Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 28 Mar 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3050086)   #26
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I recall Top Gear doing a special in Dubai or somewhere in that area, and asking the locals what they preferred - Nissan Patrol every time, apparently. But that was for dune-bashing, and falconry.

They probably liked a blinged Hummer for town posing.
Hummer is now a dead brand for civilian purposes, last one rolled off the production line 2 years ago.

I'd love to have a Nissan Patrol here in the USA, but that isn't happening. I have looked at them in Europe for the purpose of doing a trip to Far East Russia and Mongolia. Everyone I have talked to about them has a lot of good things to say.

Over here in the USA, one client I work for imported some Land Cruisers for off road training use which had originally been sold in Dubai. For one thing with Toyota SUVs for some reason the cockpit is squashed. Every one I get in my head is squashed against the roof(I'm not tall, but not short either). I also find these Toyota SUVs seem to desire to rollover and do(compared to other similar vehicles) and don't seem that rugged as they did back 20 years ago. And not just the Land Cruisers but 4 Runners as well.

The toughest off roader I have been in I call "The Monster". It's a fully armored Ford Excursion with a twin turbo diesel and a Baja style 2-3 foot lift and suspension. Complete with gun racks and a machine gun turret. You can fly over bumps and little ditches like nothing and even on a paved road, you do a swerve to avoid exercise with it and it just sticks with little weight transfer. You could drive over small sedans if you wanted to. It's a little slow off the line but once the turbos kick in, it goes. I'm guessing the purchase price was probably around $250,000.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3050087)   #27
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Pick Up Trucks!

Raptor:
The Raptor is cool. I'm not really into pick up trucks but if I had to have one it would be the Raptor.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3050122)   #28
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
IMHO the only way to be really, really manly in a 4x4 is in one of these......

It a genuine V12 Lamborghini folks!!
You can de-man any machine:
Old 28 Mar 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3050152)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And I think that one is a V8. I may try to get some pics of the blinged trucks out here this weekend.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3050200)   #30
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The H2 had the 6L Vortec and was essentially a 3/4 ton pick up underneath.
Old 28 Mar 2012, 21:03 (Ref:3050201)   #31
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The Raptor is cool. I'm not really into pick up trucks but if I had to have one it would be the Raptor.
I like 'em both, but prefer the wagon myself. I guess it depends on where you live as to how much of each truck's potential you can use. The wagon would be much more useful around here.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3050306)   #32
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm guessing the purchase price was probably around $250,000.
That is sustantially less than what TGF paid for a new G wagon about 8 or 9 years ago. (it had the Merc V12 in it)
Old 29 Mar 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3050323)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The V12 G-Class is back http://www.autocar.co.uk/www.autocar...llCars/261982/

A G65AMG
Old 29 Mar 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3050609)   #34
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
But be honest Adam.... is that not one of the most goddamned ugly things to inslut 4 wheels?

But here's a couple that no one has mentioned yet. I've seen them being raced on the telly and you have to invent some new level of lunacy to get behind the wheel of one of these and give them a stick!

Attached Thumbnails
Bowler Nemesis.jpg   Bowler Wildcat.jpg  
Old 29 Mar 2012, 20:31 (Ref:3050611)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
But be honest Adam.... is that not one of the most goddamned ugly things to inslut 4 wheels?
Bloody good off road though. No need for anything other than the diesel though.

I made someone scream when going down a steep hill in a quarry in Germany in one of those. He didn't sound too manly then
Old 29 Mar 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3050628)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

But here's a couple that no one has mentioned yet. I've seen them being raced on the telly and you have to invent some new level of lunacy to get behind the wheel of one of these and give them a stick!

I'd love to have a Bowler Wildcat or Nemesis. It's just one of those things I have to own someday.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3050671)   #37
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's got to be the Toyota Land Cruiser I'm afraid - but the 80 series, like mine! They really are indestructible - the 'King of the Road'.

As someone has already said earlier, you can drive into the outback in any of them, but if you want to drive back out again, you choose the Land Cruiser.

Seriously - if I had to cross a desert/jungle/mountain/icepack/warzone, and my life might depend on the vehicle making it, I would not even consider anything other than a Land Cruiser. Others (i.e. the Landy) might match it for off-road capability, but nothing else can match its combination of ability and reliability and indestructability!

You've only got to look at the vehicle of choice for those people who do drive into areas where your life may depend on your vehicle - NATO, WHO, Red Cross, etc. They use mostly Land Cruisers or Nissan Patrols, and even when they do take something like a Land Rover or Jeep, it's usually accompanied by a Land Cruiser or Patrol for when it breaks down!

Sorry guys - I've got nothing against Land Rovers and Jeeps (I actually quite like them, and have owned both), but you simply cannot rely on them the same way you can on the Jap stuff. Top gear used Toyotas to drive to the North Pole, and as far as I'm aware, they're still the only vehicles to have ever made that trip successfully. 'Nuff said!
Old 30 Mar 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3050691)   #38
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...529+&viewitem=

I'd probably buy it if I didn't have other stuff going on right now.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3050725)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
I like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...529+&viewitem=

I'd probably buy it if I didn't have other stuff going on right now.
I've always wanted a really early Range Rover. The perfect antidote to the current Range Rover Sport.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3050978)   #40
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
No question here:

Not really sure what this thread is about, but I like it.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3050991)   #41
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No question here:

Not really sure what this thread is about, but I like it.
I know something that can eat that for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!

Old 31 Mar 2012, 06:36 (Ref:3051115)   #42
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
But if I is small as a mouse he won't catch me.

Or is this a bit girlie?
Old 31 Mar 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3051308)   #43
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I give you this BEAST, as seen destroying various things on TG a while ago, how small does it make a Hummer look LOL!

THE MARAUDER

Old 31 Mar 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3051343)   #44
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
As this was originally part of dtype38's thread how about this? It's everything he could want, 4X4 and a Jaguar. Stolen from the JEC Facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails
560611_355582741144461_105468299489241_950421_947599842_n.jpg  
Old 31 Mar 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3051361)   #45
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some people really do just have too much time on their hands...
Old 31 Mar 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3051374)   #46
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
This was originally about what a middle age man could be seen out in without attracting too much ridicule. So far we've agreed that a Maruader, a Bowler, a proper Landrover, or a monster truck while it's crushing something are all fine, but a pink soft top Jeep is a definite no-no!
Old 1 Apr 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3051692)   #47
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!

Still think this would be the answer - no "re-enactment" connotations, but universally (get it? Universal Jeep), acceptable as a real man's car.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3051696)   #48
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
That's still not a real Jeep, it's a continuation M38 which came out in 1950. OMG I think I've turned into John Ruston.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3051733)   #49
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
That's still not a real Jeep, it's a continuation M38 which came out in 1950. OMG I think I've turned into John Ruston.

That shows how much I know about off-roaders. Twas the only reasonable image I could find of one in civvy cloours.