Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Oct 2014, 22:10 (Ref:3459663)   #301
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re Teletubby

I resent any implication that the Marshals and medical team are anything but excellent for the event I'm afraid

Having been one of the Marshals there on the day along with my colleagues who helped in poor Rupert's extraction I wholly endorse and thank you for your comments.

Please leave it at that.

Bladders
Old 4 Oct 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3460549)   #302
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Thank you for clarifying the situation with the two previous major incidents and the matter is clear in respect to those.

That does not stop the fact that it is essential that care is taken in arranging incident response organisation to ensure Goodwood remains as the best historic race meeting in UK and things are done in accordance with the recommended MSA procedures.
Old 5 Oct 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3460949)   #303
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No worries John.

I'm confident that the incident response exceeds that required by the MSA, but I can understand the concerns especially as any accident at the Revival is about as public as it's going to get given the physical proximity of the spectators.
Old 20 Oct 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3466933)   #304
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been reading this thread with great interest and missed it earlier in the month because I have recently come out of hospital after an operation to remove a bony deformity in my forehead. Glad to say it was a huge success because I had one of the world's top craniofacial surgeons operate on me at London's Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, namely Simon Eccles who is one of the surgeons who transforms the lives of severely disfigured children for the charity 'Facing the World'. He is one of the nicest and kindest human beings I have ever met.

See: http://facingtheworld.net/

and: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMi8mdSKbM

However back on topic - sorry.

I have photographed many times at the Revival, especially around pitlane.

It is a very challenging environment to work in and you need to have eyes in the back of your head.

I watched this year's event live on YouTube and that traffic jam down pitlane was indeed scary.

I don't want to be a doom and gloom merchant but a very serious accident resulting in life changing injuries or death is a real possibility in and around this area of the circuit.

I have sometimes taken photographs from the outer pitwall but thought I was risking my life unneccesarily because that wall looks very flimsy in the event of a car turning 90 degrees head on into it at speed.

So the last time I was there in 2009, I stayed on the inside of the pitlane counter to take fotos of drivers changes etc. OK the fotos might not have been so good but I felt that I was safer in the event of an accident on either the track itself or along pitlane.

Goodwood is a wonderful event but run on a circuit that is far more dangerous than any other race track I have been to.

I wonder if the event would have stopped taking place if the late Sir Jack Brabham had died in his accident there?

PS. By the way I miss seeing all the wonderful race officials and marshals at Goodwood that I have been privileged to work alongside. You guys and girls are simply awesome ...

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 20 Oct 2014 at 21:54.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 10:29 (Ref:3467585)   #305
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paula,

never apologise for bringing us all to our senses regarding what terrible things befall mankind, and what fantastic people are out there doing pioneering and exceptionally skillfull operations.

Thankyou.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3467604)   #306
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
My brother was born with a pretty bad hair lip and cleft palate, we had numerous ops as a kid, right up until he was 18. lots of it at Frenchay in Bristol, some of whom were also involved in the facing the world project I think. Amazing people.

You wouldn't know my brother ever had anything wrong, apart from the fact he got knocked of his bike @ 14 and lost a few teeth!!!
Old 23 Oct 2014, 16:42 (Ref:3467669)   #307
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hiya,

I saw Mr Eccles yesterday for a follow-up and he mentioned a programme called 'On Assigment' that was on ITV in September about an Afghan lady who was born with a very severe facial deformity.

It's on ITV Player for only another 28 hours unfortunately but try and catch it as this brave woman puts one's own problems into perspective.

Here is the link. https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/on-ass...es-1/episode-6

The report is the last part of the programme and Mr Eccles features in it.

Take care

Paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Paula,

never apologise for bringing us all to our senses regarding what terrible things befall mankind, and what fantastic people are out there doing pioneering and exceptionally skillfull operations.

Thankyou.
Old 23 Oct 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3467672)   #308
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hi Joe,

These surgeons are simply incredible people, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
My brother was born with a pretty bad hair lip and cleft palate, we had numerous ops as a kid, right up until he was 18. lots of it at Frenchay in Bristol, some of whom were also involved in the facing the world project I think. Amazing people.

You wouldn't know my brother ever had anything wrong, apart from the fact he got knocked of his bike @ 14 and lost a few teeth!!!