Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Jan 2003, 23:59 (Ref:491166)   #1
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Needham Market

Just wondering if any Snetterton marshals went to the meeting organised by BARC on Wednesday night. Maybe this is not the place to talk about what went on. I just wondered if something positive came out of it. I was hoping to attend but work got in the way.

Steve B
Old 31 Jan 2003, 12:56 (Ref:491774)   #2
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what was the meeting about?
Old 31 Jan 2003, 22:07 (Ref:492347)   #3
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 24 hour 2CV race and other BARC meetings due to be held at Snetteron.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 23:43 (Ref:492445)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
about getting enough marshals or procedures?
Old 1 Feb 2003, 14:28 (Ref:492904)   #5
stevebrown
Racer

England
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it was about not enough marshals at Snet meetings organised by BARC. We all know the problems of the disappearing marshal but Snetterton and BARC have their own problems which have been brewing for a while. For instance I know of two respected observers who won't attend BARC meetings anymore because of decisions made at certian meetings. Even last year at the BTCC meeting the entire crew at Russell threatened to walk off Sunday afternoon because of decisions made.
I have been involved in some of these incidents but I still Go to BARC meetings as I have been to other circuits for BARC and been treated very well and I hope things will get better at Snet.

Steve B
Old 1 Feb 2003, 15:54 (Ref:492980)   #6
sss
Veteran

England
cheers steve, sounds intriguing, someone may mention more later,
Old 2 Feb 2003, 21:58 (Ref:494185)   #7
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As mentioned; last taer the BARC meeting were very poorly supported by local marshals because of problems in the paes. This was an attempt by BARC to clear the air and look to get tha marshals back. At the meeting there was, indeed, a frank exchange of views but it ended friendle with some agreement that things could be better with better communications and a local regular chief marshal.
I beleive that those attending have a resolve to improve things and we may get a volunteer for CM. Lets hope so.
Old 4 Feb 2003, 00:09 (Ref:495580)   #8
stevebrown
Racer

England
Thanks Peter. I'm glad something positive has come out of this,after all it's taken two years to get this meeting. A local chief marshal does sound a good idea, I just hope he (or she) keeps the crews together. Mind you Trevor Jackson did a stirling job last year considering he doesn't usually come up this far. He certainly had a hard task. When I asked If I could go with my usual BRSCC crew at the BTCC he let me.
Certainly problems have come from others giving what I would consider baffling (to put it politely) decisions. (I'm thinking the Dan Eaves shunt in 2001 and last years Clio race), so I do hope communication is better. I just hope that all Snet marshals come back to BARC and give them another chance, including my observer.
See you Sunday at training day
Steve B
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:16 (Ref:497803)   #9
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Steve, your Observer WAS at the meeting and was smiling, but he normally is, so thats no clue. Guess he comes from a jolly family.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:37 (Ref:497852)   #10
stevebrown
Racer

England
I guess he does Peter. He was either smiling because the meeting went well or BARC have taken FFords off the TOCA support!

Steve B
Old 8 Feb 2003, 00:58 (Ref:500180)   #11
SkyDigital
Rookie

SkyDigital should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was on post the night Dan Eaves visited Coram and was not happy with BARC's decision so contacted them on the Sunday to ask why they had not listened to the observers on post. BARC contacted me the next day and informed me of the reasons behind the decisions, which cleared things up a lot.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 09:31 (Ref:500388)   #12
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could you share that? I was onpost at Russels but your side of the track when Mr Collard visited us and only just missed Dan's car and those tyres. It still strikes me as soooo dangerous. I assumed it was because they didn't want ot get fined for going over midnight and had no regard for safety of marshals, spectators and drivers alike. Muller did a superb bit of driving recovery becuase if it though, which was amazing to see.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 23:02 (Ref:504989)   #13
stevebrown
Racer

England
SkyDigital
I was at Corum that night as well. Those last few laps were absolutely scary, especially when Muller spun. I dread to think what would have happened if he had hit Dan's car or one of the tyres. I believe that instead of running the race for another six laps, we could have rebuilt the tyrewall in three, under the safety car and run the corner under yellows for the full race distance. It would not have affected the race at all as the cars would have been racing to the line. But what we got was abuse and one observer having the phone put down on him when he asked for a safety car. I believe that the person who gave us abuse will not be at Snet any more. (That persons other half was also one reason my observer stopped doing BARC meetings).

But good things have already started to come out of the meeting. At training day Mike Whitney announced he was offering to become chief marshal for BARC at Snet. Anyone who knows Mike will agree he's sure to do a great job. Lets hope that when it comes to race day that BARC will now listen to us. Only time will tell but it's a good start.

Steve B
Old 13 Feb 2003, 18:37 (Ref:505638)   #14
2CV Racer
Racer

2CV Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How are we looking for marshals for the 24 hour race? This will be a BARC event and whilst low stress compared to BTCC it will have requirements for a lot of marshals over the weekend (as they'll be running 3 shifts).
Old 13 Feb 2003, 23:24 (Ref:505962)   #15
manicmarshal
Racer

manicmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the feeling that people are looking forward to that meeting so hopefully should be okay. Of course the more people the merrier