Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Jun 2017, 03:45 (Ref:3740730)   #61
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
Sadly, most sportscar fans hate most Tilke Grade 1 tracks (I think the only thing keeping Watkins Glen from being a full Grade 1 is the lack of F1 or LM style garage stalls built next to the pits), and the Middle East doesn't exactly have a car/motorsports culture.

I'm not a fan of the sanitized Grade 1 tracks, but they're the only tracks that are guaranteed to have LM pit garages (though LM itself is a Grade 2), and all the stuff the ACO's VIPs want.

And I do agree with Akrapovic's concerns that if things go upside down in the Middle East, the race could be there today, gone tomorrow, which we're already there (albeit for different reasons) for COTA and Mexico City. And I know that spectator numbers haven't been good for COTA or Bahrain. And we know that Bahrain is on the schedule because the royal family is willing to pay for it, which is why the WEC hasn't raced at Yaz Marina.

A lot of this is basically a Bernie Eccostone money grab. Notice how when Liberty Media took over FOM that they're trying to move back to some of the more traditional races vs where the easy quick money lays. The ACO really need to take a lesson from that, and not just for the races on the schedule. They made money grabs by keeping Audi as long as they did, and getting Toyota and Porsche, whilst screwing privateer teams and creating rules that kept other factory teams out.

And right now, we've gone from three factory teams (two if you want to lump Audi Sport and Porsche Motorsport as part of VAG), to two, and if rumors are to believed, we might be down to one as soon as the end of the season. Though it's just rumors at this stage, John Dagys has said that some ominous news will be coming soon, and Hindy at RLM/Midweek Motorsports has been dropping hints that Porsche's future isn't certain beyond the end of this season.

Yeah, a new race is a new race, and hopefully the Kuwait track is good, and there's some good news on the privateer LMP1 front, but there's reasons to be negative or suspicious/worried about the future, too.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 03:49 (Ref:3740731)   #62
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know I would react to a Porsche pull out....
They are currently the only manufacturer pulling twice their weight with GTE and LMP1.

Where do you think the sport would be if VAG never bought Porsche?
Old 13 Jun 2017, 04:22 (Ref:3740732)   #63
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think that Porsche would totally kill off the GT program, since they're rumored to be trying to sell customer cars next season. But I can see LMP1 going by the wayside.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 04:30 (Ref:3740733)   #64
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Hindy said that in which week's MWM? Last week?

I need to hear it in context before I give any value to it.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 04:34 (Ref:3740734)   #65
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I heard of him dropping hints as to Porsche's possible LMP1 pull out over the course of the past few days. Can't be more than a couple of days old.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 04:39 (Ref:3740737)   #66
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Should be in these then...

Last week's MWM: http://www.radiolemans.co/2017/06/07...12-episode-22/
And LM coverage (test day + scrutineering): http://www.radiolemans.co/2017/06/06/le-mans-2017/
Old 13 Jun 2017, 13:09 (Ref:3740850)   #67
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hindy has made a few passing comments that he expects Porsche will leave soon. Also says Audi will be back for Peugeot. I like Hindy but I think he's wide of the mark on those.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:11 (Ref:3740883)   #68
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Motorsport Akutell (however it's spelled) are now also reporting rumors that Porsche may be leaving the WEC soon. The Porsche leaving LMP1 rumors do seem to be gaining traction since Dagys' cryptic tweet a couple of days ago.

As far as Audi being back before Peugeot? If Porsche leaves and VAG want a LMP1 presence, Audi or maybe Lamborghini (which Volkswagen Group put Audi in charge of) might be back in. And Peugeot, as we well know, will only be back if there's severe cost cutting, something that will make a return by Audi or an entry from Lamborghini easier.

However, I can't see either of these things (an Audi Sport/Lamborghini or Peugeot entry) before 2020.

It seems that the transition between regs weeding out factory teams and an entry slump is already happening.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:17 (Ref:3740884)   #69
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't see it being Lambo. The ACO is pushing the fuel and energy conservation route. That works for Toyota, Peugeot and Audi, but Lambo don't produce a road car below 5L, or with less than 10 cylinders. I could see a Lambo GTE before anything else.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:38 (Ref:3740890)   #70
Scorchess
Racer

Scorchess has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Motorsport Akutell (however it's spelled) are now also reporting rumors that Porsche may be leaving the WEC soon.
Provide a link, because if that's true it's very well hidden on the website. The LM24 preview article does not mention it.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:40 (Ref:3740891)   #71
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
But here's the critical thing as far as dieselgate (the coverstory that VAG used to cover the Audi Sport pull out): Lamborghini doesn't have a diesel, while though sales of them are still strong in the EU and elsewhere outside of NA (not that they were setting the world on fire there anyways), Audi had tons of them throughout their model range, and even Porsche has cars that use Audi diesel engines in them.

Granted, I doubt that dieselgate in actuality has little to do with VAG scaling back from LM--it probably has a lot more to do with politics (both within VAG and between them and the ACO), relatively low ROI for the WEC outside of Le Mans on a dollar vs exposure basis, and the ACO painting LMP1-H teams into the 8MJ gasoline corner, not to mention that it's taken VAG between Audi Sport and Porsche Motorsport the budget of the Mercedes AMG F1 team to run two programs by two different VAG divisions.

Even TMG's budget, even if they're claiming that it's quarter of their F1 budget, is probably north of $100 million if they're using their biggest budget year as the example.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:41 (Ref:3740893)   #72
Scorchess
Racer

Yeah yeah we've all seen that copy paste a few times. Provide a link please as asked.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3740901)   #73
Scorchess
Racer

A random forum post saying something that's not true is not a good source I'm afraid!
Old 13 Jun 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3740909)   #74
Melcor
Rookie

Bulgaria
Bulgaria
Melcor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
After cutting those races to 4 hours what next two hours, sorry but endurance racing is what it says, 6 hours is an absolute minimum no shorter or it will go the way of F1 boring processions.

Im totally agree with you.I love 6 hours format and anything less will be borring imo.The idea of longer races in some tracks will be wonderfull,for example 10 hours of spa(the track is really suitable for longer races) and it will be cool to end with some big race.Lets say 12 hours at Monza
Old 13 Jun 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3740925)   #75
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!broadrun96 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorchess View Post
A random forum post saying something that's not true is not a good source I'm afraid!
Ah yes, being critical and requiring proof of educated conclusions. Are you new to the world of pr? No company will outright say why, how or anything unless they have to so all you have in educated conclusions from people who can read and make their own conclusions. Not everything has to be typed out and signed to be fact.
It was fun while it lasted, have enjoyed the people I've met but the measuring contests and arguments over who's more insider and who's smarter has just made it not worth the effort any longer. It should be fun, not work and it's just work to find actual information.