Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Dec 2015, 09:19 (Ref:3600667)   #1
andmark4389
Rookie

andmark4389 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerry Ashmore's Lotus Elan Plus 2

Hello chaps. Wonder if any of you can help...

I've been asked to sort out and sell the Elan Plus 2 that was raced in the 1970s by Gerry Ashmore and Max Payne. It was an old mate of mine's pride and joy but he's just passed and his widow has no idea what to do with the car.

I think the best thing is to apply for an HTP and see where we go from there. The car and its specification are both well known but the FIA needs period evidence that its specification differed from the homologated one - which it did, although not by much. It also needs to have run in that spec in an International race.

As far as I know, it started life with a lightweight shell which came from Lotus, along with brakes and uprights from a Lotus 47 - hence the knock on wheels and large rears with arch flares. Engine I believe also came from Lotus but was still a 1600cc twin cam. Pity Lotus didn't supply an engine from a 62 or somesuch...

I have results from April 25th 1970 at Silverstone (Daily Express) where the car finished 22nd. Not sure if that was an international though. There was a third in class at the 1971 Norisring 200kms race, and a non finish (classified 25th) at the Nurburgring 300kms in 1972, both of which were definitely Internationals.

It did a fair amount of Modsports in various hands over the years - I drove it at a Boxing Day Brands in about 1974 or '75 - but it hasn't been on the tracks for probably 20 years now.

It would be possible simply to take off the 47 parts and the rear wheel arches, and that would allow it to conform to the homologated spec, but that's not how it was raced.

There's no doubt that this is the car, but any period evidence (like a feature in a magazine), or pictures from the races would help enormously.

Let me know, thanks

Mark Hales
Old 29 Dec 2015, 16:53 (Ref:3600731)   #2
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmark4389 View Post
Hello chaps. Wonder if any of you can help...

I've been asked to sort out and sell the Elan Plus 2 that was raced in the 1970s by Gerry Ashmore and Max Payne. It was an old mate of mine's pride and joy but he's just passed and his widow has no idea what to do with the car.

I think the best thing is to apply for an HTP and see where we go from there. The car and its specification are both well known but the FIA needs period evidence that its specification differed from the homologated one - which it did, although not by much. It also needs to have run in that spec in an International race.

As far as I know, it started life with a lightweight shell which came from Lotus, along with brakes and uprights from a Lotus 47 - hence the knock on wheels and large rears with arch flares. Engine I believe also came from Lotus but was still a 1600cc twin cam. Pity Lotus didn't supply an engine from a 62 or somesuch...

I have results from April 25th 1970 at Silverstone (Daily Express) where the car finished 22nd. Not sure if that was an international though. There was a third in class at the 1971 Norisring 200kms race, and a non finish (classified 25th) at the Nurburgring 300kms in 1972, both of which were definitely Internationals.

It did a fair amount of Modsports in various hands over the years - I drove it at a Boxing Day Brands in about 1974 or '75 - but it hasn't been on the tracks for probably 20 years now.

It would be possible simply to take off the 47 parts and the rear wheel arches, and that would allow it to conform to the homologated spec, but that's not how it was raced.

There's no doubt that this is the car, but any period evidence (like a feature in a magazine), or pictures from the races would help enormously.

Let me know, thanks

Mark Hales
Hi Mark

I'm pretty sure I've got at least one photo of the car, probably taking at Snetterton although I also remember seeing it at a Lotus Factory Open Day. I'll also see if I can find anything in print about the car.

JOHN ELWIN
Old 30 Dec 2015, 11:05 (Ref:3600918)   #3
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I checked on racingsportscars.com but found nothing.
Old 30 Dec 2015, 17:02 (Ref:3601014)   #4
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Mark

I have indeed got a photo of the +2, taken at Snetterton in 1970. If you would like to PM me with an email address, I will scan it & send it over to you. I haven't a clue how to put it on here!

JOHN
Old 2 Jan 2016, 16:47 (Ref:3601609)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Click the "Go Advanced" button below the Quick Reply box. The. On the next screen scroll down and click the "Manage Ataachments" button

(I'd like to see the photo too)
Old 3 Jan 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3601889)   #6
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mallory Park

I have sent this to Mark along with a scan of the entry list and the programme front cover.

April 19th 1970 - an event also notable for the appearance of the 4.2 litre P6 Rover...
Attached Thumbnails
170_0419_105 Elan plus 2.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2016, 21:02 (Ref:3601891)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gerry Ashmore's Lotus Elan Plus 2

Thanks

I like the body mods. Cooling an issue?
Nice black bonnet, very '70s.

Are these still on the car?
Old 4 Jan 2016, 14:48 (Ref:3602001)   #8
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Hopefully a picture will appear here!

I took this shot of the Ashmore Elan +2 in the paddock at Snetterton on 17 May 1970, although curiously it is not listed as an entry in any of the races on the programme.

If nothing else, it has gained a few more stickers during the four weeks that separate my photo from the Mallory Park shot.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ashmore Elan +2.pdf (363.5 KB, 36 views)