Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should Ron Have Signed Tommy Byrne?
Yes 4 16.00%
No 21 84.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 Jan 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3797172)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Jan though didn’t seem interested in F1. The story goes they left him in the Stewart motorhome to look at telemetry readout, and when they came back they found him playing minesweeper or solitaire! JYS did rate him as high as Senna in terms of talent, it’s just he was too lazy
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3797406)   #27
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 27 View Post
Agree totally, both sublime, both fully deserving of a top line Grand Prix seat, but that's where the similarity ends.
Tommy was the first to tell anyone how good he was, Jan was definitely quieter.
Where Tommy caused his own downfall, I firmly believe that JYS, having once held him in such high regard, single handedly ruined Jan’s future as an F1 driver. I read that in 98, Jackie took Jan (and later Jos) to Oulton Park, to show them how they should be doing it, only a mere 25 years since he himself had driven a GP car competitively..
Yeah, JYS did that with all his drivers apparently, Herbert and Rubens have mentioned it.

Makes you wonder. If he felt they were good enough to drive for him, why the need to patronise them like that? I wonder how he sold it to them???

"Nowww then Jaaan, the aim of the exercise is to drive sooooo precisely and smoooothly that the cup of water on the bonnet of the car doesn't spill"
Old 1 Feb 2018, 11:29 (Ref:3797412)   #28
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it ironic that JYS used to do this too, most patronising for the drivers......in the latter years of his F1 driving, the F1 Tyrrel cars that he drove were complete boats with very short suspension wishbones that caused a very "snappy" suspension system, which absolutely required the driver to hack the steering wheel and deal with all sorts of oversteer incidents, not smooth driving at all.

Watch this on-board footage from 1973 and you will see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkq8Q26N52g

The smoothest driver ever was Jenson Button........I run my 12 year old son to a professional level in MSA karting around the UK, I have employed numerous national championship winning 1:1 driver coaches over a 4 year period to get my son as fast and as smooth as possible.......in the last year we had 16 podiums, 3 wins and won a championship.......I respect JYS, but his talk on driving does grate with me.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3797534)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Tommy might have had some speed but in an F1 environment he would have imploded with all the responsibility involved and getting his party lifestyle under control. Him and Ron would have never worked, ever.

His only real chance would have been having a mentor/coach/agent that could have got him in order and kept it that way. Maybe after a few years of that he might have gained some maturity and perspective and got it together.

Someone mentioned that people in teams didn't like Mansell. Well most F1 drivers are not likeable people during their careers, but if they get the job done they are respected for that. What Mansell did have was a very strong mental application and self control. He had a solid family life and wasn't out every night partying till 5 AM or blowing all his money up his nose.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 19:49 (Ref:3797535)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yeah, JYS did that with all his drivers apparently, Herbert and Rubens have mentioned it.

Makes you wonder. If he felt they were good enough to drive for him, why the need to patronise them like that? I wonder how he sold it to them???

"Nowww then Jaaan, the aim of the exercise is to drive sooooo precisely and smoooothly that the cup of water on the bonnet of the car doesn't spill"
Well most people might not be aware that a significant portion of the current F1 grid has been through driver training with Rob Wilson using a Vauxhall road car. If you can't be precise and smooth with a road car it's only going to be exacerbated in an F1 car.

There is actually much that can be learned and to me you can never learn enough. We have coaches in every other sport and I think only in recent years have people come to understand that drivers need them as well. I think any driver that would consider coaching as patronizing is a complete moron.

I'm not a complete JYS fan but I do remember in the earlier seasons around 2005 or so, JYS taking James May around a track in a road car and by the end had shaved 20 seconds off his time.

Jan Magnussen was another who might have had a little turn of speed but never had the mental application or desire to be champion. I think he had his chances with McLaren, Stewart and in CART and he just couldn't keep it together. Again another person that would have benefited from a coach.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3797543)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well most people might not be aware that a significant portion of the current F1 grid has been through driver training with Rob Wilson using a Vauxhall road car. If you can't be precise and smooth with a road car it's only going to be exacerbated in an F1 car.

There is actually much that can be learned and to me you can never learn enough. We have coaches in every other sport and I think only in recent years have people come to understand that drivers need them as well. I think any driver that would consider coaching as patronizing is a complete moron.

I'm not a complete JYS fan but I do remember in the earlier seasons around 2005 or so, JYS taking James May around a track in a road car and by the end had shaved 20 seconds off his time.

Jan Magnussen was another who might have had a little turn of speed but never had the mental application or desire to be champion. I think he had his chances with McLaren, Stewart and in CART and he just couldn't keep it together. Again another person that would have benefited from a coach.
To be fair i was specifically referring to JYS rather comical attitude to his drivers, and not referring to professional driver coaches.

I am sure that Rob Wilson or the other guy (can't remember his name..) at least show their pupils some element of respect and intelligence.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3797614)   #32
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
To be fair i was specifically referring to JYS rather comical attitude to his drivers, and not referring to professional driver coaches.

I am sure that Rob Wilson or the other guy (can't remember his name..) at least show their pupils some element of respect and intelligence.
JYS has had a lot of goofy opinions over the years, but one thing you can say when they ran PSR in the lower formula was they worked to get their drivers looking and acting professional as well as having standards in terms of drivers learning their professions. The drivers who passed through that team overall seemed to have pretty decent careers or at least a shot at a decent pro career.

So in regards to Jan, I think JYS was trying to get him to get it together and after giving him his chance they had to let him go. At the end of the day this is a ruthless brutal industry of results and you either do the work or you get cut and shown the door. JYS was his boss, Jan was just a young guy that hardly knew anything at all and again, get with the program or find new employment. Personally I don't think he was ever that great anyways. I think he was just the Autosport man of the moment.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3798378)   #33
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely NOT! Ron Dennis should have signed the true 1982 British F3 Champion, the Argentinian driver Quique Mansilla, who was the best on the entire F3 grid, but due to political causes (Falklands et al) couldn't shine because his incomes were blocked by the European parliament. Mansilla could still compete because the team owner was sure the money invested by Financiera Munro will be given to him when the disclosure of the funds would be allowed.

Aside that, Byrne had a rocambolesque style of life to be a proper serious racing driver. James Hunt, despite his lifestyle, was more correct than him. Byrne has to be grateful to have these three GGPPs he got in Theodore, because when teams owners knew about his manners, they highly will doubt (as they did) that Tommy could be responsible enought to have a serious F1 campaign.

And Tommy's racing carreer after that largely proved what I said on these lines.
Old 4 Feb 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3798397)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Definitely he needed a manager did Tommy. In fact he think he actually said he wishes he had one when he went to meet Ron to discuss a contract, as his attitude let him down.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3806244)   #35
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The final results of the poll show that 14 of you thought Tommy had shot himself in the foot with his attitude and general misbehaviour, whilst three of us thought Ron should have bitten the bullet and signed him on speed alone.
I appreciate the test was only a prize for winning the British F3 championship, but if the manners and demeanour had matched the speed, then I'm sure Ron would have found a way to move Wattie aside..
What might have been!
Old 12 Mar 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3807517)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Would've Ferrari had taken him if he had Ferrari's ear and a space in the line-up?

Ron Dennis is probably the worst guy to approach if you are an *individual* let alone the hyper-volatile Tommy Byrne. I don't care how much of a drill sergeant type you are; you'd probably need a tranquiler dart to keep Byrne quiet and contented.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3807532)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

The thing is he probably didn't just cost himself a McLaren drive, but possibly a drive in another team. He was unlikely to get into McLaren straight away, especially with Wattie and the Rat already there
Old 12 Mar 2018, 18:56 (Ref:3807557)   #38
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
McLarens biggest faux pas must have been letting Gilles Villeneuve slip through thier fingers in 1977.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 23:49 (Ref:3807607)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
McLarens biggest faux pas must have been letting Gilles Villeneuve slip through thier fingers in 1977.
You do know what Enzo called Villeneuve?

"The Prince of destruction."

McLaren let Scheckter slip through their fingers too. A far better development driver, and less prone to dumb crashes.

Also lost Fittipaldi to contractual brinkmanship.

The biggest loss though would have to be faux pas would have to be one A. Newey though.

Last edited by wnut; 13 Mar 2018 at 00:05.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3807747)   #40
Tim 27
Racer

England
March,Cambs
Tim 27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

I think you'll find Enzo said that with wink under those dark glasses and a smile on his face.
Famously Enzo didn't care much for his drivers, but he did have a soft spot for Gilles, loving the fact that he always drove to (and above) the absolute mechanical limits of his cars.
And if you doubt my words, just ask Nigel Roebuck, the journalist closest closest to Gilles in his latter career.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 19:24 (Ref:3807776)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

McLaren let Scheckter slip through their fingers too. A far better development driver, and less prone to dumb crashes.

The biggest loss though would have to be faux pas would have to be one A. Newey though.

Villeneuve, Scheckter and Fittipaldi all raced under Teddy though. And Jody was a bit of a crasher in his first season
Old 13 Mar 2018, 19:52 (Ref:3807784)   #42
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Although Williams screwed up first Imagine if Newey had become a share holder. F1 history would have been so different
Old 16 Mar 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3808334)   #43
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 27 View Post
I think you'll find Enzo said that with wink under those dark glasses and a smile on his face.
Famously Enzo didn't care much for his drivers, but he did have a soft spot for Gilles, loving the fact that he always drove to (and above) the absolute mechanical limits of his cars.
And if you doubt my words, just ask Nigel Roebuck, the journalist closest closest to Gilles in his latter career.
Alas, if Gilles was noted for crashing cars, McLaren had Andrea DeCesaris in his files, who has the record of most cars crashed in a season, during his 1981 campaign.
Old 16 Mar 2018, 14:13 (Ref:3808336)   #44
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
And about Emmo, he'd have left McLaren anyways, the Copersucar thingy done by his brother was taking his time...
Old 24 Mar 2018, 09:29 (Ref:3810364)   #45
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had forgotten a polemic from Mike Lawrence on this very topic

https://www.pitpass.com/58775/Self-Immolation
Old 25 Mar 2018, 23:02 (Ref:3810750)   #46
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
I had forgotten a polemic from Mike Lawrence on this very topic

https://www.pitpass.com/58775/Self-Immolation
Ctikey, Lawrence ain't pulling no punches!!!
Old 26 Mar 2018, 09:27 (Ref:3810855)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

Seems he let himself down by thinking everybody owed him. In motorsport no one owes you anything, you have to work hard for it all the time. And the fact that he seemed to treat motorsport more as a hobby than an occupation can't have helped