Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Mar 2017, 15:15 (Ref:3716133)   #1
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1989-1990 BTCC organisers

I have been looking for information of the cancelled BTCC race at the 1988 Birmingham Superprix (due to time constraits and numerous delays from the F3000 race) for many years as I got so many gaps in my research. I have asked David Lucas (organiser of the Birmingham Road Race committee) some drivers such as Andy Rouse, Karl Jones, Chris Hodgetts and a few drivers and no avail. I have been in touch with RAC MSA who organised the BTCC round and they got nothing as well.

So I have decided to look into the BTCC organisers at the time of the 1988-1990 BTCC era. As this is a very long shot but does anyone know whereabouts of the organisers:

1987: Spencer Hall (BTCC Co-ordinator)

From the 1989 ESSO BTCC media guide/information:

- Robin Bradford (Robin Bradford & Associates) Media Co-ordinator,

Gerard Sauer - Championship Co-ordinator,

Kevin Best - Sponsorship Co-ordinator.

From the 1990 ESSO BTCC Series Guide:

- Jim Wright (Active SPort Ltd) BTCC Co-ordinator,

Andrew Beint (Assistant BTCC Co-ordinator)

Robin Bradford (Robin Bradford & Associates) Media Co-ordinator.

I would appreciate anyone who would help me to find information or photos from the 1988 race and those people who was involved with the organisational side at the time. Thank you.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 15:17 (Ref:3716134)   #2
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as my memory goes I'm sure it was the BRSCC who organised the Super Prix meetings
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3716153)   #3
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
As far as my memory goes I'm sure it was the BRSCC who organised the Super Prix meetings
That is correct but they got nothing on the qualifying line-up before the race. So I was hoping the BTCC organisers might have something there.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3716609)   #4
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you getting my messages Bigears? Thanks.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3718142)   #5
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post
I have been looking for information of the cancelled BTCC race at the 1988 Birmingham Superprix (due to time constraits and numerous delays from the F3000 race) for many years as I got so many gaps in my research. I have asked David Lucas (organiser of the Birmingham Road Race committee) some drivers such as Andy Rouse, Karl Jones, Chris Hodgetts and a few drivers and no avail. I have been in touch with RAC MSA who organised the BTCC round and they got nothing as well.

So I have decided to look into the BTCC organisers at the time of the 1988-1990 BTCC era. As this is a very long shot but does anyone know whereabouts of the organisers:

1987: Spencer Hall (BTCC Co-ordinator)

From the 1989 ESSO BTCC media guide/information:

- Robin Bradford (Robin Bradford & Associates) Media Co-ordinator,

Gerard Sauer - Championship Co-ordinator,

Kevin Best - Sponsorship Co-ordinator.

From the 1990 ESSO BTCC Series Guide:

- Jim Wright (Active SPort Ltd) BTCC Co-ordinator,

Andrew Beint (Assistant BTCC Co-ordinator)

Robin Bradford (Robin Bradford & Associates) Media Co-ordinator.

I would appreciate anyone who would help me to find information or photos from the 1988 race and those people who was involved with the organisational side at the time. Thank you.
Robin Bradford de-camped to somewhere in the West Indies many moons ago. The last I knew of Jim Wright he was active in F1 circles but haven't seen his name in a while.

Depending on what you are trying to find out, Martin Nott may well be the person to speak to. He published the various Touring Car Yearbook's over the years & is a touring car historian. Most recently he was involved with Motor Sport magazine but his name has disappeared from the flannel panel. They might be able to tell you where to find him now.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3718178)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The last I knew of Jim Wright he was active in F1 circles but haven't seen his name in a while.
I think he is now at the Mahindra Formula E team.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 09:27 (Ref:3718330)   #7
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Robin Bradford de-camped to somewhere in the West Indies many moons ago. The last I knew of Jim Wright he was active in F1 circles but haven't seen his name in a while.

Depending on what you are trying to find out, Martin Nott may well be the person to speak to. He published the various Touring Car Yearbook's over the years & is a touring car historian. Most recently he was involved with Motor Sport magazine but his name has disappeared from the flannel panel. They might be able to tell you where to find him now.

Thank you for your informative post. I have been in touch with Robin Bradford and he will have a look what he can find. I am wondering where can I find Martin Nott and is there a such thing as a touring car book for 1988-1990 on BTCC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 Mar 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3718333)   #8
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears View Post
Thank you for your informative post. I have been in touch with Robin Bradford and he will have a look what he can find. I am wondering where can I find Martin Nott and is there a such thing as a touring car book for 1988-1990 on BTCC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think there was a Yearbook then, but quite possibly an Autosport year end supplement?

I am a bit out of touch now I'm across the Channel & don't know Martin's current whereabouts. I can only suggest you contact the Motor Sport office.