Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 May 2003, 21:38 (Ref:612942)   #1
sumo
Rookie

sumo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 how too improve it

I am a marshal at silverstone, and whilst on post this weekend at the F3/GT meeting the topic of conversation inevitably got round to F1 . As well as the general opinion that it is boring , the question was asked how can it be improved so to speak . The most popular view was that either (1) bring back turbos , full areodynamics and big fat slicks (2) as above but with ground effects not turbos and (3) all the above and limit pitstops to 1 per race and that for either tyres or fuel only. I look foreward to read other ideas from you all.
Old 28 May 2003, 21:46 (Ref:612945)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome sumo enjoy your stay here

On topic then... Above all the sport mustn't be diluted in the way your second suggestion would. F1 has simply evolved into what it is as a result of the many kneejerk changes that came about following Senna's death. What they have done this year is attempt to artificially undo 9 years worth of mistakes and that's not really going to solve anything in the long run. F1 this year has been fantastic, be we'll have to wait and see how long these surface changes have an affect.
Old 28 May 2003, 23:07 (Ref:612998)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Damon, you speak the truth!

"F1 has simply evolved into what it is as a result of the many kneejerk changes that came about following Senna's death"

Like a true poet...
Old 29 May 2003, 06:34 (Ref:613145)   #4
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need to alter the machines back to purer machines, yet slower.

FIRST, Variable race circuit styles: It's boring watching effectively the same thing every other weekend to the untrained and even the trained eye. Each race circuit and event in itself needs to present something truly unique, and give formula 1 an "First of all styles" Appeal, meaning that it is the premier overall world racing formula.
Here are the variables F1 can easily be raced under with minor modifications to the cars.
Courses: 'Circuit, Street, Freeway, Oval'
Races: 'Standard distance, Endurance time, Multiple Sprints'
Time: 'Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night'

Now personally, I'd be very very interested to see these things oval race once a year maybe. Hell, could you imagine the F1 cars lining up at the indy 500 once again? Even a Nascar sized oval. What is more it'd break into the american market a bit easier, and push cars that usually dominate to maybe not be as suited to certain tracks.

This is the absolute key to varied racing, making the circuits produce variation. With cars becoming more and more focused, this is needed more than ever but what's happening is all tracks becoming similar.

SECOND: SLICKS. But THIN slicks. I mean about 2/3 the current width, with larger rims and lower profiles. They look better and force the suspension to take more of a role rather than tyre sidewalls.

THIRD: Ceramic/Steel brakes. Carbon brakes are near useless on road cars, the F1 application is too far removed. So bring back ceramics/steel which force the makers to improve their knoledge of the technology being used on the road.
The fact it could increase the drivers need to be judicious with the brakes is beside the point.

Next, introduce a base 'shoulder level' height, that is about 80-110mm (not too much, it'd wreck the sleek lines of the cars they've developed) above current. With better vision the drivers might be able to see their opponents a bit better, see opportunities a bit better and rely on their primary sense more rather than knowledge of the track.

For me, I'd like this done next: Reduce engine capacity back to 2.5 litres under 'costly high tech' rules, and 2.9 under a 'medium tech' set, and then 3.3 'low/cheap tech' set.
Differances such as valve counts(6/5/4), spark counts(2/1/1), engine materials(fibre reinforced/titanium/steel), cylinder maximum (10 for high, 8 for medium, 6 for low) etc. This gives teams options and character. Each year, there's a meeting where teams get together and the FIA tweaks the variations to give a little more parity for the year after. (Based on 2002 results and discussions, 2004 regs are made).

If they were dead serious, ban traction control but it's hard to police. Instead, introduce a rule that the accelerator pedal directly controls the engine butterfly. That'll &^%$ em.

PS: Thinner tyres and bigger rims make the car look wider. ^_^

Last edited by golem; 29 May 2003 at 06:37.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 29 May 2003, 06:59 (Ref:613160)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wider cars would make the cars look wider... (dreams of 97')
Old 29 May 2003, 07:46 (Ref:613197)   #6
golem
Veteran

Yeah, and make for less overtaking space on any given corner.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 29 May 2003, 08:06 (Ref:613209)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt 20cm is going to make any difference.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:56 (Ref:613348)   #8
golem
Veteran

I dunno, they can use everything they can get to help. =/ I still think the FIA encouraging very differant races over the season would be a positive first step.
Old 29 May 2003, 11:08 (Ref:613364)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
#Get rid of those ridiculous tyres they have these days.
#Bring back wide track cars.
#Loosen the engine rules and allow V8's and V12's. Or, indeed, V6 turbo's.
#Re-modify tracks to bring back corners such as Tamburello.
#Assassinate Schuey.
#Get rid of all those damn driver aids.
I could go on........
Old 29 May 2003, 12:00 (Ref:613427)   #10
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Track sprinkler systems on random timers with veriable intensities.
Old 29 May 2003, 12:03 (Ref:613430)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with all of Knowsely's suggestions, except the bit about Schuey and I'd add:
-Cutting down downforce SUBSTANTIALLY, so that the cars can actually follow each other closely enough to overtake.
-Ban refuelling - it's PANTS, PANTS and more PANTS. Would still have different compounds of tyre, though, so that there could be battles between those on softs, that are quicker but force a stop, and those on hards (who don't).
-I don't think it'd hurt to cut spending either but noone seems able to agree on how to do this!
Old 29 May 2003, 12:17 (Ref:613459)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wider cars, slicks, get Goodyear back for Williams, limit wings both front and year to one element only, but remove some restrictions on the shape and size of said wings. Minimum height regulation that the driver's helmet must protrude from the car (that'll give less of an advantage to midgets) ban traction and launch control, open up engine configurations (flat 12s, V8s, etc).

More exciting/challenging/dangerous circuits, I cannot stress this enough!!!

Ban refueling, make them pass on the track. But yes, tire changes and different tire compounds.

1 point for Friday pole.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 29 May 2003 at 12:19.
Old 29 May 2003, 12:43 (Ref:613531)   #13
TTT

Personally I will always watch F1 whatever the rules are, and even though it can be very predictable, I still find it worth watching, probably because I am an enthusiast. However thats not too say I am beyond suggesting wholesale reform of the sport! In order to provide a genuine spectacle of racing between highly skilled and qualified drivers all factors other than sport have to be reduced in importance, the basic ingredient of these factors is money, whether that money is in the form of funds brought to a team by a driver in order to secure a drive or funds spent by a manufacturer in order to achieve marketing objectives, it has to stop or a separate "Manufacturers" championship needs to be set up, leaving us with the drivers championship as a genuine contest where the only real performance variable is the driver, not car, not tyres, not engine and not aero. Yes, that means we will know who the best driver in the championship is because he will win it. Entry would be available to anyone who can lap within 0.4 seconds of the best time at a pre season test. Everyone would use Minardis!

Old 29 May 2003, 14:02 (Ref:613661)   #14
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impoving F1 ?????
I've spent time mulling that question over !!!

Drivers aids gone.
One Tire company.
I like what CART has done. Standard parts for everyone BUT that takes away what F1 is about. Being on the edge of technology.
Design new and update old circuits to be more friendly for passing.

Anything that will help overtaking.
Old 29 May 2003, 14:44 (Ref:613696)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Budget limits, wider cars, slicks (come back Goodyear!), no TC & LC, more engine type variations (V8's, 1.5 Litre V6 Turbo's, etc.), standard ECU's, bring back Spa and for the love of god get rid of the Gilles Villeneuve/Tamburello chicanes!
Old 29 May 2003, 21:18 (Ref:614105)   #16
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good Question!

The FIA should change the rules to specify:

1-Fully manual shift w/clutch, sequential pattern OK, but NO paddles

2-Nose wing must NOT be separate from the nose bodywork, NO suspended wings

3-No Drive-By-Wire, only hard, mechanical throttle linkage

4-No Winglets on the sidepods

5-Size the fuel cells for about 1/2 race distance (based on worst track) and start the race with a full tank

6-Limit the pit stop service crew to 8 to 10 people

7-Steel brake discs

8-Metal valve springs, NO pneumatic valve springs

9-Non-Grooved Tires that must not be changed before 1/2 race distance unless there is a puncture or flat spotting from a skid or there is debris on course from an accident

10-High octane fuel as available to the general public

11-Single plane nose and tail wings, any cross section

12-Maximum of 6 forward speeds for the transmission
Old 30 May 2003, 04:48 (Ref:614340)   #17
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Put TGF in a Minardi
Old 30 May 2003, 06:30 (Ref:614374)   #18
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off to Minardi Trust for TGF, use champcar chassis rules- naturally with every team going there way within them- Challenge the INDY 500 again. Any engine rule within the 3.0 litres, i like the raise the shoulder hieght idea, Shift via a non paddle system and a cable actuated throttle plate on the throttlebody. slicks, lower profile larger wheels-Refuel if you must, but the time in the pits should be less important for a race win, so the wings must be a tad different to allow on track passing. maybe fender the wheel as in a Lotus 7 front and back so these guys can bump each other more (lol-kidding)