Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2017, 17:23 (Ref:3780593)   #2451
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
...but how would it affect strategies?
in the most amazing way ever!

imagine if teams could implement their own strategies based the unique characteristics of their cars applied to each unique track they visit!

actually thats too crazy...i take it back!
Old 15 Nov 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3780638)   #2452
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Ross Brawn shocked by response to engine proposal.

http://www.f1reader.com/news/brawn-s...roposal-185653

Is Ross naïve?
How would he expect the existing manufacturers to respond to rules that make it easier to attack their profitable oligopoly?

“The current engine is an incredible piece of engineering, but it is not a great racing engine.” Brawn

“ a little bit shocked a the response we’ve had” as Liberty’s proposal was heavily criticism by Mercedes and Renault with Ferrari even going as far as to threaten to quit the sport over it with some fearing it is a done deal. F1 Reader
Old 15 Nov 2017, 22:29 (Ref:3780648)   #2453
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Ross Brawn shocked by response to engine proposal.

http://www.f1reader.com/news/brawn-s...roposal-185653

Is Ross naïve?
How would he expect the existing manufacturers to respond to rules that make it easier to attack their profitable oligopoly?
I suspect there is a healthy bit of feigned surprise in his response.

"Oh, my... you don't like our idea? Sorry to have upset you. What is your solution? Note, it still must meets the goals we outlined. We are all ears!"

Richard
Old 16 Nov 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3780772)   #2454
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sometimes needs must, and that's what I see Ross saying there
Old 16 Nov 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3780789)   #2455
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Well, as RB is now 'poacher turned gamekeeper', he knows how the game is played..
Old 17 Nov 2017, 04:36 (Ref:3780881)   #2456
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I had not seen this before, absolute engine and electronic parity, but would be very happy if it is a rule, no brainer really!

"The other is that for an independent team such as Red Bull is really encouraging is that they want to ensure as a customer you get absolute parity, not just on product but on electronics as well, so electrical settings will have to be homologated. So the FIA will have to say ‘like for like they’ll have to be the same as on a works car’." Christian Horner MS Magazine.
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/op...ly-motor-sport

Great Rule!
Old 17 Nov 2017, 05:02 (Ref:3780886)   #2457
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thinking aloud (and incredibly theoretically) about the big picture here, but i think f1's cost control ideas are dependant on there being a healthy set of alternative series that are equally restricted.

the problem with having series where a manufacturer with a lot of cash and relevant resources can go and start an arms race is just that - it only takes one manufacturer throwing money and r&d effort at it to set the bar for everyone else. see: audi in lmp1, mercedes in f1, renault/nissan in formula e. if the rules across the board, including rally, limit the ability of money and resources to make a difference then in theory you should see less of the 'eggs in one basket' approach, and more diversity. *in theory*.

equally you also want a range of rule sets to create a bit of diversity and allow manufacturers to choose according to their commercial and r&d priorities. i think that's an advantage of combining f1 and formula e as a strategy - formula e is full electric whereas f1 is about developing technologies to make the traditional petrol engine produce more power and in a roundabout way be more efficient.

ideally you want to present suppliers with similar opportunities. tyre technology, fuel technology, battery and energy storage... as much as f1 wants to stand alone and be what it is, in the interests of sustainability for the entire sport it needs to be a part of a coherant strategy by the fia and relevant bodies to serve the needs of manufacturers and suppliers rather than itself.

...next time in utopia
Old 19 Nov 2017, 00:52 (Ref:3781413)   #2458
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Ferrari in favour of the 3 engine rule for 2018.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...r-year-979708/

All other teams are willing to keep the engines at 4 per year for 2018. But not Ferrari.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:36 (Ref:3781460)   #2459
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well, this is going to get difficult now probably
Old 19 Nov 2017, 13:32 (Ref:3781486)   #2460
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's actually pretty easy, get rid of Ferrari.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3781488)   #2461
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
It's actually pretty easy, get rid of Ferrari.
Or even easier, get rid of F1
Old 19 Nov 2017, 13:44 (Ref:3781489)   #2462
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F1 is more than just Ferrari, quit being dramatic.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 14:53 (Ref:3781492)   #2463
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
F1 is more than just Ferrari, quit being dramatic.
I don't think there is anything being overdramatic here.
Both Ferrari and F1 have been a massive part of each other's history. So much so, that neither organisation knows how they would fare without each other.

Would F1 be willing to see Ferrari leave?
Can Ferrari stomach walking away into the unknown?
The people at the top of both don't want to be the one to force the issue and see their own fate suffer as a result.
At the moment, it would take a failure of either organisation to see them part. And it looks more likely that an alternative to F1 might emerge one day, unless F1 makes the right rule changes and becomes that alternative to what it is today.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3781496)   #2464
ASCII Man
Veteran

A manufacturer shouldn't be considered so important to F1, so much that said manufacturer uses/abuses this sense of self importance to keep bullying the sport into doing what it wants to do. I don't think its right to continue such an abusive relationship, and both should cut ties as soon as possible.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3781505)   #2465
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A manufacturer shouldn't be considered so important to F1, so much that said manufacturer uses/abuses this sense of self importance to keep bullying the sport into doing what it wants to do. I don't think its right to continue such an abusive relationship, and both should cut ties as soon as possible.
I think manipulative might be more appropriate than abusive. Though having said that, have Ferrari actually benefited from any of this posturing? The last time a Ferrari driver won the WDC was 10 years ago and the last time they won the WCC was 9 years a go. Since then, despite having hired Alonso and now Vettel, they are still playing second fiddle.

Maybe Ferrari should be looking at themselves, rather than trying to manipulate F1 for their own ends because so far, it hasn't worked.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3781687)   #2466
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once upon a time Ferrari sold road cars to finance the racing team, but that was the past Ferrari no longer needs F1 to sell cars, maybe electric supercars to replace gt3 in the near future so how relevant is F1 to a non-sentimental
forward looking Ferrari.
Old 20 Nov 2017, 17:38 (Ref:3781743)   #2467
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
on one hand, i am very curious to see how F1 could reinvent itself in a post Ferrari era.

on the other hand, if Ferrari leave and take the tifosi global audience with them, then i suspect my local broadcaster will end up canceling/not renewing their local broadcast rights due to a massive decline in audience numbers.

winning and losing at the same time...my life as an F1 fan!
Old 21 Nov 2017, 01:36 (Ref:3781867)   #2468
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
Once upon a time Ferrari sold road cars to finance the racing team, but that was the past Ferrari no longer needs F1 to sell cars, maybe electric supercars to replace gt3 in the near future so how relevant is F1 to a non-sentimental
forward looking Ferrari.

If we take the possibility that Ferrari could walk away from F1 for any number of reasons, why is it logical to impoverish the sport in the mean time to try and keep Ferrari on board.
Make decisions for the good of the sport and all the entrants, Ferrari can decide whether to stay or go, making the rest of the entrants sponsor Ferrari and Mercedes is just plain wrong.
Keep your audience with good racing, and keep your entrants with fair revenue distribution, the sport will go from strength to strength with or without Ferrari.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3782240)   #2469
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liberty could give the manufacturers a choice;

1 Either we keep the current engines, but:
– At much lower cost to the customer teams
– Engines are picked by the FIA from a random pool of engines
– Mapping must be equal
– Each manufacturers is forced to (be able to) supply all teams minus the numbers of other engine supplies (so currently that would be 7). Preference is based on last years championship standing. This is to avoid teams like Red Bull or McLaren to be stuck without a competitive engine.

2 Or, a rule set based upon what Liberty has suggested, enabling independent engine suppliers to successfully enter F1.

They can than choose which of the two they want, but it both case their stranglehold on the grid will be largely gone.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 22:40 (Ref:3782283)   #2470
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
2 Or, a rule set based upon what Liberty has suggested, enabling independent engine suppliers to successfully enter F1.
I would expand the last part just a bit. I think it also goes beyond independent suppliers. Other manufactures who might be interested watch the bloodbath from the sidelines. How secret sauce solutions rule and all who come face a long uphill climb to success (if they ever are able to climb to the top). Why would they want to spend a lot of money to potentially be the next Honda?

A less complex, less costly solution might being in other manufactures.

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3782376)   #2471
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I would expand the last part just a bit. I think it also goes beyond independent suppliers. Other manufactures who might be interested watch the bloodbath from the sidelines. How secret sauce solutions rule and all who come face a long uphill climb to success (if they ever are able to climb to the top). Why would they want to spend a lot of money to potentially be the next Honda?

A less complex, less costly solution might being in other manufactures.

Richard

You're quite right. A move away from the current engines could indeed attract more manufacturers.

I've thought about it a bit more and concluded that below would quite work well. Someone being stuck last year with a bad engine (like McLaren) would not have a way out of that situation in the below proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
– Each manufacturers is forced to (be able to) supply all teams minus the numbers of other engine supplies (so currently that would be 7). Preference is based on last years championship standing. This is to avoid teams like Red Bull or McLaren to be stuck without a competitive engine.

So I would change it to:

– Each manufacturers is forced to (be able to) supply all teams minus the numbers of other engine supplies (so currently that would be 7). A team can pay more than the limit to get a better performing engine (which the manufacturer is obliged to supply), however everything above the much lower maximum engine fee won't go straight to the supplying manufacturer. Part of it would and part would go to either general revenue (and thus be distributed as usual) or directly be divided among teams or manufacturers.

Consequences:
- Manufactures can't keep good teams (Red Bull, McLaren from getting good engines)
- There is a lower limit to how much is feasible to spend on engine development
- Teams with weak financial health can get a cheap engine.
- If the money paid above the max engine cost is (partly) redistributed among manufacturers new manufacturers or ones lagging behind are persuaded to join/stay and be successful.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 21:40 (Ref:3782496)   #2472
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Seriously what's wrong with A being the hardest to G being the softest.

For any given weekend the tyre info graphic would be something like

Click image for larger version

Name:	tyres.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	50734
Old 23 Nov 2017, 22:39 (Ref:3782505)   #2473
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Well said.

Speaking of rule changes, as Lewis correctly pointed out - this is the last race weekend where the cars are aesthetically pleasing (for the time being).

I'm sure the designers and regs will eventually mould the cars back into being pleasant on the eye, but until then, one last weekend where we can see the driver's helmets unimpeded!
Old 23 Nov 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3782523)   #2474
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Attachment 50734
I think part of this is down to what is perceived as the general public's view of what sounds quick.

Hard tyres sound boring. Soft sounds quick.
So having more than 50% of the tyres being 'quick' makes F1 cars faster.
Old 23 Nov 2017, 23:20 (Ref:3782525)   #2475
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

Attachment 50734
Does F1 really need all those tyre compounds? IndyCar uses two and the racing is better.