Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1712828)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have we truly seen the last of Michael?

Bernie E thinks that Ferrari rushed TGF into a decision, he will change his mind and come back to Formula One for 2008, with Renault, no less.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/formulao...871681,00.html

Would be astonishing if it occurred, but you wonder whether Renault would be prepared to pay the big bucks that Schumacher would inevitably command in order to put his backside in a Renault.

Still, given that Jordan became Midland and now becoming Spyker, there would be some poetic justice in TGF finishing at the team where he really made his name.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1712837)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hms don't agree there, don't think he'll come back.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1712847)   #3
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi and Ferrari are rusted together,
they are a brand where the sum is greater than the parts
MS will spend his retirement as a figurehead, a spokesman, an ambassador
he'll get paid for wearing a hat or a shirt with a Ferrari logo for the next 20 years.

to come back with another team would destroy that, he would be crazy to do it and Ferrari would be crazy to lose him.

maybe in 20 years we'll have fanboys saying "whose that old geezer that hangs around the Ferrari pits all the time?"

but then again we all know who Jackie Stewart is, and Stirling Moss and when they speak we listen, MS will be the same
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1712850)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I'd agree that Schumacher probably retired before he actually wanted to, I think the chances of him coming back after a year away will be minimal. Firstly, as I understand it, Schumacher has some sort of agreement with Ferrari to act as an 'ambassador' for the company, which may preclude a deal with Renault. Secondly, by then Schumacher will have spent a year away from the sport and may decide that his time is better spent with his family especially given that his accomplishments in F1 are unlikely to be bettered for quite some time.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1712851)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm pretty sure that Michael will be getting paid to not drive for anyone else.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:48 (Ref:1712858)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The key to the article is the word "may".
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1712861)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
No chance.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1712872)   #8
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher and JV at Renault in 2008, that's what I would call a publicity stunt and one hell of an entertaining season.

Seriously though I don't see MS in retirement too long, he's got racing in his blood and he's still good enough to challenge the young guns. He can't really lose, if he beats his teammate he proves he's still the greatest in the world, if he loses he just says that he's getting too old and that he came back just for fun.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1712884)   #9
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Can't see him getting back in F1 - partly because of his emotional attachment to Ferrari and partly because there's probably been some 'golden handcuff' deal which prevents this. That's not to say he won't turn up at Le Mans or even Indy at some point...

NASCAR is the only other racing series that could match his salary expectations. Now that WOULD be interesting! Maybe I've been watching too much 'Talledega Nights' this weekend!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1712917)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's part of the "show" that Bernie likes to play... keep the crowd hooked !

I'm pretty sure that it won't happen.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1712983)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It won't happen, Bernie is being silly again!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:05 (Ref:1712995)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas
That's not to say he won't turn up at Le Mans or even Indy at some point...
Based on what he has said this is unlikely. Besides I get the impression, for him, it was F1 that did it for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Amazing how few ever notice.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1713074)   #13
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From everything I've read about Michael and also from the very balanced structure of different areas of his life, it has been clear to me that from an early age he saw racing as a tool to create his life and he wanted and developed it into a masterpiece of precision and efficiency. I feel he realizes it is time to let go of it and enjoy the life he's built.

Schumi always raced to live, not the other way around and that's one of the reasons I admire him. He came, he drove and he conquered.

He will be out of F1 before F1 can be out of him.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1713079)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi

I'm pretty sure that it won't happen.
Quite, although if F1 doesn't 'ignite' without him then Bernie might be tempted to put a biot of pressure on him to come back?

I think F1 will be fine - Kimi v Fernando will quickly become the main focus for media, with a host of other guys starting to shine to keep everyone's attention.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 18:17 (Ref:1713099)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking back at the time when Senna died, and Bernie tried to bring back one of the greats, Mansell, Prost and Piquet, it does make sense that he is using the same tactic.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 19:22 (Ref:1713137)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if he maintains his fitness level, i would say at best a testing/development role with Ferrari...not to the extent of full time tester a la Panis or anything, but just enough for him to get some kicks.

i believe i already have read something of this nature, but cant recall where. it might have had to do with developing his personalized "Enzo" or something like that. sorry no link though
Old 19 Sep 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1713328)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's not going to happen at Renault or anywhere else within F1..He will do some testing for Ferrari because his feedback is second to none..
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1713637)   #18
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl
if he maintains his fitness level, i would say at best a testing/development role with Ferrari...not to the extent of full time tester a la Panis or anything, but just enough for him to get some kicks.

i believe i already have read something of this nature, but cant recall where. it might have had to do with developing his personalized "Enzo" or something like that. sorry no link though
If anything, I reckon that would be the last thing TGF would want to do. Racing is in his blood. Testing is left to peons (no offence to Badoer and Pizzonia).
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1713676)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I thought it had already been stated that he will have some alternative role within Ferrari, but we haven't been told what that is.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 12:04 (Ref:1713693)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Some sort of tech/support/admin advisory, I believe.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1713882)   #21
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He will not go anywhere else for one simple reason. He knows the set up at Ferrari and he knows the resources that Ferrari have at there disposal. He himself will be one of these resources. This is all to steer Ferrari into the next era.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1713909)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Bernie E thinks that Ferrari rushed TGF into a decision, he will change his mind and come back to Formula One for 2008, with Renault, no less.
To a certain degree i believe that Ferrari did "force Michael's hand", but that was because they wanted to secure their own future, not neccessarily Michaels.

Martin Brundle made a good point at Monza when he stated that Ferrari's desire to secure Kimi's services outweighed their desire to keep Michael, and i believe that to be true.

Imo, we have seen the last of Michael in F1 as a driver at least. He has nothing to gain by coming back in 2008.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1713915)   #23
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he shows up in the DTM, where most of the recently retired F1 drivers went, at least briefly. I hope JV goes there too.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1713940)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rather see him at LM....but don't think either will happen, as his press release was (for now) "retiring from racing" - not retiring from F1.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1713955)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see Le Mans appealing to him. Full time testing seems unlikely too, as he always did less testing than a lot of other top drivers once Ferrari were on top.