya this morning.....

Old 28 Feb 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3804527)   #300
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well this is worse than where I am in Hertfordshire. Such a shame it doesn't look like it's going to be rescheduled due to all the teams not agreeing