matlockscot
Rookie

matlockscot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button to stay

Bold claim on the Daily Fail's website
Old 10 Dec 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3483864)   #2
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would that mean Ron is not fully in control if that happens?

Telegraph back JB too
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...onference.html

Last edited by TWRv12; 10 Dec 2014 at 23:35.
Old 10 Dec 2014, 23:54 (Ref:3483870)   #3
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jenson Button secures McLaren seat
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/30328327
Old 11 Dec 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3483872)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
If this is fact ? then Jenson is the right choice IMO...
Old 11 Dec 2014, 00:48 (Ref:3483879)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr Button & Mr Alonso Set To Be Announced Tonight

Finally!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Dec 2014, 01:00 (Ref:3483883)   #6
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn
Old 11 Dec 2014, 01:58 (Ref:3483907)   #7
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Button continuing makes sporting sense. It's a transition year, making the partners gel in competition requires experience and Button knows both companies. It affords time to mull over who'll eventually replace both drivers.

With his effort to claw back shares apparently thwarted what will become of Dennis remains to be seen.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3484006)   #8
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon Hill on Sky at last Sunday's "Johnny Herbert Karting Challenge" saying that they should keep Jenson.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/vide...ld-keep-button
Old 11 Dec 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3484008)   #9
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Major coup for McLaren - Alonso & Button will be the best driver line-up in F1. Add in that the 3rd driver was the highest scoring rookie in 2014.

I know Ferrari also have 2 ex-WDC, but Raikkenon hasnt been focused in recent years.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3484009)   #10
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I hope that McLaren do keep Jenson, a Button - Alonso pairing should be interesting, and from a new car development point of view, their many years of combined experience should be very useful.
Whatever the outcome, the driver choice will be the result of some behind the scenes politics within the organisation, and what happens there as a result could be even more interesting!
Old 11 Dec 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3484012)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It will be interesting to see how Button and Alonso get along. If you remember Hamilton is the only team mate that has seriously challenged Alonso for pace. Button and Hamilton were pretty evenly matched over their time together at McLaren. Based on that I would expect Button to be closer to Alonso's average than Alonso's most recent team mates. I suspect Alonso will have an edge in qualifying but over a season they will not be far apart on points.

I suspect Magnussen would have become very much a number 2 to Alonso but I can't see that happening with Button.

Last edited by wolfhound; 11 Dec 2014 at 10:17.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3484013)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
idiots. the boring, uninspired choice. and i thought this was racing.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3484015)   #13
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
100% Official now:
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/team...tton-for-2015/
Poor choice in my view.
But at least they keep him om as a 3rd driver...
But what about Stoffel Vandoorne now?, if Magnussen is to return as a driver in 2016, he won't have the chance race a Mclaren F1 until 2017!, that is a long wait. So it is either that, or we will never see Magnussen as a F1 driver again.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:19 (Ref:3484027)   #14
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It would have been a poor choice if Magnussen had outperformed Button over the course of the season. But he did not. I'm sure Magnussen has a good career ahead of him though.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:22 (Ref:3484028)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i agree. rubbish choice.

what's the point in investing time, money and effort in developing two seriously good young drivers if you're just going to rely on the old veterans? can't hate on them for scrambling to sign alonso, but button is really uninspired. magnussen and vandoorne are back to where they were at the start of 2013.

hopefully they'll let kevin go and do a hulkenberg and play with some proper cars in sportscars in the meantime.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3484029)   #16
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
yeah, i agree. rubbish choice.

what's the point in investing time, money and effort in developing two seriously good young drivers if you're just going to rely on the old veterans? can't hate on them for scrambling to sign alonso, but button is really uninspired. magnussen and vandoorne are back to where they were at the start of 2013.

hopefully they'll let kevin go and do a hulkenberg and play with some proper cars in sportscars in the meantime.
Danish media is reporting Kevin will do Super GT for Honda in 2015.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3484033)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
oh well, at least he gets to play with some dirty cars and ~kawaii~ grid girls. or is it the other way round.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:41 (Ref:3484034)   #18
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A year out isn't a death blow to their careers. Plenty of drivers have taken that option and done well in F1, including his replacement Alonso
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3484035)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I think McLaren did the right thing retaining Button.
They need all the experience possible to develop the car, and while KMag is a very impressive rookie, I don't think he currently has the full set of skills they need for next year.

Button will keep Fernando honest, and he may also have the political skills to keep their partnership productive, it will be interesting, specially if Jense gets the upper hand! He is way better than he is given credit for, just ask Lewis.

Really surprised with this result though, given Ron's enthusiasm for KMag!
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:47 (Ref:3484036)   #20
paulSenna
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
paulSenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know how long the contracts are for Button and Alonso? Could Button be playing the waiting game next December too?
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3484038)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wont mean a thing if the Honda power unit is Renault-esque..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3484040)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think McLaren did the right thing retaining Button.
They need all the experience possible to develop the car, and while KMag is a very impressive rookie, I don't think he currently has the full set of skills they need for next year.
but he managed fine this season and he was in his rookie year. in fact, all he's ever done in a f1 race seat is develop a new car and technology. surely he's much more suited for the job than button, who can only have been involved in such an endeavour for 20-30% of his f1 experience

[/tongue in cheek]

sorry, it's just nonsense. they were leaning towards signing kevin until alonso came into the picture and started demanding button.
Old 11 Dec 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3484041)   #23
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think this is a wise decision as McLaren have not had the best chassis for a while and been unable to do as well with the Merc engine as they should have. Jenson has got some decent results this year and they need that continuity and experience to add to Alonso's fire. To do well you have to take decisions on empirical data, not emotion
Old 11 Dec 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3484042)   #24
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What a stupid comment!
Old 11 Dec 2014, 12:07 (Ref:3484043)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Mclaren doesn't pick drivers to flatter fans thirst for "new blood".

They pick drivers to optimise their own performance.

And quite right too.

Developing young drivers is about providing options and clearing channels for smooth succession on the team's preferred schedule. They don't schedule succession on the basis of the impatience of fans and it isn't obligatory for them to employ rookies.

It's a smart decision and they still have that new blood on tap when they need it.