Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Sep 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3457621)   #101
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Access to that area makes the 6 hour pure magic amongst a few other things...
The grid girls! We were in our garage and my co-driver was talking to the Mirage guys. Iain was impressed that they were hanging on his every word, only to realise they were looking straight past him, as the girls had draped themselves over a car in the next garage.....

E Type #62, also in our garage, was a bit late to the party, only joining in after most of us had been going an hour. Apparently an electronic glitch in the ignition system. Hope the owner saw the funny side when I told him that my points and condenser didn't suffer such problems!

Here's a pic of box 41- 3 F1s, T70, E Type and Gilbert. Sorry about the local, he didn't want to move...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Bell; 25 Sep 2014 at 18:23.
Old 25 Sep 2014, 18:22 (Ref:3457622)   #102
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Tenther Albert Mensinga, 'dinkel' on here, was around and took some pics. He sent me this shot taken at La Source before my co-driver got the car dirty and bent the spotlamp....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 25 Sep 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3457624)   #103
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The grid girls! We were in our garage and my co-driver was talking to the Mirage guys. Iain was impressed that they were hanging on his every word, only to realise they were looking straight past him, as the girls had draped themselves over a car in the next garage.....

E Type #62, also in our garage, was a bit late to the party, only joining in after most of us had been going an hour. Apparently an electronic glitch in the ignition system. Hope the owner saw the funny side when I told him that my points and condenser didn't suffer such problems!

Here's a pic of box 41- 3 F1s, T70, E Type and Gilbert. Sorry about the local, he didn't want to move...
Didnt see Gilbert in the end garage at around seven thursday evening Mike, did you arrive a bit later?
Old 25 Sep 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3457643)   #104
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Didnt see Gilbert in the end garage at around seven thursday evening Mike, did you arrive a bit later?
I was there Tuesday evening! Car possibly hiding in the back when you were there, Terence. Or still at truck. As usual with garage full of cars in 3 different races a lot of time was spent juggling......

Old 25 Sep 2014, 22:02 (Ref:3457670)   #105
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, as an observer the garages seemed very randomly stacked; must be irritating esp if the car is in pieces as several certainly were...
Attached Thumbnails
SPA 14 057.jpg   SPA 14 008.jpg   SPA 14 034.jpg  

SPA 14 044.jpg   SPA 14 070.jpg   SPA 14 094.jpg  

Old 26 Sep 2014, 05:05 (Ref:3457734)   #106
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Indeed, as an observer the garages seemed very randomly stacked; must be irritating esp if the car is in pieces as several certainly were...
Yes, some were in pieces more than once! F1s are very labour intensive, and we had grandstand seats for a DFV engine change after qualifying. The car then went out and got 2nd and a win- but is now engineless back home as the spare went sick as well....

It was a big and brilliant surprise to see that Joe Ward had bought Baby Bertha to Spa. Joe asked Julian Bronson to co-drive, and the latter went out on slicks (his first time on untreaded tyres) in damp conditions, and put BB on pole! Joe was delighted, not only with the time, but also because he had to tighten the belts when taking over from another driver...
Old 26 Sep 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3457746)   #107
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last sentence made me smile!

F1 action was good esp as there were so few of them on such a long track; they stayed together well.

Brilliant to see the quality of design and execution in metal and preparation.
I like the garage walks far more than the racing tbh and the standards are very high.
BB was a treat to see, what a nice car that is.
Attached Thumbnails
SPA 14 147.jpg   SPA 14 204.jpg   SPA 14 203.jpg  

SPA 14 046.jpg   SPA 14 020.jpg   SPA 14 021.jpg  

Old 26 Sep 2014, 08:29 (Ref:3457761)   #108
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, some were in pieces more than once! F1s are very labour intensive, and we had grandstand seats for a DFV engine change after qualifying. The car then went out and got 2nd and a win- but is now engineless back home as the spare went sick as well....

There were a stack of body/mechanical bits outside on the two occaisions we drove past Thursday eve when the circuit was closed(Tour for some VIP Visitors from the UAE).
Would have liked to have said hello but the schedule was too tight, get back to Liege-jump into Mclaren and get it back asap to Nurburg.
Then bed to be ready for Friday morn/weekend etc
Would have loved to see BB out on what I think would have been its first visit to Spa.I did see Joe roll up in his motorhome but not to speak to.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3457861)   #109
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
......Would have loved to see BB out on what I think would have been its first visit to Spa.I did see Joe roll up in his motorhome but not to speak to.
I didn't realise it was going to be there - it did look impressive (well it always did I suppose):
Attached Thumbnails
Spa 6-Hour 2014_0104.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_0137.jpg  
Old 26 Sep 2014, 18:06 (Ref:3457902)   #110
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

It was a big and brilliant surprise to see that Joe Ward had bought Baby Bertha to Spa. Joe asked Julian Bronson to co-drive, and the latter went out on slicks (his first time on untreaded tyres) in damp conditions, and put BB on pole! Joe was delighted, not only with the time, but also because he had to tighten the belts when taking over from another driver...
Thankyou Gary, one of the most iconic saloons ever built! So nice to think of the hours I have spent on it in the past.Does it still "pop back"on the overrun? Brought down from the storage unit on one occasion-having to dd down to second gear-young girl on the pavement nearly jumped out of her skin.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3457916)   #111
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That picture on the right would make a great poster.
Old 26 Sep 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3457928)   #112
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
That picture on the right would make a great poster.
Cheers Alan - I got lucky with that one.

For the 'anoraks' amongst us, I had my back to the cars coming into the pits and just noticed it coming in so picked up a spare camera, flipped the screen out (it's one of the new mirrorless systems that I was trying out as a backup) so I could in effect lean over and look down at it. Didn't even have time to check the settings but it seemed to work okay so tried it on a few others - couple more below together with some track action from that session (Masters Touring Cars).
Attached Thumbnails
Spa 6-Hour 2014_0082.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_0129.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_0135.jpg  

Spa 6-Hour 2014_0182.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_0200.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_0220.jpg  

Old 27 Sep 2014, 05:33 (Ref:3458015)   #113
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

For the 'anoraks' amongst us, I had my back to the cars coming into the pits and just noticed it coming in so picked up a spare camera, flipped the screen out (it's one of the new mirrorless systems that I was trying out as a backup) so I could in effect lean over and look down at it.
Gary, you can get a very atmospheric shot there if it is foggy- the background appears all 'white'. Someone took a good one of the Gilbern there a few years ago, just a car emerging from nothing....

BTW I didn't acknowledge Mr Bronson's qualifying drive in Baby Bertha enough- it was his first time in the car as well as first time on slicks....

Old 1 Oct 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3459181)   #114
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
I forgot to include some photos of the Masters Historic F1 race, so here they are. It was during this race that I remembered I'd brought some ear-plugs - but had left them in my hotel room!
Attached Thumbnails
Spa 6-Hour 2014_1761.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_1813.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_1847.jpg  

Spa 6-Hour 2014_1857.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_1867.jpg   Spa 6-Hour 2014_1883.jpg  

Old 16 Oct 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3465735)   #115
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tenther Albert Mensinga, 'dinkel' on here, was around and took some pics. He sent me this shot taken at La Source before my co-driver got the car dirty and bent the spotlamp....
Hi Mike, good to meet up.

Only a handfull snaps from The Wall: the rain washed me away
Old 16 Oct 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3465737)   #116
Dinkel
Racer

Netherlands
Leusden
Dinkel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Struggling to see (late alone process) many photos at the moment - working on a small, ancient netbook, but managed to get a few of Mike and Iain in the Gilburn. Will try a few more later but loads to sort through and might have to wait until home tomorrow.

These are only small files, look okay on this machine so hopefully reasonable on something decent:
Cool!
Old 30 Oct 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3470052)   #117
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey chaps, bit of an old thread now but I visited Spa for the first time ever at this event. Just as a punter but had a great time, despite the weather (expected)! Still took the camera though, you can see some shots here - http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albu...-hours-photos/

Here's a couple I quite like, what a circuit!!!

cheers
Az :-)
Old 24 Mar 2015, 15:31 (Ref:3519041)   #118
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking at spectating at Spa Six Hours this year, having previously been to the 1968 GP as a young lad.

Any hints and tips please ? Looks like we can get local self catering accommodation at a reasonable price.

What's it like for photos from the spectator side of the (F1) fences ? Are there places you can get clear shots of the cars ? Using 40-150 zoom lens.

Thanks !

David

PS, I know it is likely to include rain, hail, snow, fog and maybe sunshine
Old 24 Mar 2015, 17:19 (Ref:3519085)   #119
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
A 150 lens may be a bit short for Spa although you can get reasonably close if you walk around the back of the track to places like Rivage, Les Fagnes and maybe Stavelot. I use a 70-300mm zoom and get reasonable results but one thing you will find is that anywhere there is the high catch fencing someone will have ripped a hole in it at convenient spots to poke a lens through. I'm not sure how they stand on photographing from the pit wall now but it wasn't a problem last time I was there a few years ago and at least you can walk unhindered around the F1 pits.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3519110)   #120
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
Looking at spectating at Spa Six Hours this year, having previously been to the 1968 GP as a young lad.

Any hints and tips please ? Looks like we can get local self catering accommodation at a reasonable price.

What's it like for photos from the spectator side of the (F1) fences ? Are there places you can get clear shots of the cars ? Using 40-150 zoom lens.

Thanks !

David

PS, I know it is likely to include rain, hail, snow, fog and maybe sunshine
Keep in touch David, I will have spare tickets if you want them,.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3519123)   #121
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post

The one thing with Spa is as it is a long undulating circuit there are many places to get good shots, also there aren't too many spectators in the way at this meeting usually.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Mar 2015, 18:37 (Ref:3519458)   #122
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
As Gordon said but adding that there are many "lense slots" in the fencing.Lots of other places that would suit a 150mm lens.
Old 25 Mar 2015, 20:16 (Ref:3519490)   #123
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
delta, much obliged; will keep in touch.
Old 3 Apr 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3523579)   #124
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen your post and wanted to say I visited Spa for first time last year for the 6 hours. Great event... despite the BIBLICAL rain/storm on the Saturday evening! I was behind the fences but had a little more more focal length. Great circuit for pics though I would say. Here's my efforts if you're interested to see - http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albu...-hours-photos/
Old 4 Apr 2015, 07:14 (Ref:3523653)   #125
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Some nice work / positions there given you were behind fences.

I love the one of the guy with the Media tabard using a compact-style camera!