Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3091818)   #1
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mazda LMP2 diesel engine

http://www.lemans.org/en/races/24h/u...lmp2_7750.html

Not a fan of these diesels. Too quiet. But I am a fan of more variety, so well done Mazda.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3091861)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
No comment !!!
Old 16 Jun 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3091993)   #3
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Could we see Dyson drop back to LMP2 with Mazda's support with this new Skyactiv, especially as almost all US Mazda ads feature something about how Skyactiv makes Mazdas better.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3092250)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
especially as almost all US Mazda ads feature something about how Skyactiv makes Mazdas better.
I can personally attest to that!

Will be interesting to see a new diesel in competition. Will it have the same grunt as the Audi or Peugeot engines?
Old 16 Jun 2012, 17:34 (Ref:3092259)   #5
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My big question is this the same spec (or close enough) as the new Grand-Am version? If it is this will be good for reliability as they will have a few of them running.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3092566)   #6
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
My big question is this the same spec (or close enough) as the new Grand-Am version? If it is this will be good for reliability as they will have a few of them running.
Yes it is going to be very similar to the unknown GA car.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 20:06 (Ref:3092591)   #7
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doonan just said on Eurosport that Dempsey Racing will be using this engine for 2013, starting at Sebring.

Another article:
http://www.lemans.org/en/races/24h/u...gine_7751.html
Old 17 Jun 2012, 20:40 (Ref:3093776)   #8
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
while I think its great to have Mazda back, I was listening about this on Eurosport and I must say alarm bells were ringing, 2.2L 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel in LMP2......in terms of power per cylinder this thing will be more highly strung than Audis LMP1 V6 turbo-diesel........Audi are rumored to be nudging 600bhp, so thats 100bhp per cylinder, and that was quite a push for Audi having stepped down from a V12 then a V10.......back in the Peugeot V12 days they had 745bhp so only 62bhp per cylinder.......if Mazda are aiming for LMP2 they must be aiming in the region of 480-500bhp, which is about 125bhp per cylinder......I'm not saying its impossible, but they are really jumping in at the deep end with that one and will hardly be making thinks easy for themselves.......that is going to be a thermal nightmare as far as the piston design is concerned, no black smoke allowed either.......best of luck!!!!........I shall watch with much interest.......dual turbo is nothing special, it sounds like great marketing but it dosent have a great deal to offer on such a low revving engine with a narrow power band........oh and standard engine castings too, man they are brave with talk like that, but I guess LMP2 rules dictate it.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3093786)   #9
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Please please please no! I can just about take a few diesels at the front but this is not good at all.
Old 17 Jun 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3093788)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am hoping for a good show with it. This is neat, all this a far cry from the Taurus sport LMP that used the big caterpillar diesel, I loved the way that thing growled
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3093809)   #11
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
while I think its great to have Mazda back, I was listening about this on Eurosport and I must say alarm bells were ringing, 2.2L 4 cylinder twin turbo diesel in LMP2......in terms of power per cylinder this thing will be more highly strung than Audis LMP1 V6 turbo-diesel........Audi are rumored to be nudging 600bhp, so thats 100bhp per cylinder, and that was quite a push for Audi having stepped down from a V12 then a V10.......back in the Peugeot V12 days they had 745bhp so only 62bhp per cylinder.......if Mazda are aiming for LMP2 they must be aiming in the region of 480-500bhp, which is about 125bhp per cylinder......I'm not saying its impossible, but they are really jumping in at the deep end with that one and will hardly be making thinks easy for themselves.......that is going to be a thermal nightmare as far as the piston design is concerned, no black smoke allowed either.......best of luck!!!!........I shall watch with much interest.......dual turbo is nothing special, it sounds like great marketing but it dosent have a great deal to offer on such a low revving engine with a narrow power band........oh and standard engine castings too, man they are brave with talk like that, but I guess LMP2 rules dictate it.
They also plan to race this engine in Grand Am's new GX-class, but with a target output of 400hp. Could it be that they'll go for that number in LMP racing as well and then lobby for weight breaks or try to make up for it through torque and fuel consumption?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 00:05 (Ref:3093875)   #12
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the current cost-capped LMP2, what's the maximum price per engine? Or is the cost capped for the whole package?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3094164)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
My bro has a Mazda ..... Im off out to set it alight right now !!!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 15:50 (Ref:3094167)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

P2 should be open toppers ..... thats costcutting for a start , or am I missing something ?
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3094193)   #15
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
P2 should be open toppers ..... thats costcutting for a start , or am I missing something ?
I guess not if the tub can be shared between P1 and P2. Might be irrelevant in 2014 anyway.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3094206)   #16
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
In the current cost-capped LMP2, what's the maximum price per engine? Or is the cost capped for the whole package?
Cars without engine must be no more than € 355,000.

For engines, here's the basics...
If the engine is sold:
€ 75,000 max
€ 35,000 rebuild
30 hour engine life between rebuilds (goes to 50 hours for 2013)

If the engine is leased:
€ 1,650 per hour (30 h between rebuilds)
€ 1,150 per hour starting in 2013 (50 h between rebuilds)

If an engineer is required to run the engine management, it must be included in the prices above.
That price includes anything mechanically necessary to run the engine: all the internals, pumps, manifolds, turbos (if fitted), wiring, and part of the ECU price.

Source: 2012 FIA prototype regulations.

Last edited by Duff_44; 18 Jun 2012 at 16:57. Reason: Misread initial question...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3094771)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

Those kinda prices may tell with respect to reliability .
Old 19 Jun 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3095063)   #18
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please tell me Dempsey will also show up with a non-Lola chassis...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3095175)   #19
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
If the engine is sold:
€ 75,000 max
€ 35,000 rebuild
30 hour engine life between rebuilds (goes to 50 hours for 2013)

If the engine is leased:
€ 1,650 per hour (30 h between rebuilds)
€ 1,150 per hour starting in 2013 (50 h between rebuilds)
Will it be something extraordinary to built a reliable and powerful diesel engine within that money?
Old 19 Jun 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3095182)   #20
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Like knighty, I am skeptical that they can get 450+ bhp from a 2.2 liter 4 cilinder turbo diesel engine. A 3 liter 6 cilinder engine would have been a much better starting point.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 23:21 (Ref:3095198)   #21
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...-debrief-lm24/
Little note, Status GP is also in negotiations to run the Mazda LMP2 engine next year
Old 20 Jun 2012, 20:30 (Ref:3095643)   #22
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Interview with Mazda Motorsports director John Doonan: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...h-john-doonan/
Old 8 Jan 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3351508)   #23
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Point is that Mazda P2 diesel is WAYYYY behind schedule.
in the middle of last year, I did say on this forum on another post that I highly suspect these guys from SpeedSource have bitten off far more than they can chew.......looking at the words recently coming out of this project during the Daytona test, I am suspecting a serious case of smoke and mirrors........and when you compare this to their last effort it does look like its doomed to fail, but I'm happy to be proven wrong........based on the fact they are approx 10 seconds of the front pace LMP2 cars I suspect they have a lot less than the 456bhp they are quoting.......I suspect around 350bhp........to be on the pace they will need just over 500bhp.......this is totally and completely unrealistic form a 4 cylinder 2.2 cylinder production based turbo-diesel engine, even with a huge state of tune, really I feel quite qualified to say this as some of you know what I do for a living......really they should have used a 3.0 V6 TDI base engine, and 500bhp would have been easy........really this is just a bunch of tuners with minimal Mazda involvement, despite all the stickers splashed all over the car........I dont see many Japaneese engineers in their organisation, so its not a full factory Mazda effort.........they talk the talk in the press, but I dont see any credible performance yet, and they have had PLENTY of time to prepare, this could turn into a PR nightmare for Mazda.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3351600)   #24
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
in the middle of last year, I did say on this forum on another post that I highly suspect these guys from SpeedSource have bitten off far more than they can chew.......looking at the words recently coming out of this project during the Daytona test, I am suspecting a serious case of smoke and mirrors........and when you compare this to their last effort it does look like its doomed to fail, but I'm happy to be proven wrong........based on the fact they are approx 10 seconds of the front pace LMP2 cars I suspect they have a lot less than the 456bhp they are quoting.......I suspect around 350bhp........to be on the pace they will need just over 500bhp.......this is totally and completely unrealistic form a 4 cylinder 2.2 cylinder production based turbo-diesel engine, even with a huge state of tune, really I feel quite qualified to say this as some of you know what I do for a living......really they should have used a 3.0 V6 TDI base engine, and 500bhp would have been easy........really this is just a bunch of tuners with minimal Mazda involvement, despite all the stickers splashed all over the car........I dont see many Japaneese engineers in their organisation, so its not a full factory Mazda effort.........they talk the talk in the press, but I dont see any credible performance yet, and they have had PLENTY of time to prepare, this could turn into a PR nightmare for Mazda.
Touche my friend!

Speedsource were lucky that they stumbled into their place with the rotary GT, did a good job and one thinks now that they should have been content being at this level and stayed put.

Clearly I do not know what level of involvement Mazda actually has with the team, but your comments regards the engine probably are correct. People I know have echoed the same that the engine even in roadcar form, is nothing special whatsoever. Are Speedsource the greatest engine builders out there? Don't know that answer, but looking into the goldfish bowl several times at the track last year, it seemed obvious that there appeared to be a fairly large degree of not knowing where to turn next and a chunk of lost people wandering around.

I also read that they commented about going to Le Mans with a class winning car? Hello people, no diesels permitted in LMP2, so far as I am aware?

Anyway, good luck to them in this venture, but one wonders how long Mazda wants to be soooo far off the pace and keep paying for their performance, or lack of it?
Old 8 Jan 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3351649)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Speedsource were able to get the motor to work in the GTX car last year. I have no idea what the power figures were, but they got the car to last for the typical 2:45 races. Heck I think one car even lasted for the 6 hours at the Glen.

I suspect you are correct knighty and they simply cant get the power they need for prototypes out of the 4 cylinder. That would explain the reliability problems they have been having. I hope they get the beast sorted enough to at least make it to the end of some of the races this season, but I don't see them as being competitive.