Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 1 May 2003, 09:30 (Ref:1581246)   #1
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
March 73B - 74B - 75B - 76B - 77B

Chris, isn't it strange, I own the Eddie Jordan March 74b that he sold to purchase the Chevron.

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:04. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 1 May 2003, 11:04 (Ref:1581247)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Did the 74B you have race in NZ at all?.

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:04. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 1 May 2003, 11:45 (Ref:1581248)   #3
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Armco Bender , no it never ran in N.Z.ex Ireland to Western Australia.in 1979.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Apr 2006 at 17:11. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 1 May 2003, 21:24 (Ref:1581249)   #4
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The Marches weren't overly sucessfull here against the Chevrons and Ralts.It wasn't until Fabi came here with the 78B in 1979 they won some races.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Apr 2006 at 17:13. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 1 May 2003, 21:42 (Ref:1581250)   #5
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bryan

Does your ex Jordan 74B have a plate on it? I have the history of this car as 74/75: Stiller for Bev Bond and Alan Jones. 75/76 Des Donnelly. 77 Jordan. 78? 79: Colin Simpson [Scottish hillclimb championship]

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Apr 2006 at 17:14. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 1 May 2003, 22:53 (Ref:1581251)   #6
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Marches must be one of the most confusing cars,this is typical, a site advertising a 722 thats been rebuilt from a 76B,a 722 looks nothing like the 76 series http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/ma...0/722-20ss.htm.Several March 74/75/76/77 bitsers were raced here in the Atlantic series.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Apr 2006 at 17:15. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 1 May 2003, 23:43 (Ref:1581252)   #7
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Armco

You're not kidding about Marches, though it may well be that underneath that particular 76B bodywork is a 722 tub.
Underneath several 73Bs - as built by March AS NEW CARS - were 712M tubs. Ray Mallock's had 712M-5 [ex Beuttler F2] and Sonny Rajah 712M-7 [ex Peterson F2]. We can only praise March for their early committment to recycling and ecological issues, but it's a nightmare for the historian.

This is not helped by drivers changing the identity of their cars whenever they modified them a bit. Howard Wood is described as racing a 75B in the '77 Tasman. Motoring News in UK said this was ex Val Musetti, meaning that underneath it all was either the ex Stan Matthews 73B [itself possibly built on a recycled 712M] or a 742 tub of indeterminate provenance. Does anyone know about the NZ history of this car?

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:07. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 2 May 2003, 02:16 (Ref:1581253)   #8
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Howard Woods car was an older 74 type March with updated body work,I think he ran in the '78 or '79 series here with it,it wasnt competitive any way.

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:07. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 2 May 2003, 11:21 (Ref:1581254)   #9
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Re. my 74B , long story ,especially if you can only type 1 finger.
Ex Bev Bond /Jonesy to,ref.AutosportMarch 27 1975 p.57 to Frank Blanchard, who in another article described as having driven car , however I can,t find evidence , thence to Bill Gowdy , ref. Autosport July 17 1975 p.71 , till adv. for sale nov.27 75 , thence toGerry Kinnane ref. p45 Autosport March 25 1976 , with driver Des Donnelly for rest of 1976.
For 1977 Eddie Jordan ref.Autosport March 31 1977, for all of season till adv. for sale 10 /11/ 1977 p56.
The next I could find was in Australia , but we were advised that it had come from Scottish Hillclimbs , but they are not reported very well.
The purchaser was a Mr. Grahame Brown , a Scotsman who was moving to Western Australia , and bought with him 2 Marches the other car being Des Donnelly,s 73B which is ex Colin Vanderwell,s Championship winning Yellow pages car .
The Vandervell car retains it chassis plate 73B-8 , my car is stamped on front R.H.S. bulkhead 74B-12 , but the plate went awol I understand as the 2 cars came in as 1 and spares.
You have filled in a gap that I new existed in Scotland but could not confirm.
The tub no. on mine is 73-26.
Ihave another March problem re. 74B-12 which is also here via Ken Smith but again no Assistance despite promises perhaps this is the ex Val Musseti car.

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Feb 2007 at 19:37. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 2 May 2003, 11:29 (Ref:1581255)   #10
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Sorry I should have added , inside 1 of the bodypanels I found a I.M.R.C. scrutinnering sticker .
I.M.R.C. = Irish Motor Racing Club.
Old 2 May 2003, 14:37 (Ref:1581256)   #11
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Bryan

You are wonderful mine of information! I think we need to pace that one finger, and also not spoil me with too much history at once. I will try and find some more about Colin Simpson and his ownership of the car. I've got his purchase of the car from either Autosport or Motoring News, I'll have to check my notes.

I have found another 74B that went down under, to NZ, which might help with your mystery car. This is the ex-Ted Wentz Wella car which was raced by Alan Crocker in 76/77. Crocker was a Kiwi who raced the car briefly in the 76 Indyatlantic series and then used it in the 1977 Tasman. He appeared with it at Bay Park and the Motoring News report checks it as ex-Wentz.

I don't know the number of this car because I don't know who [if anyone] has the sales records for March Atlantics. But I can have a good stab because it's the Wella car. Wentz had won the Wella FF1600 championship in '73 and turned up to the prizegiving, expecting to collect a small cheque, to find a fully kitted out Atlantic, because Wella had decided without telling him, to back him the following year. [Why could I never find a sponsor like that? Okay, I never placed better than 6th or 7th, maybe that was why.]
Since this was in December '73 and since Motoring News calls the car 'the first customer 74B' as opposed to a prototype which would perhaps have a U or R prefix from March, I've always thought of this as 73B-1.

The Musetti cars are a nightmare, since they were always described as being at least a model newer than they actually were. I know he ran 752-15 with a GAA V6 in the back in '76/77 [ex Walkinshaw and ex Kuwashima in F2] and that in 75 he had the Matthews 73B. By 76 he has two cars one described as a 75B and the other as a 742. I think the Matthews car is under the 75B and that a 732 tub features in the 742, but who really knows. Maybe I'll have to track him down. [Interesting guy, was a stunt driver for films who did the classic Mini sequence in the Italian Job.]

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:10. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 2 May 2003, 15:07 (Ref:1581257)   #12
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Townsend
I know he ran 752-15 with a GAA V6 in the back in '76/77 [ex Walkinshaw and ex Kuwashima in F2] and that in 75 he had the Matthews 73B. By 76 he has two cars one described as a 75B and the other as a 742. I think the Matthews car is under the 75B and that a 732 tub features in the 742, but who really knows.
Chris, do you mean Stan Matthews?
He raced an Ensign and then a 73B in Atlantic under the Promoto racing banner.Both green and yellow in classic 'lotus' style.
My father was Stan's mechanic when he raced special saloons in 68/69 before he went to the JRRDS at Snetterton.
Now running a bar in Spain I believe. I have not seen him since '78 at Silverstone. He was pretty well off for an 18 year old when he first turned up at our house to look at the racing saloon Anglia my father spannered on and arrived in a Ferrari he had bought the day before from Peter Sellers.That turned a few heads on our council estate! His folks ran the Wicken Country Hotel near Silverstone. I remember going there as a kid when the GP was on and many of the F1 drivers stayed there.
Amon, McLaren, Gurney, Hill, Bonnier etc were all in the hotel bar so it was 'autograph book' heaven! Stan became quite good when he got to F3/Atlantic but I think the money ran out.
Old 2 May 2003, 19:24 (Ref:1581258)   #13
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Andrew

I do indeed mean that Stan Matthews. He'd quit before I started watching in '76/77. Musetti bought the 73B for the 1975 Atlantic season and rechristened it as a 74B. The following year it was called a 75B but still fundamentally the same car I think. I'm guessing it was this car that became Howard Wood's "75B" in the 77 Tasman.
Old 3 May 2003, 10:33 (Ref:1581259)   #14
Bryan Miller
Veteran

gGenleman, I will try to sort out 1 at a time.
Andrew and Chris will know who I mean when I say Duncan R. of the F1 Register.Duncan could not assist re. my 74B any more than what I already had which is 1 page only of 74B sales , mine originated from Alan Harris at Gordon Spice Eng. circa 1987 .
I don,t know where it originated but it will appear to all that it is correct when I type it in , I don,t think in this forum it will fall in to Bad use.Here goes
74B-1 Planer White 2 Nov. 1973.
74B-2 Grimaldi Red 29 Nov. 1973
74B-3 Grimaldi Yellow 27 Nov. 1973
74B-4 Grimaldi Midnight Blue 12 Dec. 1973
74B-5 M.Coarasa Midnight Blue 4 Dec 1973
74B-6 Grimaldi White 17 Dec. 1973
74B-7 C.Cramer White 10 Jan. 1974 with note lightweight hillclimb special
74B-8 Canada Green 28 Jan. 1974
74B-9 Brown Blue 23 Feb.1974
74B-10 Grimaldi White no date
74B-11 Grimaldi White ''
74B-12 Grimaldi Midnight Blue no date
74B-13 Grimaldi Yellow 31 May note semi kit.

I know who and where Grimaldi was in 1975 via some other March documents, when cars that went to U.S.A. were dispatched via Rapid Movements to Shierson / Grimaldi.
It looks like he was some sort of broker pre. ordering cars and on selling.
The guys at Marchives in the U.S. also know of him,but not for a long time, Ihave been advised he was the engine builder.
Where does this leave us????
# 1 should be the Wella car as it is white and on display at the Racing car show early Jan.1974.
I bet Planer was the man at Wella who placed the order at March.
# 7 is the superbly liveried Grunhale Lager car of Chris Cramer
# 8 could be for export to Canada.
#12 should be mine.

Autosport March 7 1974 has a preview of the 1st. round of the John Player Atlantic Championships with 5 74B entries listed for Bev Bond ,Snappy Tom [ Tom Walkinshaw ] , Bobby Brown , Ted Wenz , and Matt Spitzley.
I later read Spitzley,s car was an updated 713M
For sure the 74B-1 is Wenz and unless anybody dissagrees it went to N.Z. thence to Australia about 10 years ago and I know exactly where the car is and who owns it .

Over to you guys to see if you can add anything.
Old 3 May 2003, 18:30 (Ref:1581260)   #15
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I've just spent the entire day going through the 1974 UK Atlantic season. Only three genuine 74Bs appear in the series:
the Wella car for Wentz [1] [and I can check Mr Planer by going back to the story in Motoring News about Wentz being given the car.]
the Stiller car for Bev Bond [12] which was blue, so that tallies
the Brown car, for Bobby Brown and Dave Morgan early season before Brown takes it to USA.
Walkinshaw never appears in a March, when he does race it's in a Modus M3, which he writes off at the British GP support race. So, either the entry for the first round, for which Andrew has sent me a copy of the programme, is a fantasy on Tom's part or he cancelled the order.
I'd suggest that the Brown car is number 8, as his cars were Blue
Spitzley's car was a converted 713M even though often described as a 74B

I'd say the remaining cars all went to the US/Canada, where I have the following owners so far.
David Loring
Cliff Jensen
Team Canada: Gilles Villeneuve
and a second car for George Follmer at Trois Rivieres in Sept which is either new then or a spare through the season. These cars were White with Schweppes logos, maybe 10 and 11?
Reg Scullion
Depaillier has a new car for Trois Rivieres which I suspect isn't on this list.
Spitzley's car was yellow, and I wonder if the semi-kit is an update for him.

Any ideas on the base colours of the Loring/Jensen/Scullion cars?
Also, Allen, if you're following this, are there more 74B users in your N.American magazines that I haven't got here?

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Apr 2006 at 20:12. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!
Old 3 May 2003, 18:50 (Ref:1581261)   #16
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
There is perhaps one other 74B in the UK
This is the car that appears first for John Gillmeister and then is sold to Wes Dawn in August.September '74. I don't know much about this car which didn't appear often.
I think that Roger Hurst, who frequents this forum, used to run Gillmeister's cars. Can you offer any help on this Roger?
Old 3 May 2003, 20:36 (Ref:1581262)   #17
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
..., Allen, if you're following this, are there more 74B users in your N.American magazines that I haven't got here?
Chris

Of course I'm following this - it's fascinating. I'm a bit thin on US sources for 1974 as my Formula Collection starts with Feb 1975. However, in that copy (p14) I found:

"Joe Grimaldi imported several March 74Bs with Bobby Brown, Bruce Jensen, Gilles Villeneuve and Gary Maywood being the best known customers."

On p18 I also spotted Bruce Jensen and Reg Scullion in an Atlantic race at Watkins Glen in 742s, Fred Philips in James King's 73B and Roos in Grimaldi's 732. I think this race supported the US GP. And on p8: "Tom Sauerbrei ... will be in the ex Depailler March 742" in Atlantic in 1975. That might help plug a gap later.

In the Mar 75 edition they are on to talking about 1975 but do mention that Dave Morris (Edmonton) wrecked a 74B at Mosport in '74. Jensen and David Loring are pictured racing 74Bs at Sanair.

Is this all useful??

I presume you means that Brown's car was number 9, seeing as it actually mentions him by name!!
74B-9 Brown Blue 23 Feb.1974

Grimaldi ran "The Race Shop" in Adrian, Michigan.

Allen
Old 3 May 2003, 20:44 (Ref:1581263)   #18
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris

Fred Opert advertises the Brown 74B (8 races from new) in June 1975. The full Edmonton grid is shown - there are 11 75Bs, two 73B and a 722.

Tell me to stop any time you like!

Allen
Old 3 May 2003, 20:54 (Ref:1581264)   #19
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Full Westwood grid in August 1975 p26. Now 12 75Bs, one 73B and a 722. Where did all the 74Bs go? All uprated to 75B?

Hang on - here's one. Tom Outcault, 5th at the Road America June Sprints (p29)

Gimli grid on p26 of the September edition. Eight 75Bs, King's 73B and Schuppan's 722/73B.

Aha - I se from the March book only 12 75Bs built. All on one grid at Westwood? I think not. I'm glad I just do the F5000s - they much simpler than this!

Allen
Old 3 May 2003, 20:54 (Ref:1581265)   #20
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
I meant number 9 of course for the Bobby Brown car, my mistake!

I'd got Sauerbrei racing a 742 in SCCA. But not ANOTHER ex Depaillier.
That makes 4 and a quick scan of written off tubs in Depaillier's 74 season gives me two, plus an intact one at the end of the season, plus the spare that his contract insisted on [so that at Karlskoga March had to hire Obermoser's car back because they'd run out!] gives me
4 !!!
Isn't history marvellous. Of course F1R shows him as using the same car all season.
Although Sauerbrei's car could equally have been the 74B that ran at Trois Rivieres...

Does the Sanair picture of Jensen and Loring give us a clue to colour?

Mail me the Edmonton grid for starters! Just wish British mags had been as thorough.

Chris
Old 3 May 2003, 20:58 (Ref:1581266)   #21
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

And Quebec (Oct 75 p36) had 11 75Bs, a 74B (Peter Broeker), King, Schuppan and two more 73Bs.
Old 3 May 2003, 21:03 (Ref:1581267)   #22
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Allen
12 75Bs all on one grid is possible.
There weren't any other markets at that time.
ZA started the following year.
In Britain the 75Bs are all a bit dodgy
Mallock's is based on the ex Coulon 742 then gets a B tub number U1
Derek Cook has what is either a prototype car or a hor series 74B at the very end of 1974 [races Boxing Day Brands] described as a 75B.
[Autosport track tests a 75B prototype in autumn '74]
Musetti's 75B is either a 73B or 742.

Chris
Old 3 May 2003, 21:05 (Ref:1581268)   #23
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Does the Sanair picture of Jensen and Loring give us a clue to colour?
It's black and white of course but the #41 Jensen car is predominately mid-grey witha white nose and the Loring car might be a miss-caption as it's #13 and white with Schweppes livery. Wasn't that Villeneuve's car?

Quote:
Mail me the Edmonton grid for starters! Just wish British mags had been as thorough.
Will do!

Allen
Old 3 May 2003, 21:11 (Ref:1581269)   #24
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Allen

Villeneuve broke his leg in accident at Mosport. Loring took over the car while he recovered.

Chris
Old 3 May 2003, 21:44 (Ref:1581271)   #25
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here’s a run-down of the other early-model FAt Marches in NZ:
•74B/1. Yes, the Wella/Wentz car. Raced by NZer Alan Crocker in British FAt races 1975 and 1976, and in NZ 1977. Sold it to Ken Smith who ran it for Ken Sager 1978, Robbie Booth 1979. Later owned and driven by Robbie Hislop 1982, Tony Batchelor 1983, Keith Laney 1984 but back in Smith’s hands by late 1988
•75B (number 742/1). Raced in F2 1974. Converted to 75B spec and presumably raced in British FAt 1975 and/or 1976. Brought to NZ by Howard Wood and raced by him 1977, Reg Cook 1978. Cook retained unraced until selling to collector John Gobbe 1982. Subsequent history unknown
•733/76B (number and early history unknown). Converted to FAt specs by expatriate NZer Dave Saunders and taken home for the first FP series in 1977. Crashed heavily and car written off
•76B/14. Raced by the Doug Shierson team in USA 1976. Raced in 1977 NZ series by Jamaican Richard Melville, who then settled NZ and raced again 1978. Sold to Unipart Malaysia and raced southeast Asia 1979 by Tiff Needell, Sonny Rajah etc. Possibly acquired by Rajah
•76B/20. Raced by the Doug Shierson team in USA 1976. Ken Smith NZ 1977-79. Sold 1981 to Warren Binning who never raced it, back to Smith 1983 and on to a new owner 1984. Smith was advertising for sale again 1999
•76B (number unknown). New to Graeme Lawrence, mainly SE Asia 1976-79. Sold to Romeo David who raced SE Asia 1980
•763/77B (763/14). Uprated F3 car. Andrew Miedecke Macau 1977, NZ and SE Asia 1978
•763/77B (763/38). Uprated F3 car. Ian Grob under Alan Docking Racing banner in NZ 1978. This (and a spare tub) later to Garry Clare, Australia
•77B/30. Probably not raced 1977: entered by works for Danny Sullivan in 1978 NZ series. Acquired by Colin Giltrap and raced for him by Larry Perkins 1979, Desiré Wilson 1980, John Smith 1981. Then sold to Ray Hanger in Australia
•77B (number not known). Brett Riley in NZ 1978-80, Tom Donovan 1981-83. Crashed in 1983 and supposedly written off
NOTE: The ex-Riley 77B was apparently competing in Australian hillcimbs with Peter Finlay 1998
•77B (number not known). Early history not known. Raced by Dave Saunders in NZ 1980-81, Ross Cameron 1982-84

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Apr 2006 at 17:19. Reason: Chassis Archive edit!