Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 May 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2883916)   #1
alolympic
Rookie

alolympic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Different sized wheels and Gearing question

Hi Guys,
Got a question which should have a pretty simple answer but I just can't be sure myself.

Let's presume that a car has a wheel and tyre combo with a different rolling circumference front to rear e.g. larger at rear than front.

If so, which wheels will determine the gearing?
Does it depend on which wheels are driven?

Reason is, I am looking to downsize my front wheels but not sure if this will effect the gearing on my RWD car.
Anyone help?
Old 22 May 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2884039)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The driven wheels determine the gearing.
I hope you haven't got ABS !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 May 2011, 19:04 (Ref:2884044)   #3
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alolympic View Post
Reason is, I am looking to downsize my front wheels but not sure if this will effect the gearing on my RWD car.
Anyone help?
Apart from the gearing and Gordon's observation about ABS there are a few other issues that might come up especially if you are talking about a road car and a significant change in wheel size.
Old 22 May 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2884049)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I wasn't going to go into all the other things like caster angle on a Sunday Grant
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 May 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2884053)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I wasn't going to go into all the other things like caster angle the day after a big party.
EFA.

Quite right.

I was thinking more along the lines of simple things like ground clearance, brake sizes and the potential for totally screwing the handling. Of course it is possible that they won't matter much for the intended purpose. But if gearing is an issue for some reason is is just possible that other things might be as well.
Old 22 May 2011, 20:22 (Ref:2884082)   #6
alolympic
Rookie

Cool, thanks Guys, glad to get an answer.
No, there is no ABS, the car is a kit car from 1962.
No real original spec to upset, the wheel change is being driven from testing and trial and error.
Brakes will clear, I am only thinking of going from a 16" wheel to a 15". I will try and keep the rolling circumference within 5% of the rears anyway.
Thanks guys
Old 22 May 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2884096)   #7
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alolympic View Post
Cool, thanks Guys, glad to get an answer.
No, there is no ABS, the car is a kit car from 1962.
No real original spec to upset, the wheel change is being driven from testing and trial and error.
Brakes will clear, I am only thinking of going from a 16" wheel to a 15". I will try and keep the rolling circumference within 5% of the rears anyway.
Thanks guys
Is this a Rochdale Olympic by any chance?

I seem to recall that there are a couple of people around here who may have useful experience.
Old 22 May 2011, 21:56 (Ref:2884131)   #8
alolympic
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Is this a Rochdale Olympic by any chance?

I seem to recall that there are a couple of people around here who may have useful experience.
Yep, although, in reality, it is a Rochdale Olympic body, not much original left.
Just looking to lighten the steering and reduce unsprung weight on the front.