Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 May 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1300247)   #1
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Oh dear some people do et rather uppity dont they.
All I am saying is that in the main class the only people seemingly able to compete are Irish, the likes of Evans, McKluskey, Carnegie, Gibson and also maybe Holfeld Nesbitt and McHale. Onl reall Gollop and Doran in with a sou of winning from UK.
Whatever you think of m posts on here you have to agree the Irish seem more interested in investing in top notch cars than the English. So why not cut the costs for those guys, but then again they don seem to fussed about cost anyway!
Maybe you could set up an Irish Rallycross SS!!
Ill step in here again as regards Irish Rallycross Super Series.

We looked at running a championship, financilly viable and we had a strong list of drivers however there are no more rallycross dates allocated. Carlow and Kildare clubs both apply for more events than they get however this year they got 6 between them, and 4 allocated for other championships.

As regards pricing of cars, in another thread there was some comment made about factory super 16 cars being 60k Sterling which is true, however these are proven cars which have been developed to the fullest, would you rather buy a Super 1600 class winning car for €25,000 off Peugeot Sport or Citroen Sport or would you rather spend an overwhelming £90,000 pounds on building an amature built team car ?

I think Michael's Audi TT is the best example of how things should be done! A number of reasons!

Basically michael has a very competitive car that in relitive terms must be one of the most efficent use of Modern Technology around. Instead of going out and building a Normally Aspirated Engine and tuning the nuts off it and not getting very much BHP out of it not to mention putting a bomb under your bank manager, he has gone for a Turbo Based engine.

Easy Powergain + cost effective build = a formula for sucsess

Who needs touring car based nissan engines in their modified cars to be fast, just stick a Lancer Evo engine or some form of turbocharged standard production engine in and there ya go your on the pace!

We have been able to drastically cut costs with our Polo because its A Diesel so you dont need any form of rocket fuel! (altho we do use a hybrid commercial diesel) and there is no major costs in tuning the engine we litterally can go to the most powerfull Audi/volkswagen diesel engine rob the turbo from it and there we go. atm were looking at getting between 250-320 bhp and 500-650 Ftlb torque.

The irish rallycross and rallying scene always seemed to me to have a higher profile than the british, when push comes to shove the irish will stick with it and come out on top.

Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

Ireland at the moment is very away of its motorsport and Motorsport Heritage, altho not entirely recgonised for any perticular form of motorsport (with the exeption of our vast selection of Rally Machinery), the gov has seen what a lucrative market motorsport is and have committed to try get WRC in ireland! Unlike the UK where it just seems that its going mad with WRC with speeding fines, penaltys and stuff.

We now return you to our normal ramblings.

Thats all i have to say

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 13 May 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1300249)   #2
golfvanman
Racer

golfvanman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bring on diesel power !!!! we were from day one and are still now looking at making the TT an oil burner. We built the TT to be different with the turbocharged motor ,how interesting would it be if it was run on diesel?????????? we could save a fortune on the fuel costs for a days rallycross ........ at least £1.50
Old 13 May 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1300250)   #3
Stevie A
Racer

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Stevie A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote rxie: “320bhp…..and 650 lbf/ft”

That is serious grunt. The bhp figure’s not that spectacular but the torque is off the scale. That’s about 900 Nm. Compare that to Kenny Hansen’s 750 Nm Citroen and Pat Doran’s 870 Nm (640 lbf/ft) old RS200. I bet the diesel will produce that at about 2500 rpm as well!

Good luck in getting that down through the front wheels…...... I think you’ll become Mr Avon/Kumho’s top customer.
Old 13 May 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1300252)   #4
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie A
Quote rxie: “320bhp…..and 650 lbf/ft”

That is serious grunt. The bhp figure’s not that spectacular but the torque is off the scale. That’s about 900 Nm. Compare that to Kenny Hansen’s 750 Nm Citroen and Pat Doran’s 870 Nm (640 lbf/ft) old RS200. I bet the diesel will produce that at about 2500 rpm as well!

Good luck in getting that down through the front wheels…...... I think you’ll become Mr Avon/Kumho’s top customer.
hehe thats the problem, we seem to get 4 shafts out of 2

@golfvanman: perhaps we could swop notes

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 13 May 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1300253)   #5
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know some one who was or still is plannng an evo engined modified, says its a bi*ch to install as its so big
Old 13 May 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1300254)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting idea Michael, arent Seat thinking of doing this in Touring Cars, probl using a similar motor to what ou might use.
And I think BMW used a diesel in a 320i tourer at the Nordschliefe a few years back.
Of course we all remember Neil Simpson getting a 4th overall on the Manx a few eras back.
What is the situation regardin scrutineering with diesels by the way?
Oh and don't forget also that i the rather daft world of offshore power boat racing diesels are the favoured motor of choice!
Old 13 May 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1300255)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans last year had a diesel engined prototype and of course a diesel powered VW Golf won the Spa 24hrs a few years back.
Old 13 May 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1300407)   #8
golfvanman
Racer

look at the VW cup circuit racing championship and there is a number of diesel powered car including a VW CADDY VAN.......yes thats right i did say van. Power wise 250bhp+ is not a problem but i think 500 ftlbs torque is a little optimistic
Old 14 May 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1300565)   #9
bigted
Veteran

Could you use red to make it even more cost effective?
Old 14 May 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1300593)   #10
B Friendly
Racer

United Kingdom
East Yorkshire
B Friendly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or even you could use used vegetable oil to make it even more cost effective, and make it smell nicer too! Mmmmmmm........Chips!
Old 14 May 2005, 10:05 (Ref:1300609)   #11
bigted
Veteran

chips and gravy,

Northern boys Love Gravy!!
Old 14 May 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1300624)   #12
golfvanman
Racer

red sounds good to me keep the cost down even further, just remember we race on private circuits so red it is .

But a good point well presented about cooking oil and the smell how about cooking oil with a little castrol R mixed in , everybody loves the smell of castrol R in a 2 stroke !!!
Old 14 May 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1300713)   #13
bigted
Veteran

after reading the regs, did they ever make a TT with a semi auto box? with all that torque youll be using the 'box an awfull lot
Old 15 May 2005, 00:39 (Ref:1301026)   #14
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Acctually the most effective diesel to use is GlobalDiesel by grenergy

Homlogation is not a problem at all, there are no specific scriteneering regs for diesels in rallycross atm.

Diesel Engines Produce more torque and can produce more power than petrol engines. Unlike petrol engines you dont have to worry about your bottom end flying apart as the majority of diesels only rev to 5500rpm (some like my cordoba will refuse to go past 5000rpm).

Old 15 May 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1301278)   #15
golfvanman
Racer

not a semi auto box but they do make one with a paddle shift system, one of the few which actually works
Old 15 May 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1301458)   #16
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
its not bad dont like the delay on it :S

could be worse it could be a merc box which takes a couple of years to change after youve touched the button

Old 15 May 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1301790)   #17
bigted
Veteran

That wouldnt be your new sponsor would it rxie
Old 16 May 2005, 00:15 (Ref:1301849)   #18
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Were not disclosing our sponsors / partners at this time as there is no firm agreement set out.

But we will be using global diesel.