Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 Mar 2015, 23:01 (Ref:3519187)   #1
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa Classic 22nd - 25th May 2015

I can't see a specific thread for the Spa Classic in May this year so maybe time to start one (mods please delete if one already exists).

Any Tenthers scheduled to attend?
Old 25 Mar 2015, 05:13 (Ref:3519235)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I can't see a specific thread for the Spa Classic in May this year so maybe time to start one (mods please delete if one already exists).

Any Tenthers scheduled to attend?
Gary, will see you there. I'm taking / running cars but not racing- unless there's a space in the truck and I win the lotto in next month!

It's Peter Auto Meeting for anyone not familiar, and runs races into the dark Saturday night. Was snowing when we arrived in 2013.....

Old 25 Mar 2015, 08:15 (Ref:3519270)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I plan tobe there with the Rover, if the FIA finally provide the HTP I paid for 18 months ago.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 13:00 (Ref:3519354)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Peter I would chase that as my papers came through on the Jaguar pretty quickly once the inspection had been done
Old 25 Mar 2015, 13:15 (Ref:3519362)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simon I have, the excuses have gone from, "sitting on someone's desk", to "we need to re classify your car". I don't really care what they call it, I want to run it as it was run in period.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 06:56 (Ref:3519664)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Here here Peter!!!
Old 3 May 2015, 22:05 (Ref:3533763)   #7
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heading over this year for the first time, not been to Spa for ages so rather excited.
Old 3 May 2015, 23:42 (Ref:3533822)   #8
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
It's still in the same place and still magic
Old 13 May 2015, 13:07 (Ref:3537073)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
We've lost one car that was travelling with me to this, so anyone need transport for anything? Long shot I know as most people prefer to tow their cars there themselves!

Also could be a space for l'Age d'Or at Dijon two weeks later.......
Old 20 May 2015, 20:05 (Ref:3539763)   #10
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the above posts, Mike's running cars and Peter's competing - any other Tenthers competing or running cars at Spa this weekend?
Old 21 May 2015, 14:16 (Ref:3539926)   #11
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are down there running (I think competing would be too strong a word!!) a 356 in the 60s endurance.
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 22 May 2015, 05:13 (Ref:3540089)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
We are down there running (I think competing would be too strong a word!!) a 356 in the 60s endurance.

Don't be so modest! I'm corralled in truck park, which is Paddock Bleu for those familiar with Spa. One car in paddock above, one down bottom of hill. Always get plenty of exercise here..... 😀
Old 22 May 2015, 06:01 (Ref:3540096)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We're in garage 20 in the endurance pits. Couple of long days ahead. Good to chat to Mike last night in the pizza place, what used to be the model shop when I first started coming here. Good pizza too.
Old 23 May 2015, 05:04 (Ref:3540331)   #14
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
We're in garage 20 in the endurance pits. Couple of long days ahead. Good to chat to Mike last night in the pizza place, what used to be the model shop when I first started coming here. Good pizza too.
Confirm good pizza! Wasn't going to have pud until saw Mrs M's ice cream, then it had to be done......

Old 23 May 2015, 06:37 (Ref:3540345)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Jealous.com, 2013 was the best meeting I've done in years.

My consolation is that we're in a really nice recording studio starting to record a new album, unsurprisingly, it's cheaper than racing!
Old 23 May 2015, 07:06 (Ref:3540348)   #16
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
My feet are feeling it this morning after a walk round the full circuit spectator areas yesterday in sunny and warm weather - hopefully less energetic today! The last race is scheduled to finish at 11.15pm so a long day in prospect - long periods just watching from the stands sounds appealing especially with this view:
Attached Thumbnails
GXE14592_10Tenths.jpg  
Old 23 May 2015, 08:36 (Ref:3540366)   #17
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
My feet are feeling it this morning after a walk round the full circuit spectator areas yesterday in sunny and warm weather - hopefully less energetic today! The last race is scheduled to finish at 11.15pm so a long day in prospect - long periods just watching from the stands sounds appealing especially with this view:
That is a great view!

For those of us unable to attend, timing and results are available at:

http://peterautoracing.alkamelsystems.com/
Old 23 May 2015, 09:09 (Ref:3540370)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
We're struggling due to a hole in the diff casing. Not sure what to do at the moment. Two one hour races today and the last one in full darkness. I'm running at 9/10s. No change there then.
Old 23 May 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3540507)   #19
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Popped down a couple of times to say 'hello' Peter but the garage was empty - apart from an axle laid on the ground! Then just saw you getting in the car for the night race but didn't want to interrupt as no doubt you were 'in the zone'.

Might have got a couple of snaps in the darkness but haven't a clue what cars I was pointing at half the time - it did get a bit gloomy. Glad to see you got out again.
Old 23 May 2015, 22:27 (Ref:3540508)   #20
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
That is a great view!
Thanks Malcolm. Only my second visit here - although it's great to watch I find it very frustrating for photography with so much high fencing. Necessary evil I suppose. So spent a fair bit of time just watching, which after all is probably the best idea here - unless you're driving of course.
Old 23 May 2015, 22:48 (Ref:3540512)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes it was a small class but I was the quickest in daylight. Never really got any rhythm after only three laps before the diff broke. The replacement began whining after three laps so I wasn't sure I'd finish.

When the safety car came out the pitlane hadn't opened so we had one lap before coming in. That allowed my remaining class rival to catch up.
Old 24 May 2015, 06:17 (Ref:3540549)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Was sorry to hear about your axle prob, Peter. Glad you made second race, despite.

Our 60s Endurance 2hr race was SC free and fast paced! Team (Morgan SLR, owner John Emberson and Bill Wykeham) ran strong all way through, but were just pipped for class honours on the road, Bill finishing nose to tail with a Healey and 911 for 3rd. However, we already knew that the other two cars had time penalties for exceeding track limits! Result was 10th O/A and GT3 class win. There were many penalties applied for track limits and overtaking under yellows, so keeping 'your nose clean' was definitely a good strategy.....

Next up, CER race after lunch. Little B8 was flying in qualy, so fingers crossed!

Old 24 May 2015, 06:32 (Ref:3540550)   #23
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Impressed with the lap times 3 10 of Will Stevens in 356.

Those SLR Morgan's are very quick. I am sure real historic cars!

Cobra doing 2 49. 9 second a lap improvement in eight years . Interesting.
Old 24 May 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3540573)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Impressed with the lap times 3 10 of Will Stevens in 356.

Those SLR Morgan's are very quick. I am sure real historic cars!
356s don't come much quicker than the Steven's family machine! Hence my comment about Will being too modest....

And re SLRs, Having spent time with all 3, I'd say they are more historic than a lot of today's grids! They're simple, strong and use well proven oily bits- And the body shape is very slippery. The bare alloy car John owns is probably most original of the 3. A good Healey with equal drivers is quicker, but TR4s are heavy and brick like, Simca Abarths very quick but fragile, 911s usually in under 2 litre class, even if not......

Old 24 May 2015, 09:12 (Ref:3540583)   #25
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Yep!

We were involved with AVK SLR a few years ago and surprised at how much potential they had.
Seems you have unlocked it!

Could get close to 3 02's in time

Bill Stephens is the best preparer of 356's in UK and Will a good peddler.Must be good as driving my 356 at Silverstone Festival. Probably find a difference between a disc brakes car as at Spa and drum brakes at Sillystone.
The 2 litre 911's are now in general to size now the preparers are getting over 200 bhp.
The best Simca Abarths are as quick as 904's but unfortunately the Paul Hocking car is not racing this year due to his major motorcycle accident and it wasn't his fault!
Think we will do Paul Ricard to see how you lot perform.