Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Dec 2002, 11:48 (Ref:455410)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fog lights

What is the deal with all the w*****s driving around with their fog lights on all the time.

Last night coming home from Sydney i was passed by at least 20 cars with their fog lights on. They also find it neccesary to drive around in the daylight with them on. I have started to hit them with my highbeam to annoy them ( i have 130wt globes in my h/b) .
they are worse when it is wet, as the glare they produce is dangerous.

The problem is that i know that the commodore and now the xr6 lights come on when the parking lights are on, so they can be left on all the time. Most of the people who seem to leave them on are the "lapper" w*****s with there hats on backwards and the stereo on full playing ****.

It is an offence in NSW with a $105 fine. One of the blokes at work has an SS commodore and drives around with his on all the time. Even though his sister and mother have both been fined for having them on in the daytime.

So i will continue with my highbeam crusade to annoy the duckheads who leave them on all the time.

Last edited by woodyracing; 22 Dec 2002 at 16:06.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:02 (Ref:455515)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
We have the same problem in the UK. It's illegal to use them when visibilty is more than 100 metres, but that doesn't deter them - I think most of them think we'll be impressed that they are driving an upmarket car...

Like you, I give them main beam - I've only got a total of 230W, but it's quite effective!

Oh, & by the way, my car has front fog lights - I use them about once a year!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 22 Dec 2002 at 15:05.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:11 (Ref:455517)   #3
Edgar Jessop
Rookie

Edgar Jessop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get you guys. I thought driving round with the foglights was a major contribution to road safety. It shows you the car coming towards you is driven by a w*nker!

Likewise the latest UK fad for little blue identity lights which it seems has replaced last years fluorescent illumination of the rusty floorpan [or was that etherial light shining through the rusty ...]
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:28 (Ref:455522)   #4
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You know what annoys me here in the UK?

Those prats that drive around with the front spotlights on in urban areas.. grrrrr....
Old 22 Dec 2002, 15:49 (Ref:455532)   #5
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont like them headlights which twinkle blue, u know which ones i mean ? sometimes its looks like a police car is flashing you but it turns out to be an Audi or BMW with extra intensity bulbs,, bah.
Old 22 Dec 2002, 22:46 (Ref:455760)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
-and when it is foggy it's probably the same drivers who tailgate or drive at over the limit with no lights on!!
I therefore conclude that there are many cars out there with the fog light switches wired backwards!!
Old 23 Dec 2002, 10:23 (Ref:456018)   #7
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certain cars appear to have front foglamps that come on when you start the engine. They have no "off" switch. I am thinking particularly of the Citroen Saxo VTR.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 17:09 (Ref:456250)   #8
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, the fog light bit.

The big wing on a trunk of an economy car bit.

The booming bass stereo of the newspaper boy at 4 am bit.

To this I say we should lock everyone up until they are 29 bit.
Old 25 Dec 2002, 21:18 (Ref:457333)   #9
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The things the other drivers do that really annoy me are:

Driving using the parking lights in poor visibility, the only reason I can think is that they believe that parking lights are dipped headlights. I believe this is an offence in the UK.

Not using or misuse of indicators on roundabouts. I drive a truck and getting 44 tonnes and 15+ metres of truck onto a roundabout is difficult enough, without trying to workout where some of these people are going. I just pull out in front of them now.

Going to fast on roundabouts, see above.

Not turning the rear fog lights out when I am behind them at night, dazzling or what.

People who jump into my braking gap on a slip round when I am coming off a motorway. Just when you get it all organised to pull up nice and gently some nicks half your braking distance. Ever tried to pull 44 tonnes up in a hurry, doesn’t stop like a bemmer, merc, etc.

People who sit on the motorway until the last moment and then try and get into the queue on the slip road causing me to jump on the brakes and steer round them.

Actually I sometimes enjoy it as I’m normally ready for them and I have loads of lights and excellent Air Horns on my truck and love an excuse to use them.
Old 27 Dec 2002, 10:48 (Ref:458053)   #10
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah fog lights...those guys with Hyundai Accents with their rear fog lights on all the time too.

I know my front fogs come on with the parking lights and the rear with full headlights. But, I also know the fronts work really well IN fog (driving up to Bathurst this year, for instance).
Old 27 Dec 2002, 11:18 (Ref:458077)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sick of guys flashing their high beams because I got my fog lights on - you never know when the fog of darkness could descend on you.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 06:37 (Ref:458688)   #12
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I belive that here in Victoria it's an offence to have Yellow Fog Lights on when it's not foggy but not an offence to have white fog lights on (most cars have white fogs fitted). It is however an offence to have driving lights on without High Beam and of course not dipping them within 200m of oncoming traffic but how many coppers can pick a Fog light from a driving light or have the time to pull people up to book them.
Old 28 Dec 2002, 10:56 (Ref:458791)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm still in the dark over here.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 23:57 (Ref:460566)   #14
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Continue to flash em mtpanorama. They're just a bunch of try hards trying to keep up with the Jones's. Sort of people who have a hugh credit card debt I suspect.
Old 20 Jan 2003, 01:06 (Ref:479582)   #15
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have to admit to driving with the foglights on in my mums car but thats because they come on with the normal lights. However they don't come on with the automatic lights, which are really annoying and only come on in high beam, usually when the sun disappears behind a cloud or you pull up in a petrol station! It means i can't drive with dipped beams without the foglights being on!
Old 20 Jan 2003, 15:33 (Ref:480043)   #16
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Construction And Use Regulations reqire, as far as I'm aware, the front fog lights to have a separate switch with a tell-tale light and they are supposed to be wired so that they can only be switched on when the headlights are on dipped beam. I presume this is a new car? Have a closer look, there must be a switch somewhere- anywhere!! Can't wait to see what happens on it's first MOT!!
Old 20 Jan 2003, 18:59 (Ref:480285)   #17
kristof14
Veteran

YEah it's nice and shiny new! Therefore i don't get to drive it often and haven't had a proper root around inside it!
Old 20 Jan 2003, 19:11 (Ref:480301)   #18
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate it most when people are driving along the old A-roads and have high beam on the whole time - I can't see where I'm bloody going!
Old 21 Jan 2003, 11:35 (Ref:480936)   #19
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
YEah it's nice and shiny new! Therefore i don't get to drive it often and haven't had a proper root around inside it!
Just dont let you're mum find out you are doing that kind of thing in her new car.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 21 Jan 2003, 12:07 (Ref:480973)   #20
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We all thought it, but Shane said it.

That's where all these kids keep coming from you know mate.
Old 21 Jan 2003, 23:01 (Ref:481801)   #21
kristof14
Veteran

you dirty old men!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 10:19 (Ref:482209)   #22
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The foglight switch in my car has a nice little light. Shame that i can't see it while driving as it sits right behind the rim of the steering wheel in my normal driving position. But as it is turned off 99.9% of the time anyway, I just have to be careful when turning on the cruise control, which is next to the front fogs.
Old 22 Jan 2003, 10:31 (Ref:482220)   #23
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just pull the fuse!
Old 22 Jan 2003, 11:07 (Ref:482252)   #24
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that if you need your car to tell you when to switch your lights on/off, your wipers on/off, that your indicator is still on etc, then you shouldn't be on the road. Modern cars seem to be increasingly geared towards the hard of thinking
Old 22 Jan 2003, 11:10 (Ref:482256)   #25
Airhead
Veteran

So true.