Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 May 2015, 01:33 (Ref:3536917)   #26
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't care for Mexico or Montreal F1 tracks but regarding this new development:

Work on the changes began at 1pm local time today, with an expected completion date between the end August and September 2015.

So
1) That's a relatively fast timetable
2) Could mean we have WEC at Kyalami as soon as next year!

Which would be superb. And the new configuration looks alright enough. "Advice from Charlie Whitning" is still bit worrysome though, as to what extent they add asphalt runoff to ruin the natural terrain. But the - theoretical - video didn't look too bad.

Also, why do they need the opinion of Formula 1 race director specifically? I really, really hope there isn't some distant grand plan to turn it into Grade 1 steriledrome in 5 years time.

Last edited by Deleted; 13 May 2015 at 01:45.
Old 13 May 2015, 01:59 (Ref:3536922)   #27
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Just guessing but could Whiting be a FIA advisor or something regarding track modifications? Just like Roland de Bruynseraede is FIA's official 'track certifier'.
Old 13 May 2015, 02:04 (Ref:3536925)   #28
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe but I haven't heard of him inspecting tracks for Grade 2 purposes before. Grade 1 and other F1 preparations, many times of course.
Old 13 May 2015, 05:54 (Ref:3536950)   #29
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is music to my ears. I also like the return of the old names for the corners. They are part of my childhood memories. Kayalami is in part, one of the reasons I fell in love with sportscar racing. The old 9 hour was a major event in our household. It gave us an opportunity to see the "The big boys" (as they were termed in those days) come from Europe and race near by. It was also the race of course, that we got to see the 917's and later the 956's in all of their glory.
My father and I were members of the old "clubhouse" and I would dearly love to go back and relive some of those wonderful memories that I hold so dear.
Old 13 May 2015, 06:03 (Ref:3536954)   #30
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Montreal would be cool because its real high speed. Mexico City is probably even faster, but the new stadium section is a bummer. If Toyota can have their track (Fuji) on the calendar, itd be cool to have Porsche's!
Old 13 May 2015, 06:51 (Ref:3536964)   #31
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track requirements for a new grade 2 track compared to a grade 1 are not that much different. Maybe they are getting the track up to grade 1 standard. The biggest difference is infrastructure like pitlane, media center etc.
Old 13 May 2015, 11:31 (Ref:3537047)   #32
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I don't care for Mexico or Montreal F1 tracks but regarding this new development:

Work on the changes began at 1pm local time today, with an expected completion date between the end August and September 2015.

So
1) That's a relatively fast timetable
2) Could mean we have WEC at Kyalami as soon as next year!

Which would be superb. And the new configuration looks alright enough. "Advice from Charlie Whitning" is still bit worrysome though, as to what extent they add asphalt runoff to ruin the natural terrain. But the - theoretical - video didn't look too bad.

Also, why do they need the opinion of Formula 1 race director specifically? I really, really hope there isn't some distant grand plan to turn it into Grade 1 steriledrome in 5 years time.
The only corner with any significant tarmac run off in the renderings is Turn 1. There is actually not much run off generally because of the terrain and because the site is so built up.

http://www.motorsport.co.za/News/Dis...spx?niid=51108
Old 13 May 2015, 11:33 (Ref:3537048)   #33
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
This is music to my ears. I also like the return of the old names for the corners. They are part of my childhood memories. Kayalami is in part, one of the reasons I fell in love with sportscar racing. The old 9 hour was a major event in our household. It gave us an opportunity to see the "The big boys" (as they were termed in those days) come from Europe and race near by. It was also the race of course, that we got to see the 917's and later the 956's in all of their glory.
My father and I were members of the old "clubhouse" and I would dearly love to go back and relive some of those wonderful memories that I hold so dear.
Ditto, mostly.
Old 13 May 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3537169)   #34
Deleted
Veteran

It could get kinda crowded in the WEC calendar if they actually want to return to Interlagos too - which I kinda doubt upon the organizational disagreements

Anyway Kyalami would be the only non Grade 1 track on all ACO calendars (WEC, ELMS, AsLMS) - besides Le Mans which is kinda like Monaco to F1 level of exception anyway. Think about it.
Old 19 Jul 2015, 22:38 (Ref:3559614)   #35
Deleted
Veteran

Update
http://citizen.co.za/424750/kyalami-...rade-upgraded/

Very demolishy.

Old 19 Jul 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3559619)   #36
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they get it finished in time for the 9 Hours in November. It is planned to be the final race of the South African Endurance Series. It's a bit a refreshing change to the over-regulated FIA series. Basically, any sportscar will fit into one of their classes. They even have 2 LMP2 cars running there (A Pilbeam and a Bailey).
Old 19 Jul 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3559620)   #37
Deleted
Veteran

Yes even Audi and gang could race in that 9 hours if they wanted. But I don't think they've had the memo.

Anyway I'm sure *most of it* is ready by then, as in that they can race some automobiles in it without needing sand buggies. Though it will probably still heavily lack in infrastructure as they are tearing down all the buildings and surroundings and well
Old 20 Jul 2015, 00:37 (Ref:3559626)   #38
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Porsche Buys Kyalami

Quote:
Yes even Audi and gang could race in that 9 hours if they wanted. But I don't think they've had the memo.

Someone should send Audi the memo. I bet Audi would get a laugh out of winning on a Porsche owned track. Doubt it would happen though.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3559712)   #39
Mike E
Veteran

Better still, get all those soon-to-be-redundant Gibsons/Morgans/BRs/HPDs/ORECA 03s/Domes etc out there for an end of season jolly.

Wouldn't that be nice?
Old 20 Jul 2015, 11:53 (Ref:3559713)   #40
Deleted
Veteran

Yes.

And someone should tweet Rebellion.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:10 (Ref:3559719)   #41
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Or Kolles.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:10 (Ref:3559721)   #42
Mike E
Veteran

http://cdn.entelectonline.co.za/wm-5...7-15THJULY.pdf
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:16 (Ref:3559722)   #43
Deleted
Veteran

The run off area at Sunset being prepared. The gravel trap will have a section of tar run off as part of new safety upgrades.

Tar run off?
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:49 (Ref:3559736)   #44
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The run off area at Sunset being prepared. The gravel trap will have a section of tar run off as part of new safety upgrades.

Tar run off?

I assume similar to, e.g., the final turn in zeltweg / spielberg:
Part of the run-off is a gravel trap, the rest is asphalt (typical safety argument: better stopping possible on the surface, don't get beached, lalala).
If you get it a bit wrong, you can use additional surface to (re)gain control, if you get it mightily wrong, you'll need someone to pull you out.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:52 (Ref:3559738)   #45
Deleted
Veteran

If tar is just short for tarmac

Old 20 Jul 2015, 12:55 (Ref:3559739)   #46
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Tarmac (short for tarmacadam, or tar-penetration macadam) is a type of road surfacing material ....

In the context of a runoff, other than a bond-villain like tarpit, I cannot see any other meaning for "tar".
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3559744)   #47
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:

It is.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:14 (Ref:3559746)   #48
Deleted
Veteran

Aww.

Anyway after watching that virtual track drive video back few months ago it seemed like there weren't gonna be too many asphalt extensions.

Hopefully Charlie hasn't changed this...
Old 20 Jul 2015, 13:24 (Ref:3559750)   #49
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Aww.

Anyway after watching that virtual track drive video back few months ago it seemed like there weren't gonna be too many asphalt extensions.

Hopefully Charlie hasn't changed this...
It might be our 2 wheeled friends who change to tarmac as they prefer to land on tarmac to eating gravel.
Old 20 Jul 2015, 14:34 (Ref:3559772)   #50
Mike E
Veteran

There isn't much run off anywhere on the course because it is on a hillside. You can see this on the map in the story Chiana posted a page back.