Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3752541)   #166
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Am I the only one to think that this new deal "Joest & Mazda" could bring them back to Le Mans in the new set of rules in 2020?!?!?!
We could dream with a Penske Honda too!!!!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3752544)   #167
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Am I the only one to think that this new deal "Joest & Mazda" could bring them back to Le Mans in the new set of rules in 2020?!?!?!
Hey if Joest can convince the real Mazda to step in then I don't see why not!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3752548)   #168
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Naw, the DPi campaign (even when factoring in the Joest mark-up) will still be less than 20% of what one needs to spend on a P1 program... I don't think Mazda have that kind of cash lying around.
I think a DPI can race in LMP1-P.
They must reduce the weight to 830 kg, modify the suspension for the Michelin or Dunlop and an aerodynamic package for Le Mans.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:29 (Ref:3752552)   #169
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans is saved! Hurrah!

Le Mans is where it is at, rather than F1 with their small number of manufacturers.

Although can I be the first to say that it is clear Mazda will pull out of Le Mans.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3752561)   #170
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Le Mans is saved! Hurrah!

Le Mans is where it is at, rather than F1 with their small number of manufacturers.

Although can I be the first to say that it is clear Mazda will pull out of Le Mans.
Mazda are staying until 2040. With an all electric diesel. My sources told me. They'll also be at the Nurburgring last week.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 20:47 (Ref:3752567)   #171
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!

The Joest Mazda tie up is great news. I am looking forward to it, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself. It's a shame it isn't until next year, but that does make sense.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 00:56 (Ref:3752643)   #172
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
So do they count car makers by marque, or by direct factory involvement? And what do the rules say about a series with multiple classes in it?
By marque, and idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I've always wondered what is required to call someone a manufacturer. For example, the 1995 F1 season had 1 works team - Ferrari. All of the rest were private entries using engine supplies.
Engine suppliers are counted as manufacturers as long as they produce road cars.

You need four manufacturers to apply for World Championship status, but only two to keep it, so I'm assuming there is some interpretation of classes together. (P1 and P2 counted together maybe?)

Quote:
Mazda are staying until 2040. With an all electric diesel. My sources told me. They'll also be at the Nurburgring last week.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 07:39 (Ref:3752694)   #173
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Engine suppliers are counted as manufacturers as long as they produce road cars.
Nissan in the ByKolles in 2018. Ginetta produce road cars. Stick an Alpine badge on a Mecachrome (since they won't be allowed to do that in LMP2 come 2018), job done?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3752806)   #174
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Nissan in the ByKolles in 2018. Ginetta produce road cars. Stick an Alpine badge on a Mecachrome (since they won't be allowed to do that in LMP2 come 2018), job done?
Alpine isn't considered a manufacturer, which is how they've got away with being in P2. But Renault on the other hand . . .
Old 19 Jul 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3752809)   #175
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Alpine isn't considered a manufacturer, which is how they've got away with being in P2. But Renault on the other hand . . .
By 2018 they will be considered a manufacturer because they'll have produced a road car. That's why this is apparently the last year of the Alpine branding exercise. The new A110 start late this year in Europe, so they'll no longer be allowed in LMP2, so should then be eligible to sticker engineer an LMP1.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3752814)   #176
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
By 2018 they will be considered a manufacturer because they'll have produced a road car. That's why this is apparently the last year of the Alpine branding exercise. The new A110 start late this year in Europe, so they'll no longer be allowed in LMP2, so should then be eligible to sticker engineer an LMP1.
I forgot about ol' frog eyes being greenlit
Old 27 Jul 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3754650)   #177
isynge
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
So Porsche would appear to be gone. Once again long distance sportscar racing lurches into a crisis probably of its own making, but we've all been here before haven't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorSport Magazine, May 1976
Jantke of Porsche, and Neerpasch at BMW, know that this season could be grim, but they are sure Alpine-Renault, Lancia, Alfa Romeo and Jaguar will all be out to play in 1977's Silhouette series, leaving the sports cars, which are of little interest to the car makers, to die and long distance racing to make a partial return to the days when it meant something to win.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

GTEs have manufacturer interest, they're essentially silhouettes, and there are a lot of cars out there. There are a lot of series, maybe they make sportscar races something worth winning.

Somehow though the prototypes keep coming back in one shape or form or another don't they? They certainly did in the 1970s and fed into what we still think of as a golden era in the 80s.

I can't help thinking that while this is probably a nail in the coffin of the far-flung worldwide WEC it may also catalyse the ACO to step back from the FIA relationship and do something to keep prototypes at the forefront of Le Mans, and the halo effect of this will support some form of series for these cars (be it IMSA, ELMS etc).

Porsche will be missed, as will the spectacular hybrids if they indeed all vanish, but I can't help feeling a level of interest about what sort of creativity will come out of various circles to fill what feels like it's going to be a bit of a vacuum.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3754670)   #178
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems that the enjoyment of the WEC can't go on, shame for the LMP1 championship, it was going so well till first Audi left, then Porsche
Old 27 Jul 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3754680)   #179
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The WEC is not going away folks. They'll be around for sure. LMP2 and GTE is still very strong.

LMP1 is up to Toyota now because if they go, then I think you will have takers to buy up Perrins, Ginnettas, BRs, and CLMs. Get 5-6 LMP1 NON hybrids, plus the LMP2's then you could have a good battle on your hands. I don't think the LMP1 non hybrids will be that much quicker than the LMP2 cars.

GTE..I hope they rename it to GTLM in WEC too by the way, will still be a world championship. Plus the exclusive qualifying races as some races will be cool.

I wonder if some events will be reduced to 4 hour races, and its at these 4 hour races which is where the GTLM qualifying sprint races will be held.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 13:46 (Ref:3754687)   #180
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!broadrun96 has a real shot at the championship!
Does anyone have a written notice that the WEC would lose the world championship status immediately after Porsche withdraws to start 2018? We've heard 'it's rumored' 'we think' and 'They require at least 2 manufacturers' but nothing that links back to articles written by anyone with research and notations of what the rules says and what the FIA would do. And now that GTE gets world champion status would pulling it from LMP1 to leave the 'undercard' the series seems exceptionally foolish looking. But it is the FIA, so anything is possible.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.