Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Oct 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3771874)   #576
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmmm quite particular days, in two days ByKolles appear doing testing at Hungaroring, Ginetta announces that they sold three chassis, then the SMP Dallara is "discovered" and at the same time Peugeot says no to Le Mans.

I don't believe in coincidences.

We will read about Toyota leaving next monday?
Old 5 Oct 2017, 00:51 (Ref:3771905)   #577
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
hmmm quite particular days, in two days ByKolles appear doing testing at Hungaroring, Ginetta announces that they sold three chassis, then the SMP Dallara is "discovered" and at the same time Peugeot says no to Le Mans.

We will read about Toyota leaving next monday?
Probably they were both hoping to use Petit as a distraction so they could test in peace. Pug probably makes these calls fir next year at the Q3 organizational meeting, which would've been at the end of last month sometime I'd think.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 02:23 (Ref:3771929)   #578
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:

It's not a coincidence, but it's not a coverup, either.

This is about the time of year that programs need to get cars on track to reliably be able to get everything in order for the subsequent season. Although there have been some surprise exceptions on occasion(the Nissan DPi springs to mind rather quickly - didn't hit the track until late November), the majority of programs that haven't had a car on track sometime in the time period late September through mid-October won't be ready for the start of the subsequent season(if they show up at all that year), and as AoB noted now's the time that many manufacturers make decision about programs for subsequent seasons as well.

Put simply, it's all happening because this is everyone's target time period.

We could still hear about a Toyota withdrawal soon, but this isn't happening to soften it's blow.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 02:45 (Ref:3771969)   #579
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, we are at the point of not return for a car to make it in time for the first race.

2018 will be a particular year, maybe we will see some late entrances at the end of the year (or maybe for the 1st Le Mans race).

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Oct 2017 at 05:44. Reason: Copy of post from BR1 thread. More general topic points.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 03:52 (Ref:3771970)   #580
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The information out there is Toyota's staying. They just want to have the private teams on par with them in terms of pace.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Oct 2017 at 05:45. Reason: Copy of post from BR1 thread. More general topic points.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 08:16 (Ref:3771997)   #581
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Then either the LMP1 privateers will have to be massively sped up, or Toyota slowed down, or both. Even if they give LMP1 privateers nearly unlimited fuel flow, I can't see how they'd have the speed and reliability to stick with Toyota, especially in the sprint races. Even when Toyota had their horrible 2015 season, they were still miles ahead of any privateer team.

Every time privateer teams have gone up against factory teams, they've rarely been able to compete head to head. Even back in the days of the Champion vs Dyson days when the Audi R8 was near the end of its competitive life, Dyson rarely won against Champion, even though Champion were considered a privateer team by IMSA.

Usually Dyson had the speed to compete, but usually hand grenaded engines, broke electronic stuff, problems that the R8 either never or almost never had. I'd have to believe that the R8 being developed by a car maker vs Dyson's off the shelf Lola B160s had something to do with that, as well as the Dyson team's hot-rodder tendencies.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 10:10 (Ref:3772034)   #582
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well this has come at a crucial time. After Porsche dropped out, now Ginetta and BR are coming in, it means LMP1 can continue for some time hopefully
Old 5 Oct 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3772050)   #583
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Then either the LMP1 privateers will have to be massively sped up, or Toyota slowed down, or both.
The last ACO release said that P1-L and P1-H would be equalized, though I don't recall if they said they'd be doing that for 2018 or 2019, and as I'm on my way to bed after a VERY bad night at work(seriously I'd already BE in bed if I wasn't still in the process of forcing myself to calm down over the moron I had to deal with), I don't feel like digging it up.

The release also didn't clarify which way things would go, but the smart move would be to give a little more to the non-hybrids and dial back the hybrids to meet somewhere in the middle. It's the fairest all around, and doesn't add TOO much of an additional financial burden to the privateers, and I frankly don't think you need to do TOO much to the P1-Ls to get them halfway up to P1-H pace.

Sure, the P1-L pole at Le Mans was 10 seconds slower than the P1-H pole(and 6 seconds off the slowest P1-H), but we ARE talking about ByKolles, so I wouldn't exactly consider that representative of what a P1-L can do.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3772069)   #584
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kolles marked 3.24, and was a car pushed only by a brutal powerful engine basically, without any real aero development.
A better aero developed lmp1, pushed by a >700hp engine would mark quite easily 3.21 I guess.

Now, how to slow down toyota by about 6 seconds?
give >950kg, cut ERS to 4MJ, no more cofidential michelin tyres and decrease fuel flow a bit more.
Could be enough?
Old 5 Oct 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3772080)   #585
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
To make it fair with the private teams, Toyota should use a non hybrid car this season. That would make more legitim a victory. The problem is time to put a car together in the specification.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 13:35 (Ref:3772082)   #586
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
kolles marked 3.24, and was a car pushed only by a brutal powerful engine basically, without any real aero development.
A better aero developed lmp1, pushed by a >700hp engine would mark quite easily 3.21 I guess.

Now, how to slow down toyota by about 6 seconds?
give >950kg, cut ERS to 4MJ, no more cofidential michelin tyres and decrease fuel flow a bit more.
Could be enough?
Maybe. It's kind of a minefield though: The privateers have to be fast enough to make a race of it against Toyota yet not too fast to where they beat Toyota. Toyota spending way more than privateers is also a problem, and probably makes the program unsustainable in its current form — at some point Toyota will ask why are we spending so much more than BM, ByKolles, and the Ginetta team combined to (if the rules are right) barely beat BM, ByKolles, and some Ginettas?
Old 5 Oct 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3772086)   #587
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
To make it fair with the private teams, Toyota should use a non hybrid car this season. That would make more legitim a victory. The problem is time to put a car together in the specification.
Toyota would drop out straight away if that was the case, they have already said Hybrids must stay if they are to continue, cause that is the tech they want to display.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 14:34 (Ref:3772099)   #588
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Toyota would drop out straight away if that was the case, they have already said Hybrids must stay if they are to continue, cause that is the tech they want to display.
Yes I know what's their interest, but this season could be taken as exception because the lack of direct competition, that's the point I was talking about making a possible victory more credible.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 19:15 (Ref:3772153)   #589
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Well, let's put it this way; Though all speeds were slower in 2016, the ByKolles car qualified 8 seconds short of the faster Rebellion. So three seconds is a figure that a well developed P1-L could have over ByKolles in the current rules. I figure it would probably be more like 5-6 seconds.

And that's my estimation with no changes to the regs. Give the P1-Ls a little less weight and some more power I could see an additional couple seconds knocked off the Le Mans lap time, so you may only need to slow the Toyotas by 3 or 4 seconds - maybe only two.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 20:45 (Ref:3772170)   #590
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And they'd be cruising past the Toyotas on the straight.......
Old 5 Oct 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3772201)   #591
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Toyota's whole reason for being in P1 in the first place is promotion of their hybrid technology.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 23:50 (Ref:3772203)   #592
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The Kolles had potential to do a 3:21 at LeMans this year but never got a clean lap. At the beginning of the race, they passed the #9 Toyota at the start and were legitimately the fastest car in the speed traps race weekend (340.2kmh). But they had only a few months with the new Nismo engine and updated aerodynamics. The new rules will give the non-hybrid cars even more power (around 800hp) and the weight is supposed to be 830kg vs. Toyota's 878kg with ~600hp + hybrid.
Old 6 Oct 2017, 07:15 (Ref:3772256)   #593
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think coasting of LMP1-H is a dangerous thing when you try to speed up the competition, we have seen this already last year when LMP2s were quicker.

Solution to this problem is rather simple, just give LMP1-H a little more fuel energy per lap or reduce fuel flow and keep energy per lap as it is.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3773392)   #594
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
The Kolles had potential to do a 3:21 at LeMans this year but never got a clean lap. At the beginning of the race, they passed the #9 Toyota at the start and were legitimately the fastest car in the speed traps race weekend (340.2kmh). But they had only a few months with the new Nismo engine and updated aerodynamics. The new rules will give the non-hybrid cars even more power (around 800hp) and the weight is supposed to be 830kg vs. Toyota's 878kg with ~600hp + hybrid.
Maybe..., but with that speed they could run one or two laps before blowing the car
Old 10 Oct 2017, 19:09 (Ref:3773485)   #595
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Maybe..., but with that speed they could run one or two laps before blowing the car
How is that? They're racing engines. They're supposed to run high power for long periods of time, right? You think back to when Aston Martin ran their V12 in the Lola, that was a decade ago and they were capable of doing 3:25's. So I think the rules put in place could see those speeds easily reached. Lmp2's right now aren't far off of that and they weigh 70kg more than what lmp1 non-hybrid is supposed to.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3774094)   #596
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where is the FUJI weekend thread??
Old 15 Oct 2017, 01:47 (Ref:3774242)   #597
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
DSC mentioning a coming announcement for a new GTE effort for next year
Old 16 Oct 2017, 01:38 (Ref:3774410)   #598
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you suppose means a new brand, or just team news? Maybe a new Porsche privateer team?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 15:46 (Ref:3774513)   #599
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
Is BMW's operating team public yet?
Old 16 Oct 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3774519)   #600
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Is BMW's operating team public yet?
MTEK, moving from DTM. http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/le-...te-pro-in-2018