Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 May 2015, 12:04 (Ref:3539893)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HSCC Donington Park 30th of May

anybody going, only a few weeks after the Historic Festival ?

DBT and CF3 grids have just been amalgamated
Ill race my March 752 F2 in the DTB

I have now entered my trusty Brabham FJ in CRC

R.E.
Old 22 May 2015, 07:41 (Ref:3540107)   #2
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provis..._Donington.pdf
Old 22 May 2015, 14:46 (Ref:3540188)   #3
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
oh dear....

the CRC grid is veeeery thin

Rudolf
Old 22 May 2015, 15:19 (Ref:3540198)   #4
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can we please have no mobbing of the SC, it'll be a Mazda 6 (probably), to go faster during the DBT pace laps, so don't expect speeds like the Jag gave.
Old 24 May 2015, 19:32 (Ref:3540782)   #5
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
can we pls have no safety car in DBT !!
if that can possibly be helped....

purleeeeeeeese...

nobody stranding in the beaches at the chicane or Redgate would help

R.E.

Last edited by Rudernst; 24 May 2015 at 19:42.
Old 24 May 2015, 20:49 (Ref:3540821)   #6
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post

purleeeeeeeese...

R.E.

Despite Ian's (Chigley's) obvious fondness for the Mazda's competence as a well rounded "do anything" vehicle in which to spend the day I have to agree that a sensible approach from the competitors, especially for DBT, would be desirable.

I have memories (and photos) of the "Pace Care" half spinning off at Redgate during the green flag laps in front the Group C field a few years ago. It might be a little embarrassing to be around to observe a repeat performance.

Old 25 May 2015, 00:53 (Ref:3540895)   #7
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
I have memories (and photos) of the "Pace Care" half spinning off at Redgate during the green flag laps in front the Group C field a few years ago
3 rules for any SC driver that's are under my "care"
Don't bin it
Don't spin it
Any bo**ockings are mine.

Last edited by Chigley; 25 May 2015 at 00:55. Reason: Blame the auto censor
Old 25 May 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3540964)   #8
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
wanst it at the Masters Donington Revied meeting that the safety car driver spun it at Redgate and later got nominated "Driver of the Weekend" to rub it in ?

R.E.
Old 26 May 2015, 00:32 (Ref:3541243)   #9
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:
wanst it at the Masters Donington Revied meeting that the safety car driver spun it at Redgate and later got nominated "Driver of the Weekend" to rub it in ?

R.E.
I know who it was and I'm not telling! Suffice to say it wasn't whilst I was in the car or at the meeting.
Old 26 May 2015, 12:17 (Ref:3541375)   #10
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ill be out in the elfin in the hf3 class in crc if it helps Rudolf,

FF2000 should be good as well its a Stella line up this year for the championship
Old 26 May 2015, 15:43 (Ref:3541435)   #11
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralt-racer View Post

FF2000 should be good as well its a Stella line up this year for the championship

hmm...
Benn

It would help a lot if You finished behind me
not that this has ever happened before

ill have to make best use of the extra 100 ccm then

Rudolf
Old 28 May 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3542008)   #12
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Local information update for anyone heading to Donington in the near future.

The Maharajah Indian restaurant (Formerly the Turk's Head pub) in the centre of the village seems to have re-opened.

There are rumours that the 4th curry house - The Rose of Bengal - looks like it too is about to re-open but it's not clear whether it will available this weekend.

The Castle Inn gets a recommendation from me now that I have been there. Excellent pizzas and things generally Italian in nature. Very busy on a Wednesday evening so presumably it's the same at weekends. Booking probably advisable, perhaps even necessary.
Old 28 May 2015, 18:24 (Ref:3542166)   #13
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Local information update for anyone heading to Donington in the near future.

The Maharajah Indian restaurant (Formerly the Turk's Head pub) in the centre of the village seems to have re-opened.

There are rumours that the 4th curry house - The Rose of Bengal - looks like it too is about to re-open but it's not clear whether it will available this weekend.

The Castle Inn gets a recommendation from me now that I have been there. Excellent pizzas and things generally Italian in nature. Very busy on a Wednesday evening so presumably it's the same at weekends. Booking probably advisable, perhaps even necessary.
Maharajah's appears to have reopened as a bar and grill. No idea what it's like but can't be worse than it was as a so called "curry house". I'd probably still be reluctant to try it!

Rose of Bengal is due to re open today, I think, but not completely sure, having been completely refurbished. It used to be a decent curry house and I will try it soon.

The Nags Head at the top of the village, near the circuit, is no longer a "biker friendly rock pub" (short lived!) and is now returned to being a bar and bistro.
Old 31 May 2015, 17:18 (Ref:3543474)   #14
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Quote:

purleeeeeeeese...

R.E.
That statement was a bit prophetic Glad the injuries that occurred weren't serious and everyone drove away from the circuit.

Rudolf I've been wanting to meet you, but not through the rear window of the SC, I hope you weren't held up too much and managed to catch the back of the train in time for the restart.
Old 31 May 2015, 20:04 (Ref:3543523)   #15
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
That statement was a bit prophetic Glad the injuries that occurred weren't serious and everyone drove away from the circuit.

Rudolf I've been wanting to meet you, but not through the rear window of the SC, I hope you weren't held up too much and managed to catch the back of the train in time for the restart.
Good observation Ian.

There was a point at which I was about to drop by the SC and say hello - then you got a "shout" and the rest of my day became a little busy away form the pits - as did yours iirc.
Old 31 May 2015, 21:27 (Ref:3543537)   #16
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post

thanx for waving me by
and yes, I made it back to the end of the crododile in time
s/c was slow enough for that

Rudolf
Old 31 May 2015, 21:29 (Ref:3543539)   #17
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:

Benn, your drive in the one litre car to third place against the larger cars was rather special !!

Rudolf
Old 31 May 2015, 21:54 (Ref:3543549)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Benn, your drive in the one litre car to third place against the larger cars was rather special !!

Rudolf
Very true.

I was watching from the DPRAC compound at Hollywood from where you can see a lot of the circuit.

The way Benn made up ground around Redgate, Old Hairpin and, somehow, in the section between Schwantz and Coppice lap after lap was just great to watch.

I assume the same was true around Coppice and at the esses as well. Fabulous.

I liked the look of your new March Rudolf. Be sure to mount the transponder at the very front of the nose. Remember that .002 of a second can be the difference between one place and the next!

Thinking of which ... how many years would one have to go back to find such a result declared to be a deadheat?
Old 1 Jun 2015, 11:35 (Ref:3543738)   #19
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Very true.

I was watching from the DPRAC compound at Hollywood from where you can see a lot of the circuit.

The way Benn made up ground around Redgate, Old Hairpin and, somehow, in the section between Schwantz and Coppice lap after lap was just great to watch.

I assume the same was true around Coppice and at the esses as well. Fabulous.

I liked the look of your new March Rudolf. Be sure to mount the transponder at the very front of the nose. Remember that .002 of a second can be the difference between one place and the next!

Thinking of which ... how many years would one have to go back to find such a result declared to be a deadheat?
that a common misconception, a racers myth that does not die
it makes absolutely no difference where the transponder is mounted in the car, as long as its in there and working, the actual timing is triggered by the cars nose through a light beam, the transponder signal just serves to tell the computer which car exactly has just triggered the beam

BTW: this is how the timekeepers know what times the cars do, that dont have a working transponder fitted, they just match it to light beam trigger events that are not matched up with a transponder signal

R.E.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:03 (Ref:3543748)   #20
ralt-racer
Racer

ralt-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Rudolf

Thanks Rudolf and Grant it was fun but we all knew the ending before it started for me! Those twin cams look great fun I'll have to get Rolty to put one in the elfin for next year there's bound to be enough bits to put one together in his workshop somewhere! The boys at the front had a cracking duel to the line which was something like a couple of hundredths between them at the flag!!

And glad everyone was ok quite a few spills this meeting for some reason??

Benn
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:05 (Ref:3543750)   #21
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But how does that work when 2 cars are alongside each other? How does the light beam know which one broke it? I know this has been discussed in depth on here before but either I'm very thick (quiet at the back!) or the explanations lacked clarity as I still can't see how the timing can work without taking its data as the transponder passes over.

If anyone would care to have another go at explaining, please keep it in words of one syllable......
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:09 (Ref:3543753)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
that a common misconception, a racers myth that does not die
it makes absolutely no difference where the transponder is mounted in the car, as long as its in there and working, the actual timing is triggered by the cars nose through a light beam, the transponder signal just serves to tell the computer which car exactly has just triggered the beam

BTW: this is how the timekeepers know what times the cars do, that dont have a working transponder fitted, they just match it to light beam trigger events that are not matched up with a transponder signal

R.E.

I have always wondered how the systems differentiate between 2 cars side by side - or even 3, perhaps 4 on some tracks.

But yes, where the transponder is fitted should not be something that influences the result, just the times.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3543755)   #23
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Rudolf and Grant it was fun but we all knew the ending before it started for me! Those twin cams look great fun I'll have to get Rolty to put one in the elfin for next year there's bound to be enough bits to put one together in his workshop somewhere! The boys at the front had a cracking duel to the line which was something like a couple of hundredths between them at the flag!!

And glad everyone was ok quite a few spills this meeting for some reason??

Benn
The official gap at the flag was .002 sec.

An great end to the day for those who were still around to see it.
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:22 (Ref:3543759)   #24
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rudolf is correct, it is the action of breaking the light beam that gives the official time. If two of more cars overlap then all the beam 'sees' is one break. That is what the timekeepers are for as judges of fact to decide in what order the cars broke the beam and they are aided in that by the transponders. If the transponders display it the wrong way round then timekeepers will manually intervene to correct the system.

It's not just the transponder position that effects it so don't get hung up on that. It is also effected by system noise, battery, shielding by bodywork, shorting on metalwork, whether the transponder is fitted sideways, front facing, on its back etc etc.

Last edited by gary396; 1 Jun 2015 at 12:23. Reason: Typo
Old 1 Jun 2015, 12:26 (Ref:3543761)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Rudolf is correct, it is the action of breaking the light beam that gives the official time. If two of more cars overlap then all the beam 'sees' is one break. That is what the timekeepers are for as judges of fact to decide in what order the cars broke the beam and they are aided in that by the transponders. If the transponders display it the wrong way round then timekeepers will manually intervene to correct the system.

It's not just the transponder position that effects it so don't get hung up on that. It is also effected by system noise, battery, shielding by bodywork, shorting on metalwork, whether the transponder is fitted sideways, front facing, on its back etc etc.
I thought you might be along soon Gary ....

So how can the transponders display things the wrong way round?

Based on lap times?