Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2250938)   #1
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
F1 2008 Round 10 - German Grand Prix, Hockenheimring 18th-20th July 2008

The 2008 German Grand Prix is the tenth race of the 2008 Formula One season. It is to be held on 18 July–20 July
at the Hockenheimring circuit in Germany. It will be the 55th German Grand Prix which has been an event in a world
championship.

The German Grand Prix will return after a year absence from the calendar. From 2007 to 2010, the Grand Prix in
Germany will alternate between the Hockenheimring and the Nürburgring. However officials at the AVD, the automobile
club who organises GP race at the Hockenheimring, own the rights for the name, 'German Grand Prix'. Therefore the
2007 race at the Nürburgring was known as the 2007 European Grand Prix.

McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and the Ferrari pair of Kimi Räikkönen and Felipe Massa all head into the German Grand
Prix tied on 48 points in the Drivers' Championship, with Hamilton ahead of Massa and Massa ahead of the 2007
World Champion on countback. BMW's Robert Kubica is a further 2 points back.

Scuderia Ferrari lead the Constructors' Championship by 14 points from BMW Sauber, with McLaren-Mercedes a further
10 points behind. Toyota lead Red Bull-Renault by 1 point for 4th place, although 47 points behind McLaren.

The 2007 European Grand Prix, the last Formula One race in Germany, was won by Fernando Alonso of McLaren-Mercedes.
The last German Grand Prix, held in 2006 was won by German seven-times World Champion Michael Schumacher. Two
former Hockenheim winners are in the field this year, with 2005 winner and 2005 World Champion Fernando Alonso
racing for Renault and the winner of 2000's chaotic race, Rubens Barrichello, in a Honda.

World Champion Kimi Räikkönen has never won the German Grand Prix or the European Grand Prix in Germany. His
only finish at Hockenheim was a 3rd place in 2006 for McLaren.
SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA

Drivers standings AFTER the British GP
 DriverTeamNationalityPoints
Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-Mercedes

Constructors standings
 TeamPoints
Ferrari

German GP: Recent Results

Year1st place2nd place3rd place
2007Not Held 
2006 Michael SchumacherFelipe MassaKimi Räikkönen
2005 Fernando AlonsoJuan Pablo MontoyaJenson Button
 DriverLaptime
2006 fastest lapMichael Schumacher1.16.357
2006 pole positionKimi Räikkönen1.14.070
Lap recordKimi Räikkönen1.13.780(2004)

Weather Links

7day Forecast: www.weatherbug.com
Satelite Images: www.sat24.com
Rainfall Radar: www.meteox.com (zoom out to see a bit better)

German Grand Prix Time Table (local)
DAYLOCAL TimeUK Time
Fri 18th July 2008   
Friday Practice 110:00-11:3009:00-10:30
Friday Practice214:00-15:3013:00:14:30

Sat 19th July 2008  
Saturday Practice11:00-12:0010:00-11:00
Qualifying14:0013:00

Sun 20th July 2008  
Race14:0013:00

German Grand Prix LIVE Chat

Please don't forget to join us in the ten-tenths chat room for live coverage of the Grand Prix!

You can log-in through the web here, and if it boots you out half way through for no apparent reason
you can log straight back in again. If you can change the "Racer" nickname to your tenths name that
will be helpfull also.

Or, if you have an IRC client, or know what the means, you can log-in through that at irc.phishy.net,
port 6667 and the channel is #motorsport

Other Links

Live Timing
Race Schedule (and other f1 news)
F1 Predictions Competition

And that is pretty much all from me! Enjoy the race!!
Old 15 Jul 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2250952)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nice job Cougar.

Now it just needs to be 'stickied'. *awaits mod*
Old 15 Jul 2008, 01:39 (Ref:2250962)   #3
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A close championship battle at the moment then. Good to see Hamilton get back in the thick of it.

Kubica is still somehow well up there on points.

The characteristics of the next few tracks may suit the BMW more than recent ones I suppose, with less high speed corners.

Last edited by Born Racer; 15 Jul 2008 at 01:42.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2251000)   #4
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Hockenheim circuit provides dome excellent overtaking chances but is never as good as the old, classic Hockenheim.

Looking forward to this one. Should be a good race.

Not looking forward to Hungary.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2251129)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, something to talk about - it's been a bit quiet in here since the last race

I loathe Hockenheim as it is now...I hope it rains. That might make it bearable.

But in any case, I'm looking forward to the second half of the season - it couldn't be much closer right now, so we're in for what could potentially be a very exciting finish. Last time out I wanted Hamilton to win to keep the championship interesting, this time I'd like to see Heikki up there - I think he's overdue a win. I'm not brave enough to make that my entry in the predictions competition though.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Jul 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2251159)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
According to Cougar's weather link, light showers are likely throughout the weekend, so that should avoid a boring race.

I would also love to see Heikki get a decent result. Vettel might come good on home territory.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2251296)   #7
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Definitely one of the less interesting circuits. I mean, Tilke gets a bit of stick but his unpopular completely new creations like Sepang or Shanghai are better than this straight-hairpin-straight concoction.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 23:52 (Ref:2251650)   #8
mclaren2007
Rookie

mclaren2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does provide good overtaking, however.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2252302)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good job, Cougar ! Thanks.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 00:39 (Ref:2252305)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Welcome to the forum mclaren2007. This is true, so it may provide a very entertaining race, but it'd be nice to combine this with a better circuit. Circuits like Spa have a mix of corners- there are a few key passsing points, but more importantly for the driving challenge/enjoyment, there is a good flow and some fast, rolling corners.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 02:24 (Ref:2252340)   #11
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some intermittent showers would be great, not enough rain to force the change to wet weather tires but enough to get the brave to stay on drys and some to test the inters for some stability and security. Mix it up a little and see who goes for a little more downforce banking on wet and who stays brave.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 02:50 (Ref:2252348)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Something like that race that Rubens got his first win would be nice !
Old 17 Jul 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2252928)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Would we want the race result hinging on the actions of a revenge seeking former employee of one of the main contenders, though? I still have to give that guy credit...his timing was just perfect to achieve what he wanted to achieve. He clearly must have a genuine interest in motorsport.

Anyway, a bit of rain would certainly be welcome (isn't it always?). Nice and variable conditions is ideal.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 23:08 (Ref:2253009)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Whenever there's a track invader, Rubens is your man to bring it home first.

After a lull in the number of wet races for a little while, we've had a good few recently.
Quote:
Nice and variable conditions is ideal.
Indeed. Changeable track conditions can make for fascinating viewing, if tricky to keep up with everyone's lap times.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2253163)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
P1 underway..........and it's wet!
Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2253164)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

We need an emoticon of this guy on the left with the cloud still there, but a smile on his face.

I'm hearing German commentary on the tannoy now, but before I heard English a few times.

And now I've just heard what sounded like a Ferrari mechanic telling off one of the F1 cameramen for getting too close, and Coulthard discussing babies with Neel Jani.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2253166)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Noticed that the old circuit is now a car park!
Old 18 Jul 2008, 09:19 (Ref:2253191)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Kubica has just spun and hit the barrier. Out of the car.

There's a notice from race control saying 'as agreed cars may carry out practice starts on the start-finish straight after P1'.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2253217)   #19
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those people not lucky enough to have TV coverage you can follow live streaming of practice, qualifying and the race on this link - its in Spanish but nevermind. Practice 2 comes up at 10 pm Australian time (for us Aussies)

http://www.justin.tv/deportestv
Old 18 Jul 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2253236)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks Steve. Is there commentary? If so, I'll watch that given that I'm studying Spanish.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2253241)   #21
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes there is BR Im sure on the quality however
Old 18 Jul 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2253247)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I watched ITV's live stream earlier for the first time this season and I thought it was very good, considering all the complaints I've read about it on here. Maybe the novelty has just worn off and there aren't so many people trying to access it anymore, but the picture and sound were fine. It's amazing what I can do at work when my boss is on holiday.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 18 Jul 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2253296)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Yeah, it's usually worked fine for me. I guess it must depend a lot on people's internet connection. For the French GP, I had problems with the sound; there was some weird noise throughout, but the image was fine.

It is baffling that they don't show Saturday morning practice though. Anyone know why? This is one I particularly want to watch, because of the relevance to qualifying.

Last edited by Born Racer; 18 Jul 2008 at 12:37.
Old 18 Jul 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2253299)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I'm currently sitting here with two computer screens in front of me, one with the live timing and Ten Tenths, and one with the action.

I've constructed my own prat perch
Old 18 Jul 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2253334)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

That Spanish link isn't working for me.