Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 31 Aug 2015, 08:42 (Ref:3570187)   #4151
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't forget a car with 8 MJ of energy recovery uses less fuel than one with 4 MJ. So naturally Audi's pitstops should be longer.

The trick is to balance the energy flow rates between diesel and petrol so that you have a level playing field.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3570209)   #4152
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From the regulations 4MJ diesel is more energy efficient than 8MJ petrol (134.8 MJ/lap vs. 138 MJ/lap).

Tank capacity does not tell us much, because we don't know volumetric energy content of the fuels used. We can have an idea of difference if we look at fuel flow restrictions and FTF, from that we can speculate that diesel fuel has a whooping >24% more energy per volume.

If we look at tank capacity petrol has 26.4% bigger tank, but my guess is that energy content is close to equal, it's the only logical explanation.

Only one problem with my guessing, Audi should have 2% more range on a tank compared to Porsche, not the opposite as everyone on this forum is trying to suggest.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 11:04 (Ref:3570212)   #4153
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Not saying it's not anything. Saying it was almost irrelevant. Audi were beaten on track
Irrelevant for the victory, but for second place not. The #8 had overtook the Porsche before pitting. Then it lost its position after the pit stop.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 11:43 (Ref:3570221)   #4154
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
Irrelevant for the victory, but for second place not. The #8 had overtook the Porsche before pitting. Then it lost its position after the pit stop.
Average lap times after each car's last pit stop:
#18 - 1:40.9
#7- 1:41.3
#8- 1:41.4

The Audi's had overtaken the #18 , but it was right on their tale. As the numbers show, the #18 was faster after the last stop.

Also - I didn't say it was irrelevant. I said it was almost irrelevant.

Last edited by Spyderman; 31 Aug 2015 at 11:48.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 11:59 (Ref:3570225)   #4155
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The #8 slowed down to let the #7 through. Pace was close to the #18 before that.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:15 (Ref:3570228)   #4156
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
The #8 slowed down to let the #7 through. Pace was close to the #18 before that.
When? Before last pit stop?
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:30 (Ref:3570233)   #4157
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Looking at outright performance during the entire race - If we look at laps under 1:40 (really fast laps), this is what we find:

#17 did 82 laps under 1:40.0 with an average lap time of 1:39.3
#18 did 57 laps under 1:40.0 with an average lap time of 1:39.4
#7 did 21 laps under 1:40.0 with an average lap time of 1:39.5
#8 did 34 laps under 1:40.0 with an average lap time of 1:39.5

Porsche were not only faster when they were going fast, but were faster more often.

Now - Bring on COTA. Things may be radically different then, but as far as the Nurburgring goes, Porsche had it.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3570237)   #4158
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Laps over 2:00.0 (Yellows or out laps)
#7 did 16 laps over 2:00 min @ average lap time of 3:00.4
#8 did 16 laps over 2:00 min @ average lap time of 3:01.0
#17 did 15 laps over 2:00 min @ average lap time of 3:04.6 (boxed for one lap under FCY)
#18 did 16 laps over 2:00 min @ average lap time of 3:04.1
Old 31 Aug 2015, 14:11 (Ref:3570250)   #4159
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
When? Before last pit stop?

Nope, after the stop. I was trackside, so maybe i'm wrong, but it seemed to be that the gap was reducing between the two.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 14:30 (Ref:3570252)   #4160
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Not what the numbers indicate.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 17:13 (Ref:3570277)   #4161
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Average lap times after each car's last pit stop:
#18 - 1:40.9
#7- 1:41.3
#8- 1:41.4

The Audi's had overtaken the #18 , but it was right on their tale. As the numbers show, the #18 was faster after the last stop.

Also - I didn't say it was irrelevant. I said it was almost irrelevant.
It seems you are relying only on the numbers from the race. Before the last pit stop, the #8 was faster and overtook both the #7 and #18 and increased the gap a little. After the pit stop, the Porsche overtook both Audis . Then when di Grassi was trying to catch the #18 and he wasn't getting closer, he slowed down and let Lotterer overtake him. That's why the gap was bigger. The #8 had a good advantage and would very likely finish in second place.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3570290)   #4162
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know what to think about that, but I have a related question around EoT adjustments over the long haul. If EoT is to be based upon best in class, that means/implies that it is based upon "whoever is currently racing in the series". So lets say Audi leave and someone else shows up with a different diesel solution. But the new solution is not as efficient or as light weight as the current Audi technology. I believe that would mean the EoT would be reset for the new diesel solution. Personally, I don't agree with that in that assuming the fuel specs and other power unit rules remain the same, that things like BSFC and engine weights should use historic "bests" vs. values that can go up and down if manufactures come and go (a bit of a hypothetical at the moment). In my opinion, EoT should gravitate toward some fixed values (that we just don't know what they are currently). Lastly, initially an EoT value is somewhat of a BoP value in that when you first calculate it, you don't really know what starting values to use, so it may have been calculated in a way that works off an existing status quo (balance best of today... hence my BoP comparison), but over time (maybe such as now) it should move away from an initial "educated guess" value and move toward a "empirical" fixed value.

So I guess to your question above... I can say I hope/expect EoT adjustments to be smaller and smaller in the future? Assuming the efficiency and power unit weight improvements are incremental and not revolutionary.
At the moment you're the only person that has answered, so even if you told me to get lost I would be grateful for your response!

The ideal situation would be for successive adjustments to decrease until they reach this "equalized" set of figures (I've said this earlier on), but even in that case there will be bias one way or the other as the regulators are aiming at a moving target. The obviously tight lips of the factories make it that much tougher to make an educated guess beforehand. Given this inevitability I thought it would be interesting to ask how people would prefer to see this handled, then compare/contrast the answers here to the reaction to next year's EoT.

Your point about manufacturers dropping in and out is a good one, that I must admit I didn't think about. I would model a "manufacturer swap" as an extreme extension to the in-season development that is so difficult to account for. If the ACO-FIA could not do some preliminary analysis to accommodate for the new factory then I would say that they have to race with the EoT set by the outgoing factory, then the next EoT will reflect what the current manufacturer can do. This demonstrates why it would really be a boon for there to be 2+ entrants in each fuel type.

I think the ACO-FIA decided to apply EoT post-Le Mans to mitigate the "best guess" scenario you describe, as well as to ensure that they will definitely get the true figures from the cars. The problem then is that the adjustments are always made after the fact which is at the very least bemusing (and at most, utterly incomprehensible!) to everyone outside of the process. I like the idea of moving towards "empirical" values, but I can see a whole host of arguments about how to get there, again taking place behind closed doors.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3570297)   #4163
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Perhaps the technologies are equalised and all we are seeing is Audi and Porsche developing their cars so that they are, at different stages of the season or races, better than the other.

No, don't be silly.
Old 31 Aug 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3570340)   #4164
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Maybe, but imo giving a (fuel) break to anyone is a reversal from the aco's intention of having teams use less fuel and rely more on hybrid.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 05:22 (Ref:3570406)   #4165
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
It seems you are relying only on the numbers from the race. Before the last pit stop, the #8 was faster and overtook both the #7 and #18 and increased the gap a little. After the pit stop, the Porsche overtook both Audis . Then when di Grassi was trying to catch the #18 and he wasn't getting closer, he slowed down and let Lotterer overtake him. That's why the gap was bigger. The #8 had a good advantage and would very likely finish in second place.
No - Those are the average lap times after the last pit stop
Old 1 Sep 2015, 05:30 (Ref:3570408)   #4166
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Another interesting fact - These are the average lap times for laps over 2:00 , but that were not "out-laps".(Yellows)

#7 - 3:00.4
#8 - 2:56.5
#17 - 3:11.5
#18 - 3:02.3
Old 1 Sep 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3570418)   #4167
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
No - Those are the average lap times after the last pit stop
But those averages include laps where Di Grrassi slowed on purpose to let the #7 through. Not really informative.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3570422)   #4168
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Look at the data yourself. Analyze them and draw your conclusions.

I'll just post this:

The first 10 laps after the last pit stop, #8 was doing average lap times of 1:40.5. The #18 was doing 1:40.2.
The next 10 laps (so 11 to 21 laps after the last pit stop) the #8 was doing an average of 1:40.7. The # 18 was doing 1:40.6
For the remaining laps the #8 did 1:43.7 (#7 had overtaken it by then) and #18 was doing 1:41.8

Last edited by Spyderman; 1 Sep 2015 at 07:51.
Old 1 Sep 2015, 08:16 (Ref:3570429)   #4169
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Maybe, but imo giving a (fuel) break to anyone is a reversal from the aco's intention of having teams use less fuel and rely more on hybrid.
Who is being given a "fuel break" ? Diesel ?

It should once again be reminded that the diesel fuel allocation is computed from the petrol fuel allocation based on the FTF and KTF. If these factors are reduced following a re-balancing of the two "best-in-class" fuel technologies - like in the recent EoT adjustments - diesel will necessarily get a comparatively more favorable fuel allocation than before. This is entirely consistent with the ACO-FIA's intention as embodied in the rules.

As a matter of fact, don't forget that the rules inherently penalize diesel which is by essence more efficient than petrol. From this perspective, it is the petrol guys that actually get quite a reasonable "fuel break" under the rules, namely something of the order of 6 to 8 MJ/lap depending on the ERS option.

So, who is actually being given a "fuel break" ?

Not that I disagree with this fact (it's the only way to balance the two fuel technologies).
Old 1 Sep 2015, 11:06 (Ref:3570459)   #4170
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Look at the data yourself. Analyze them and draw your conclusions.

I'll just post this:

The first 10 laps after the last pit stop, #8 was doing average lap times of 1:40.5. The #18 was doing 1:40.2.
The next 10 laps (so 11 to 21 laps after the last pit stop) the #8 was doing an average of 1:40.7. The # 18 was doing 1:40.6
For the remaining laps the #8 did 1:43.7 (#7 had overtaken it by then) and #18 was doing 1:41.8
Closer to what i thought
Old 1 Sep 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3570621)   #4171
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Another interesting fact - These are the average lap times for laps over 2:00 , but that were not "out-laps".(Yellows)

#7 - 3:00.4
#8 - 2:56.5
#17 - 3:11.5
#18 - 3:02.3
That depends on how many partial laps were under yellow and counted towards that average and where the cars were at the beginning and end. Gaps is the best ways compare to potential gain.
Old 2 Sep 2015, 03:00 (Ref:3570658)   #4172
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Who is being given a "fuel break" ? Diesel ?

It should once again be reminded that the diesel fuel allocation is computed from the petrol fuel allocation based on the FTF and KTF. If these factors are reduced following a re-balancing of the two "best-in-class" fuel technologies - like in the recent EoT adjustments - diesel will necessarily get a comparatively more favorable fuel allocation than before. This is entirely consistent with the ACO-FIA's intention as embodied in the rules.

As a matter of fact, don't forget that the rules inherently penalize diesel which is by essence more efficient than petrol. From this perspective, it is the petrol guys that actually get quite a reasonable "fuel break" under the rules, namely something of the order of 6 to 8 MJ/lap depending on the ERS option.

So, who is actually being given a "fuel break" ?

Not that I disagree with this fact (it's the only way to balance the two fuel technologies).
Come on, youre being too literal. Audi received a break (diesel) from the previous eot scale. Of course they have to run less fuel (flow and total) because its better in energy and efficiency.

The argument about them being slower despite the adjustment is weak imo. They ran the LM package at arguably the highest downforce track on the schedule. I think what they did was tried to keep with Porsche in top speed. We'll see what happens the rest of this season. My opinion is the hybrid makes the difference. Audi's Diesel has huge torque, but its not matching the Porsche's huge battery power.

Last edited by TF110; 2 Sep 2015 at 03:10.
Old 2 Sep 2015, 05:13 (Ref:3570673)   #4173
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That depends on how many partial laps were under yellow and counted towards that average and where the cars were at the beginning and end. Gaps is the best ways compare to potential gain.
No doubt, but the fact remains that Audi had a faster average when the race was not under "normal" racing conditions. In other words: It is irrefutable that they made up time when the race was under those conditions. The causes of this phenomenon can be discussed. The numbers: not so much.
Old 2 Sep 2015, 07:11 (Ref:3570676)   #4174
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It looks like it is the case, but it isn't irrefutable until you allow for what I said or look at the gaps.
Old 3 Sep 2015, 10:37 (Ref:3570998)   #4175
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
https://translate.google.com/transla...2017&edit-text=